Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 8th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Beginner

Default Public Restrooms?????

Ok cruise mates, I will be sailing next week on the Zuiderdam to Venice, Dubrovnik, Argostili, Santorini Catania Naples, Rome, Florence and Barcelona, my hubby is older and will need a toilet on our excursions, we are signed up for some that are 12 hours including the bus ride. Can you tell us if there is a problems with finding public restrooms in these countries? Is there usually a toilet on the bus??? We have encountered problems in France with the people not wanting to let us use their facilities unless we made a purchase. I know that a lot of you have an answer to this question, any help you can offer us will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks a bunch!
Crystalfeather
Sponsored Links
Old July 9th, 2008, 01:21 AM
Familiar Face

I have no idea if there are toilets on the buses, but my best advise is to head to the nearest and best hotel you can see - they always have lovely clean toilets in their lobbies and make sure you walk as if you're a guest, so there wont be any problems. If you do need to use public restrooms, carry tissues and have coins to give the "care taker"

Here are links to restrooms in some of the cities are you're visiting:
http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/...ic_toilets.htm

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/bluelist...t&list_id=5561

In Rome and Florence head into McDonalds
Santorini - good luck, they are scarce
Old July 9th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Cruise Maniac

Be aware that you often have to pay to use public bathrooms.
Even those sometimes inside MacDonalds etc as there will be a special cleaningperson.
So carry local currency
Old July 9th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I was just on the Eurodam in Holland and Germany. Our tour buses did have toilets, but that is no guarantee yours will.

I have similar paranoia issues. Limit your morning coffee and don't drink extra water. As mentioned, DO carry extra Euro coins. A WC visit can cost as much as one Euro, though 40 to 50 cents (euro) is more common.
Old July 10th, 2008, 07:23 AM
Beginner

Crystalfeather - We will also be on the Zuiderdam next week! Traveling with my husband, 13 yr. old son and my dad. We can't wait - this trip has been planned for a year, and we can hardly believe that it's finally here. The last time hubby and I cruised, our son was 3; Dad cruised as recently as March.

Look for us - Dad and I both have silver hair, hubby has bright red hair and 13 yr. old is 6' 2". We're hard to miss.

Cathy
Old July 10th, 2008, 10:10 AM
Captain

When in Europe, we always look for a McDonalds or Burger King to use the restrooms. They are always clean and sometimes marble.

We always buy a soft drink so that we don't feel we've 'abused' using their facilities.
Old July 10th, 2008, 01:17 PM
Beginner

Default thanks!

Incredible.....so glad we live in the US!!! Can't imagine Venice getting so many visitors and only having a handful of WC's. Thanks for your input...I will be sure to watch for MacDonalds!!! Good old MacDonalds!!! What would we do without them?
Old July 18th, 2008, 08:02 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter
I was just on the Eurodam in Holland and Germany. Our tour buses did have toilets, but that is no guarantee yours will.
You are lucky. In all of my cruising, including a TransAtlantic to Europe in 2007, I've NEVER been on a tour bus with a bathroom. I do find, however, that on longer tours there will be a stop at a restaurant or other venue where one can use the "facilities."

But, that said, to get from the pier to the town center in some of these European countries can often be a matter of a couple of hours. So plan your day accordingly is the best advice I can give the OP. In other words, don't take a water pill that morning.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old July 20th, 2008, 04:07 AM
Cruise Maniac

Donot forget to bring local currency or coins. Often you have to pay the lady that keep the toilets clean. (Even at McDonalds).