Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 11th, 2008, 09:00 AM
Beginner

Default Too young?

Hi all,

I've been invited to go on a HA cruise with my parents (10 day Roman Empire on board the MS Noordam, September 4th 2008) but just wondering if there will be people around my age there? (I'm 25)....Or does this cruise cater to the older customers.

This will be my first cruise too!

Hope to hear your thoughts and info.

Sponsored Links
Old July 11th, 2008, 12:47 PM
Admiral

James,
While Holland America is a somewhat upscale line that frequently caters to an older crowd, on a short cruise like this one, there will be a wide variety of ages, and plenty of younger people aboard. I'm sure you will find people in your age group and that you will not regret the experience at all. It will be a wonderful opportunity for you

Bon Voyage

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old July 17th, 2008, 12:56 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Too young?

Quote:
Originally Posted by james121082
Hi all,

I've been invited to go on a HA cruise with my parents (10 day Roman Empire on board the MS Noordam, September 4th 2008) but just wondering if there will be people around my age there? (I'm 25)....Or does this cruise cater to the older customers.

Holland America does cater to an older crowd, that is very true ... and you will get older people on this cruise for sure. However, because it is only ten days, you should get some younger people as well, including maybe even some families with kids.

Remember, all cruise lines are basically the same. The longer the cruise, the older the passengers. The shorter the cruise, the more young people and families will be onboard.

I'm going on a 35-day Hawaii/South Pacific cruise this coming September, and I already know going in that there will be a lot of older people. There will be very few kids, if any at all, and very few families. The reason is simple. Most younger people with families cannot possibly get 35 days off from work. Most younger families could not afford a 35-day cruise to such an exotic destination.

The next question I would have to ask is why you would think you are too young? It's not a matter of age, but rather what type of cruiser you are. If you like non-stop action ... lots of games out by the pool, always a party going on, etc., maybe HAL is not your line. But if you're looking for a more sedate, elegant and relaxing experience, HAL will fill the bill nicely. They have plenty of activities, but those activities will be more sedate ... games such as scattergories, coffee chats with the entertainers, lectures by the spa staff, shore excursion presentations, bingo, explorations speakers series, etc., etc. But you won't get "hairy legs contests" or belly flop competitions on HAL. Their cruisers don't go in much for that sort of thing.

So determine for yourself your cruise style and let that govern whether you are too young for HAL ... not a chronological age number.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old August 11th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Beginner

hey James,
I figured you have probably went on that hal cruise with your parents and I was wondering how it went. I'm 33 and I am going on my first cruise in oct. on the Eurodam. I'm going with my mother and I also had an age concern but I did take one of the previous replies advice and I booked a adventurous shore excursion at every port. I'm jet sking ,sea diving as well as parasailing and deep sea fishing so I shall see how it goes.
Old August 11th, 2008, 06:53 PM
Beginner

My kids are in their mid-20's and have cruised with us twice on HAL. They cruised for the ports and were quite happy. They have also cruised on other lines where it is more of a party atmosphere. It really depends upon what you are looking for in a particular cruise. My husband and I cruised the western Mediterranean in May. There is so much to see and do that boredom is not a factor. Enjoy your cruise!
Old August 11th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by TfromKy
hey James,
I figured you have probably went on that hal cruise with your parents and I was wondering how it went. I'm 33 and I am going on my first cruise in oct. on the Eurodam. I'm going with my mother and I also had an age concern but I did take one of the previous replies advice and I booked a adventurous shore excursion at every port. I'm jet sking ,sea diving as well as parasailing and deep sea fishing so I shall see how it goes.

TfromKY - In case James doesn't see your post, he hasn't gone on his cruise yet - if you read his post, he said he doesn't go until September 4,2008. I'd check back with him the end of September.

Our kids started going with us in their early 20's (that's over 25 years ago) and they always had a great time visiting the various ports and on board the ship.

Have a great time James and TfromKY.
Old August 11th, 2008, 11:00 PM
Captain

There will be people your age on that short a cruise.
Have fun.
Old August 19th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Too young?

Quote:
Originally Posted by james121082
Hi all,

First cruises are the best especially if mom and dad are paying!!!! Are you too young, will there be others your age? Not as many as on other lines and yes, HAL does cater to the older cruiser, but this doesn't mean you will be the only 20 something on the ship or you can't have a great time, the itinerary itself should make you just at the chance...

Nita