Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 24th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Signature Collection Excursions

has anyone ever shelled out the money for any of hal's "signature excursions?" going to alaska next year with a small group and thought splitting the cost several ways might make the price worth it. "it" being from what i understand, choosing pretty much whatever you want to do and/or where ever you want to go with your own driver and vehicle.
Sponsored Links
Old July 24th, 2008, 09:44 PM
Admiral

I may be wrong, but from reading about the Signature Collection tours, it appears that it pertains to excursions in Europe as it states "English speaking guide".

The Signature Collection

Imagine touring ashore at your own pace with a private driver and English-speaking guide. Imagine seeing everything you wanted to see while traveling in a luxury vehicle you have all to yourself. Holland America Line introduces the Signature Collection® - a new touring option that allows you to completely customize your time ashore. In the comfort and privacy of a quality car or minivan, utilize the exclusive services of your private driver and English-speaking guide to discover at your own pace the sights and events you find most interesting. Create your own itinerary, maximize your time in port and enjoy a more in-depth experience of select ports. Since your tour includes only those with whom you choose to travel, your experience is personal and intimate.

Also, if you cancel a Signature Collection private tour, a 100% cancellation fee will apply since transportation and services will have already been arranged.

I would call Shore Excursions at 1-888-425-9376 to find out more.
Old July 25th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Cruise Maniac

deedee - the 2008 excursion guide for alaska also lists the signature collection. i was just wondering if anyone had taken one and felt that the price was worth it.

have a great weekend!
Old July 25th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Signature Collection Excursions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ediemarie
has anyone ever shelled out the money for any of hal's "signature excursions?" going to alaska next year with a small group and thought splitting the cost several ways might make the price worth it. "it" being from what i understand, choosing pretty much whatever you want to do and/or where ever you want to go with your own driver and vehicle.
Oh, I'm shelling ... believe me, I'm shelling.

Some of those Medallion excursions are pricey, but that's because they are pretty unique. Whether they are worth it or not, I don't know. I'll guess I'll have to see this coming September/October.

If you are traveling in a group, however, you are probably better off sharing a car with driver. The price would probably be pretty reasonable split several ways. Just be sure to inquire as to how many people the car will hold. I have a feeling the limit would be three (plus the driver). While you can probably stuff a fourth in the back, it would make for an uncomfortable ride as all the people in the back would be sitting practically on top of each other. I think you can also get a van that holds more people, so depending on how many folks in your group, that could be a good option.

I prefer to do other excursions, including some Medallion ones, despite their higher cost because I travel alone. I would probably not have anyone to split the cost with. Also, I feel safer being in a small group and knowing that if something goes wrong and the excursion is late getting back to the ship, the captain will either wait for me, or HAL will take responsibility for getting me to the next port.

True, shore excursions, especially the Signature private car rentals and the Medallion collection of tours, are quite expensive. But my feeling is that we don't get to these destinations that often, so we might as well see and do everything we want. In my case, I'm headed to Hawaii and the South Pacific in September, and due to work problems that have arisen in this past year, I doubt I will get back (especially to the South Pacific) for quite a few years. So, I'm not gonna be cheap about it. I want to make sure I see and do everything I want.

You should do the same.

Have a wonderful cruise ...

Blue skies ...

--rita