Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 24th, 2008, 09:49 AM
Passenger

Default Boston Embarkation

Has anyone boarded for a cruise out of Boston's Black Falcon Terminal recently? I have heard there can be some problems due to the facility itself...does HAL have good signage and adequate personnel to direct passengers when they arrive at the pier?
Old July 25th, 2008, 10:52 PM
Captain

We sail from Boston's Black Falcon every summer at least twice and find it very easy to navigate. We have great check ins there....no problem.

We're looking forward to boarding Maasdam in August to go Boston to Montreal and stay aboard for the cruise back to Boston.

Hope you have as wonderful time on that itinerary as we do every summer.
Old July 29th, 2008, 08:45 AM
Passenger

Thanks so much for the encouraging info - we have 3 first timers in our party and I am so anxious for them to have a wonderful experience from start to finish.

Thanks also for the good wishes - I am certain we will have a wonderful time, as we always do, on HAL. You enjoy your cruise, as well!
Old July 29th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Captain

I see you are from Massachusetts so expect you will be arriving by car.
Each time we have arrived, there has been a stevedore immediately at our car to take our luggage. Very pleasant and efficient. (They are appreciative of a tip, of course. :: )

You will be directed to which doorway to enter and will see HAL's shore ops people in their red jackets/vests available to direct you, answer any questions etc. Take the escalator/elevator to the upper level and you will find a long counter with many people working on check ins. There are always at least 15 work stations.

Then it is an easy 'aboard'. `
Old July 30th, 2008, 09:19 AM
Passenger

Thank you SO much for the help - it is much appreciated!!
Old July 30th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsails
Thanks so much for the encouraging info - we have 3 first timers in our party and I am so anxious for them to have a wonderful experience from start to finish.

We, too, have sailed with first timers and upon our recommendation sailed HAL. They had a wonderful time and returned to sail HAL again.

But, I learned a lesson and that was to not obsess about them having the perfect experience. Life in general and cruising in particular are not perfect. Few things in life are.

Expect there will be a glitch or to and decide to roll with it. If you expect perfection and lead your friends to expect it, you are setting HAL up to fail. You could, without intention, make it impossible for HAL to please.
We have been on a great many HAL cruises and they have all been fabulous but only a handful were truly 'perfect'. Leave a little room for people to be human and for "Mr. Murphy" (as in Murphy's Law) to sometimes appearl.

JMO ........
Old July 31st, 2008, 08:21 AM
Passenger

You're absolutely right - point well taken!