Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 7th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Passenger

Default Zaandam Hawaii Cabin Question

My husband and I are considering the Hawaii cruise on the Zaandam. My Mom will be joining us and I am wondering what is the best cabin for 3 adults. We don't want bunk beds. I think a Verandah suite with a sofa sleeper would be good but they are very expensive. Does anyone have any suggestions or know of any good cabins for 3 adults? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old July 7th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Admiral

To me any verandah suite, except a Deluxe, is too crowded for 3 adults. Also there is no privacy curtain between the Queen/twin beds and the sofa.

Why not consider taking an AA verandah cabin on the Verandah deck, Cabins AA 136 or 138 on the port side - right across from these two cabins are 2 Inside cabins, I 6132 and 6134, that would be perfect for your Mother. On the Starboard side are cabins 6131 & 6137 with 2 Insides across the hall - I 6133 & 6135.

This way your Mother could have her privacy, her own bathroom and join you on your Verndah when she wanted to.

The only problem here is that the price for your Mother would be anywhere from 150-175% as HAL does not have single cabins. If you were all in the same cabin, she would only pay the price for a 3rd person.

If you don't care about having a verandah cabin, then some of the D category cabins on Main deck are for 3 people, but from what I remember the sofa, which "flips" to make into the 3rd bed is very short......it's not full length but more life a 2 seater sofa. If your Mother is short, then that's fine for her.

Maybe someone else on the board can help you more than I have.

The Hawaii cruise is wonderful. We did it twice and loved all those sea days and the beautiful islands.
Old July 7th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Passenger

Do the verandah cabins have a sleeper sofa?

I would like to get my Mom a separate cabin but I don't think we can afford it since we would have to pay the 150% for that extra cabin.

I think the sleeper sofa would be fine since she is short. But I am wondering if there is enough room for us to walk around?
Old July 7th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Admiral

Do the verandah cabins have a sleeper sofa? Yes, it flips to make into a bed. I know the one in the SS/SY categories on the Vista ships is very comfortable as that is where DD sleeps when she is with us.

I would like to get my Mom a separate cabin but I don't think we can afford it since we would have to pay the 150% for that extra cabin.

I think the sleeper sofa would be fine since she is short. But I am wondering if there is enough room for us to walk around? There is hardly any room to move around in these cabins on the Zaandam. Go to HAL's website and look for a photo of an AA cabin and you will see that there isn't much room for 3 people to walk around. Lots of closets and drawer space but that's about all. It's great for 2 adults.

I see you have asked this same question on another board, which cannot be mentioned. One of the people who answered you there, said exactly what I did about not much room to move around. You may have to bite the bullet and either book a Suite (S) for the 3 of you, or get Mom a separate cabin. Think about it - 15 days of "togetherness" would be too much for me in an A/AA/B/BB cabin.
Old July 7th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Passenger

Would you say that in a Verandah cabin with the sleeper sofa there would be more room for 3 people to move about? I know most cabins are small on ships but I am just wondering if it's worth it to pay the extra money to get a verandah instead of an inside. The price different is $3,000.
Old July 7th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSquirrel
Would you say that in a Verandah cabin with the sleeper sofa there would be more room for 3 people to move about? I know most cabins are small on ships but I am just wondering if it's worth it to pay the extra money to get a verandah instead of an inside. The price different is $3,000.
I wonder if you are getting confused about a "Verandah" cabin on the Zaandam.

There are 2 types of cabins with Verandahs.

Check out the photos of these Verandah cabins, by going to HAL's website, www.hollandamerica.com. Click "On Board our Ships", then click STATEROOMS. http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise...terooms.action

The largest and most expensive is the Penthouse Suite. Then comes the Deluxe Suite (S category). Click on this and you will see the amenities that come with it and a photo.

(tried to paste a pix of the S, but it wouldn't work.

Next click on the Verandah (A/AA, B/BB category) - they also have a verandah but is much smaller and as I said, I think it's too small for 3 adults.

Deluxe Suite (S category), is very large and plenty of room for 3 adults.

It's very nice to have a verandah, but what are you going to see for the first 5 days and last 5 - nothing but water. The first time we went to Hawaii, the ship didn't have verandahs (Rotterdam V) and we didn't miss it.

I wouldn't pay $3000 extra just to have a suite and verandah. I think you should look into booking 2 cabins on the Main deck - they are quite nice - maybe one inside and one outside - they have nice big windows.
Old July 8th, 2008, 12:54 AM
Passenger

We don't really need the balcony as we do have so many sea days. However, with 3 people I figured it would be larger with more room. I am still confused as to which room to book.
Old July 8th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSquirrel
We don't really need the balcony as we do have so many sea days. However, with 3 people I figured it would be larger with more room. I am still confused as to which room to book.
I think you should go talk to a Travel Agent and let them help you. They have brochures that you can look at.
Old July 8th, 2008, 08:50 PM
First Mate

Our cabin was 6208 verandah category BB. I personally think that would be crowded for 3 adults.

I agree, you should talk to a TA. You can get one on the website.

Pat

RCL Radiance
CCL Splendor
HAL Zaandam
CCL Elation
CCL Spirit
HAL Statendam 2x
HAL Ryndam 2x
Old July 10th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Passenger

Default Booked the Zaandam

Thank you to everyone for their help on this. I ended up booking an outside triple cabin. We couldn't afford to get 2 cabins and the Verandahs were out of our price range. Let's hope we don't drive each other crazy!!