Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 18th, 2008, 07:51 PM
Admiral

Default Would You Do an Extended Cruise?

We read lots of reviews here about people's cruises, but I notice that most of them last for only maybe 7 to 14 days.

Would you ever consider a long cruise, say something 30 days or longer, that involved more exotic ports and lots of sea days?

Do you think you'd enjoy that or do you think you'd be bored silly?

Blue skies ...

--rita
Sponsored Links
Old July 18th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Admiral

If we could afford it and the right itinerary...YES!!! I would love to find out if I would we'd be bored silly! We just did our first 15 day r/t Hawaii and we were never bored. We would do that again in a heartbeat.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old July 18th, 2008, 08:04 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Cruiser
If we could afford it and the right itinerary...YES!!! I would love to find out if I would we'd be bored silly! We just did our first 15 day r/t Hawaii and we were never bored. We would do that again in a heartbeat.
Well, I don't know if this will help, but I'm doing a cruise on the ms Statendam this September ... Hawaii/South Pacific ... 35 days. I plan to do a virtual cruise report while onboard, focusing quite a bit on the sea days (there are quite a few of them on this sailing) and how they are occupied. I've found that the longer, more exotic cruises tend to have a lot more varied activities onboard than your typical ten to ten dayer.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old July 18th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryos
Well, I don't know if this will help, but I'm doing a cruise on the ms Statendam this September ... Hawaii/South Pacific ... 35 days. I plan to do a virtual cruise report while onboard, focusing quite a bit on the sea days (there are quite a few of them on this sailing) and how they are occupied. I've found that the longer, more exotic cruises tend to have a lot more varied activities onboard than your typical ten to ten dayer.

Blue skies ...

--rita
My friends did the Hawaii/South Pacific cruise a few years ago and loved it. They said they'd do another 35 days in a heartbeat.

Have a great time, Rita
Old July 18th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Admiral

Our first cruise was 20+ days thru the Panama Canal.
Our next was two 7 day cruises b2b.
We are doing a 14 day Alaska Aug 22/08
We just booked a 35 days cruise for Mar/Apr 2010

We find cruises of less than 7 days don't work for us/
Due to workload it takes about 4 days to relax and start to have fun and then the cruise is over. Also airfare plays a big part of the cruise. On a 7 day from Florida the cruise and airfare cost almost the same.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old July 18th, 2008, 11:08 PM
Admiral

I think one big factor in the standard 7 day cruises is the fact so many people still work and can't really be off for several weeks at a time. If my wife was retired, it wouldn't take me long at all to be booked on a cruise lasting 30 days or more but until she does retire we have to hold it down to 7 and sometimes 10 dayers.
Old July 18th, 2008, 11:54 PM
First Mate

We are doing 49 day cruise on new Carnival Splendor around South America on july 31 and with over 40 cruises we have never done more than 16 days.We have almost 300 cruisers from the other board on this trip and in addition we have over 900 from LJ our travel agent and based on the pricing with no fuel charges we have secured a heck of a deal.For the record we do have 110 days on Holland and do enjoy their cruises but this is a deal hard to pass up.This is a three segment cruise however most are doing all three parts.Because of the number of cruisers we are having special parties and gifts on this cruise and this is one of the main advantages of a longer cruise. It would be my guess that based on the cruise length that we will have an older group with a lot of cruising experience.
Old July 19th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Cruise Maniac

I would love to do a really long cruise. Unfortunately, I still work and even taking a 2 week vacation is difficult. As soon as I retire (in about 10 years), I want to do a world cruise. I can dream...

Ruby Princess (Inaugural) -
Celebrity Mercury (30th Anniversary) -
Old July 19th, 2008, 09:53 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by doopydozer
...We find cruises of less than 7 days don't work for us/
Due to workload it takes about 4 days to relax and start to have fun and then the cruise is over. Also airfare plays a big part of the cruise. On a 7 day from Florida the cruise and airfare cost almost the same.
No truer words. Our longest to date has been 30 days crossing the Pacific but we are booked for a 32-day Asia cruise. It does take several days to settle into a ship and allow ourselves to go with the flow. After that the cruise begins. Most other cruises have been about 20 days. And we will do a shorter one if the conditions are right but not if it entails a long flight to and from home.
Old July 19th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Cruise Maniac

we are still working stiffs and cannot book extended cruises, we are looking forward to the day when we can. I know alot of retired people who say thier lives after the typical 40 hour work week is behind them have adapted to routines that are more fullfilling and relaxed. It takes awhile to unwind on ship and those who are still working for "the man" have a different mindset than those who are retired or semi-retired............MD
Old July 19th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Would You Do an Extended Cruise?

Quote:
We read lots of reviews here about people's cruises, but I notice that most of them last for only maybe 7 to 14 days.

Would you ever consider a long cruise, say something 30 days or longer, that involved more exotic ports and lots of sea days?

Blue skies ...

--rita
I think for us it would be best to mix a land/sea experience for that amount of time. I can take up to 10-15 days or so on a ship, but beyond that would possibly be overkill for us. I went on a fly everywhere in the US and Caribbean vacation that lasted for well over a month and enjoyed the 3 and 4 day stops in many different places and Islands best. Being on one ship could work if the ship were the main vacation but for us itinerary is and for that amount of time I do want more port/land stay.

If those extended cruises do mix land stays, as in docking for a few days, I'd rethink that. Perhaps some do and I'm just not aware????
Old July 21st, 2008, 05:45 PM
Passenger

If I ever win the lottery or inherit LOTS of money that's my plan. I'd love a long cruise
Old July 21st, 2008, 05:52 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Cruises greater than seven days are our preference but something over 30 days would be a bit too much. We would probably go through family, grandkid and dog withdrawal that would be too hard to overcome.

Perhaps in a few more years we'll be ready to take the 30 day plus cruise but right now it's not in the books.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 21st, 2008, 06:19 PM
First Mate

Yes, I agree. We have done several 15 dayers, and that's about my limit.

We have aging and ill fathers, deaf DS and DDIL (who also has a seizure disorder). And~~~we have a 14 yr. old kitty.

Fifteen days is about my limit before I go into worry mode.

Pat

RCL Radiance
CCL Splendor
HAL Zaandam
CCL Elation
CCL Spirit
HAL Statendam 2x
HAL Ryndam 2x
Old July 21st, 2008, 06:59 PM
First Mate

We could only agree with most of the posting for we know we are fortunate in being retired and at an age where ailing parents are departed. As planned, we did not take a cruise until after retirement. All through our working years, money was set-aside for this and other retirement purposes. However we had no idea just what cruising would do to our lives in we completing five in the past calendar year. We plan to cool it a little now but to those of you, who set your goals as we did, you will be astounded at the extended days at sea and after 20 or 30 you will be planning the next adventure.
Old July 22nd, 2008, 06:16 AM
Admiral

I guess reading these responses has made me see just how blessed I truly am.

I too am a "working stiff" ... in fact, I work several "gigs" ... a full-time job and contract work on the side ... but thankfully, those contract jobs can be put on hold (I simply tell the companies not to give me any assignments for a certain period) and I am at the point with the full-time job where I have top seniority and about six weeks of vacation a year. I've been with the company about 30 years.

I love long cruises ... and I love exotic itineraries. Now if only I had unlimited money, everything would be perfect.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old July 26th, 2008, 10:54 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Would You Do an Extended Cruise?

No way. Far too little free time these days to get away. More into zipping about the globe for short intervals than kicking back for 30 days or longer. Guess it is a travelling auditor thing?

Quote:

Blue skies ...

--rita
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old August 1st, 2008, 07:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

I absolutely revel in long cruises. If it isn't at least 15 days we are not interested. The longest 44 days that went 1000 miles up the Amazon river.
We have done the Hawaii/Tahiti twice and are joining Kryos on her cruise. We sailed with her once before and it was a delight I look forward to repeating.
Old August 1st, 2008, 08:08 PM
Admiral

Zipping over to Australia and New Zealand from Texas over Labor Day. Plan to get a Pacific Ocean dive in (with adequate no fly time) and break my Texas-to-Maui over a weekend record.

My kiddo's cousin Roosevelt may had time to cruise the Amazon, but I don't have enough free time to cruise even the Comal River (world's shortest river - over here in Texas).

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusin' fool
I absolutely revel in long cruises. If it isn't at least 15 days we are not interested. The longest 44 days that went 1000 miles up the Amazon river.
We have done the Hawaii/Tahiti twice and are joining Kryos on her cruise. We sailed with her once before and it was a delight I look forward to repeating.
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old August 5th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Admiral

We have done three thirty day + cruises (South Pac, South Am. and Antarctica, and Hong Kong to Vancouver) and have loved each of them. Never even slightly bored for ten seconds.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old August 5th, 2008, 06:27 PM
Admiral

So tell me, how does this busy ol' auditor get down to tag Antarctica without taking more than a week's time off on a ship? Don't think there are any polar flyover routes to achieve the longitude and latitude and I'm not breaking out the DPV and cruising down there under my own power. Done the Penguin House sleepovers at Sea World with the kiddo, but that doesn't count.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richstacy
We have done three thirty day + cruises (South Pac, South Am. and Antarctica, and Hong Kong to Vancouver) and have loved each of them. Never even slightly bored for ten seconds.
Old August 9th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Admiral

We have already booked a 35 Day cruise from Sydney to Vancouver for 2010

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old August 12th, 2008, 09:38 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divemaster
So tell me, how does this busy ol' auditor get down to tag Antarctica without taking more than a week's time off on a ship?
You gotta do what I do.

Plain and simple ... kiss the boss' you know what.

Seriously, though, I try to make myself invaluable at work and then one day just drop into the boss' office ... "mind if I take all of my vacation time in one fell swoop?" Thus far, that sort of thing has usually worked, but now with the company facing challenging times, it won't in the future ... so I'll have to come up with another strategy.

I leave in a little over a month for a 35-day Hawaii/South Pacific cruise, and believe me ... those longer cruises are always the best. I've got to figure out a way to continue doing them. They are as different as night an day with the shorter seven to ten-day itinaries. The whole onboard ambience is different, a bit more relaxed. People know they have a long time on the boat, so they are more friendly ... more open to meeting others. You go on the shorter cruises and most everyone is in their tight little groups and they really aren't too interested in meeting or getting to know others. And, that's understandable. You go on a cruise with your family or a few close friends and the whole purpose is generally to reconnect with those people who you don't get to see nearly enough at home. Of course, you're not interested in new friendships. I probably wouldn't be either.

But the long cruises are so much different. You actually get to know others and become friendly with them. I met a couple on my last Hawaii/South Pacific cruise in 2006 who are two of my dearest friends today. We talk on the phone several times a week, not to mention exchanging emails quite often.

If there is any way you can swing it, try a longer cruise. But be forwarned, the shorter cruises will never feel the same to you afterwards.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old August 13th, 2008, 02:30 AM
Admiral

No can do. Did find I can fly down to the tip of South American and then take a charter to land in Antarctica. About 5K and does the ol' BTDT in less than a week. As for long cruises, too slooow a pace. I do day trips to Maui from San Antonio and will be in New Zealand and Austalia over the Labor Day weekend. A daytripper I am, but I too correspond regularly for years with people, but I befriend them after meeting for only a few hours.

Quote:
Quote:
So tell me, how does this busy ol' auditor get down to tag Antarctica without taking more than a week's time off on a ship?
You gotta do what I do.

Plain and simple ... kiss the boss' you know what.

Seriously, though, I try to make myself invaluable at work and then one day just drop into the boss' office ... "mind if I take all of my vacation time in one fell swoop?" Thus far, that sort of thing has usually worked, but now with the company facing challenging times, it won't in the future ... so I'll have to come up with another strategy.

I leave in a little over a month for a 35-day Hawaii/South Pacific cruise, and believe me ... those longer cruises are always the best. I've got to figure out a way to continue doing them. They are as different as night an day with the shorter seven to ten-day itinaries. The whole onboard ambience is different, a bit more relaxed. People know they have a long time on the boat, so they are more friendly ... more open to meeting others. You go on the shorter cruises and most everyone is in their tight little groups and they really aren't too interested in meeting or getting to know others. And, that's understandable. You go on a cruise with your family or a few close friends and the whole purpose is generally to reconnect with those people who you don't get to see nearly enough at home. Of course, you're not interested in new friendships. I probably wouldn't be either.

But the long cruises are so much different. You actually get to know others and become friendly with them. I met a couple on my last Hawaii/South Pacific cruise in 2006 who are two of my dearest friends today. We talk on the phone several times a week, not to mention exchanging emails quite often.

If there is any way you can swing it, try a longer cruise. But be forwarned, the shorter cruises will never feel the same to you afterwards.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old August 13th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Admiral

Daytrips to Maui?? To each his own. We are going to Maui again this February -- for a month. can't see any sense in going for less than two weeks. but as I say to each his own. and different strokes for different folks. BTW, we're retired

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Golden Princess
Old September 4th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Passenger

It depends upon how much time you have to travel. If I could, I would. My longest cruise was a trans-Atlantic trip from NYC to Rome that lasted 17 days, followed by another week in Rome. It was the perfect, dream vacation.

Before my grandparents' passing, they sailed for 45 days around the entire South American Continent. It was their life's dream to take such a trip. The family was a bit scandalized by this, since they were in their late 80's; they had a wonderful time, and were the envy of all.

If you have the time and money, and love cruising, then I can't imagine such a thing as a trip that is "too long".
Transatlantic / Pacific Princess Final Voyage, Oct. '01
Caribbean / RCL Adventure of the Seas, July '03
Caribbean / NCL Sky, June '04
Caribbean / Celebrity Horizon, Dec. '04
Old September 4th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Admiral

Just back this week from a Labor Day weekend trip to Auckland and Sydney. Cool trip. Next week on a Thurday to Monday trip to London, Istanbul and Cairo. Staycationing - what is that?<g>

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by richstacy
Daytrips to Maui?? To each his own. We are going to Maui again this February -- for a month. can't see any sense in going for less than two weeks. but as I say to each his own. and different strokes for different folks. BTW, we're retired
Old September 6th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Just back this week from a Labor Day weekend trip to Auckland and Sydney. Cool trip. Next week on a Thurday to Monday trip to London, Istanbul and Cairo. Staycationing - what is that?<g>
I love that new term being bandied about ... the "staycation." Don't people appreciate the importance of travel? To me, my vacations ... and admittedly I don't get to cruise nearly as much as I would like because I still work ... are just as valid a living expense as my food and my lodging. I would never give them up just for the sake of saving money. True, I will try to economize if money is tight ... and maybe not spend as freely as I might like ... but I will always travel ... as long as I have a spare dollar to my name.

Travel rounds you out as a person. The things you see, the places you go, the experiences you have, all go into making you the person you are. If all you take is "staycations," then true ... you might save a boatload of money, but you'll be much poorer in a lot of other ways.

So, I agree with you ... "staycationing" is not the way to go.

Glad you enjoyed your little "junkets."

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old September 14th, 2008, 10:30 PM
Admiral

My longest has been 14 days on the Ryndam, I would love
to cruise longer but because of my job, I am only allow 3 weeks
off at at one time. maybe in a few years when I retire I will
cruise longer!!
Old September 15th, 2008, 12:36 AM
Admiral

That's the spirit Earl! We couldn't do it until we retired.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08