Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 1st, 2008, 09:52 AM
Beginner

Default Bringing wine onboard?

Has anyone recently brought wine onboard? We have our favorites and we know they will not stock them on our ship.
Sponsored Links
Old August 1st, 2008, 11:42 AM
Admiral

It's been a couple of years ,but we had no trouble. You can bring or could, as much as you want. If you take it to the dining room there will be corkage fee charged. It was $15 per bottle. some say, they were never charged the $15, we were every night. Luckily we were sailing with friends so we split the cost. If you consume it in your cabin there is no charge.

Nita
Old August 23rd, 2008, 05:17 PM
Admiral

I have brought wine on board many times never had a problem.
Old September 6th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Admiral

HAL allows passengers to bring all the wine onboard that they want. It is only beer and hard liquor that is prohibited.

Other cruise lines are not so generous with this policy, I might add. In fact, I think Carnival only allows one bottle of wine per passenger.

I don't know ... I guess I'm just lazy. I have enough crap to lug to the port, I couldn't be bothered lugging wine too. I just order a bottle or two for my stateroom and let HAL get it there. True, it costs a bit more, but at least I know it will get there in one piece and be waiting for me when I arrive.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old September 14th, 2008, 10:26 PM
Admiral

If you bring a bottle of wine into the dining room , they will charge
you a corking fee of $15.00 . you are better off buying a bottle
in the dining room. save it for the balcony at night.
Old September 15th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl
Earl, that depends on the kind and price of the wine you would be drinking. A $10 bottle of wine, add $15 corkage fee is a better deal than say that same bottle costing at least $30 on board if they even carry it.

NIta
Old October 12th, 2008, 11:56 AM
First Mate

Just back from Med cruise on the Noordam and we purchased wine and beer in each port and had no difficulty bringing it aboard. Our cabin steward kept our white wine constantly chilled so that each evening we enjoyed our own inexpensive "sail-away" party up on deck.

Old October 16th, 2008, 11:10 AM
Passenger

I didn't really get that, You took a bottle of wine up on deck, and weren't charged for it? I thought you had to drink it in your room. what's really the story here.?

Romantica
Victoria
Voyager of Seas
Freedom of Seas
Rhapsody of Seas
Sovereignof the Seas
Imagination
Celebration
Imagination
old Noordam
New Noordam
Amsterdam
Rotterdam
Century
Constallation
Millenium
ncl wind
ncl pearl

Old October 26th, 2008, 08:11 PM
Familiar Face

I'm not the original poster, but the HAL website says, and I quote.

Bringing Alcoholic Beverages Onboard

Except for wine and champagne, alcoholic beverages purchased in the vessel's shops or otherwise brought on the ship cannot be consumed on the ship. Bottles and other containers will be collected for safekeeping and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the voyage.

A corkage fee of US$15.00 applies to wine and champagne brought to the restaurants or bars for consumption.

Room Service offers reduced-price stateroom beverage packages for in-stateroom consumption of alcoholic beverages.

end quote

The policy stated does not refer to where you can consume the wine or champagne, only that if you do so in a bar or restaurant that you will be charged the corkage fee.
Old November 10th, 2008, 01:06 AM
Passenger

We had a party of six on the westerdam. As a group we brought on board 2 cases of mix wine in wine shipping containers. No Problem. We had them at dinner 3-4 bottles. We paid $15 per bottle corkage. We were serious wine drinkers. We paid on average $30 a bottle. Comparable wine aboard ship was $ 100 +. You can see the savings.

David
Old November 13th, 2008, 07:01 PM
Admiral

You can drink your wine outside as long as you drink it
in a glass or a cup. I am sure they will stop you if you have the bottle sitting on the table. and also its dangerous if the bottle breaks.
Old November 13th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Passenger

We just returned from a 17 day transatlantic on HAL and we bought wine in many of the cities we visited. Our room was stocked each day with wine glasses, we bought a cork screw and we were set. We never brought wine into the dinning room ourselves but,
Each night we would watch people bring their wine with them into the dinning room, some unopened and others who opened their own wine and saved the $15.00 charge. HAL is pretty classy they are not going to make a big deal over it.
Old November 14th, 2008, 09:04 AM
Passenger

I am amazed that they let you bring the wine on board an didn't confiscate at the gate when you got on, and then give it back when you reached destination. that is really nice. It must be that I haven't bought wine but hard liquor when we have gone to duty free ports. This is all really good info. I'm hoping to do HAL in October 2009 to the Mediterranean. Rotterdam, so I'll be trying that out.

Romantica
Victoria
Voyager of Seas
Freedom of Seas
Rhapsody of Seas
Sovereignof the Seas
Imagination
Celebration
Imagination
old Noordam
New Noordam
Amsterdam
Rotterdam
Century
Constallation
Millenium
ncl wind
ncl pearl

Old November 14th, 2008, 04:25 PM
First Mate

you just have to read your cruise contract; no need to be surprised. plus, check the brochures your ta provided. how is it that anyone is 'surprised.' the contract you purchased under is valid for you. bring wine onboard at any port, bring a corkscrew with you and relax. hard liquor comes in a very reasonable package from room service, along with three cans of soda-mixer of your choice at no more than you would pay ashore. i am constantly amazed at the agitation over this issue. it goes on and on. just bring your wine, a corkscrew, and relax. the room stewards will bring ice, glasses, and a smile.

if you want to take a drink on deck, just put it a mug, one of those thermal ones, and do it. they aren't going to smell the contents of a thermal mug. lordy, 'they' are not the gestapo.

'
Old November 14th, 2008, 04:31 PM
First Mate

lol addendum. when flying, put the corkscrew in your CHECKED luggage, not in a carryon -- it could be considered a deadly weapon. lol
Old November 27th, 2008, 08:02 AM
Beginner

We are not heavy drinkers, and indeed at the prices they charge, one would not want to be. Nonetheless, we have always packed a couple of bottles (one Bailey's for my wife and a Maker's for me) in our luggage. It comes on board locked in our luiggage which they (eventually) bring it to your cabin unopened. We have always kept the hooch locked in our luggage while on board except for a pre-dinner libation. They don't do shakedown inspections and, in practice, nobody is going to say anything as long as you are discreet and don't go running four-sheets-to-the-wind down the companionway.

In things like this you can pretty well follow the money-trail to find out how things work. The rule is there primarily to increase profitablility for HAL or whomever. On the other hand, the guy who gets into your stateroom (your steward) is working for tips. I have noticed that after he finds that you fill an ice bucket up every afternoon and leave a couple of used drink glasses (rinsed out, of course) when you go to dinner, a full ice bucket arrives in your cabin at about 1700 every day. Some people just enjoy drinking ice water on their veranda.
Old December 1st, 2008, 12:03 AM
Passenger

heyy u can call for wine definitely but it should b only legally

***edited to remove commercial link***
Old March 27th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Beginner

Hal doesn't mind if you bring on wine if you want to carry it. We had wine in our cabin on the verandah and it was nice. Some friends were on the Coral Princess and were able to bring liquor on without a problem.
Old April 14th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Passenger

Just back from the Eurodam and people were bringing it on by the case. Wish I had brought more than 2 bottles, was nice to have in cabin, or to take aglass to the hot tub or the shows.
Old April 15th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Captain

Corkage fee is now $18.

Isn't a cruise a great time to try out some new wines you've never sampled? You might find some new favorites.
Old April 23rd, 2009, 01:47 PM
Passenger

Unfortunately, the cruise lines are hurting badly and are cracking down, especially on alcohol. MSN just released an article about how teams of 20 are patrolling cruise lines to search for illegal alcohol smuggling.
Old April 29th, 2009, 06:45 AM
Passenger

Default Bringing Alcoholic Beverages Onboard

Except for wine and champagne, alcoholic beverages purchased in the vessel's shops or otherwise brought on the ship cannot be consumed on the ship.
Bottles and other containers will be collected for safekeeping and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the voyage.
A corkage fee of US$18.00 applies to wine and champagne brought to the restaurants or bars for consumption.
Old May 17th, 2009, 07:54 AM
Beginner

Just returned from a HAL Medditeranean Tapestries cruise and no problems at all with drink being brought on board.
In fact the policy is slightly lapse in its policing.
In barcelona we bought all the drink we needed and just carried it on board with no questions asked.
We took anything we wanted on board at every port and sometimes it was scanned, many times it was not. Not one challenge.
When they actually sell hard liquor [spirits] in the duty free onboard and allow you to take it away, you have to wonder.
We even pushed the boundaries and walked into the dining room with glasses of wine in our hands and nothing was said.
Old May 18th, 2009, 06:32 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl

The corkage fee is now $18!
Old May 18th, 2009, 06:35 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckity
Just back from Med cruise on the Noordam and we purchased wine and beer in each port and had no difficulty bringing it aboard. Our cabin steward kept our white wine constantly chilled so that each evening we enjoyed our own inexpensive "sail-away" party up on deck.

You are ONLY supposed to drink your OWN wine in your stateroom!
Old May 18th, 2009, 06:38 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt
Just back from the Eurodam and people were bringing it on by the case. Wish I had brought more than 2 bottles, was nice to have in cabin, or to take aglass to the hot tub or the shows.
Glass is NOT allowed at the Hot Tubs! Have you not read the posted rules at the Hot Tubs?
Old May 18th, 2009, 06:40 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by dssm69
Just returned from a HAL Medditeranean Tapestries cruise and no problems at all with drink being brought on board.
In fact the policy is slightly lapse in its policing.
In barcelona we bought all the drink we needed and just carried it on board with no questions asked.
We took anything we wanted on board at every port and sometimes it was scanned, many times it was not. Not one challenge.
When they actually sell hard liquor [spirits] in the duty free onboard and allow you to take it away, you have to wonder.
We even pushed the boundaries and walked into the dining room with glasses of wine in our hands and nothing was said.

Allowed but VERY tacky!
Old May 23rd, 2009, 04:13 AM
Beginner

Tacky you say?
When the cruise line is out to milk you for every dollar it can, provides little service, tries to sell you drinks with your breakfast on the lido deck, hardly any entertainment, and has the audacity to tack $11 per day per person to your onboard account in the guise of an Hotel Service Charge.

I really have to ask who is having the last laugh here.

We paid good money for a balcony suite and reccomended the cruise to our friends, [much to my embarrassment].

Several people actually asked for refunds on this cruise.
I bet HAL did not provide any.
Old May 25th, 2009, 04:19 PM
First Mate

Before reading the article on the liquor patrols who scan your baggage I could have told you the main culprit was going to be NCL who will make you go to the "naughty room"where you will wait upwards of an hour and then will stand by while they go thru your entire suitcase and they know all the tricks of attempted sneaking booze aboard.With over 40 cruise under my belt I can honestly say that this method of catching those who want a drink in their room is strictly controlled individually by each of the cruise lines.Having cruised on 2 NCL cruises last year this is their thing to make more money and I have too many other choices to bother with their silly games.
Old June 14th, 2009, 10:52 PM
Familiar Face

Default Liquor

Tennisbum, I totally agree. My experience with NCL was quite embarassing... They called me to the "naughty room" and went through my luggage. I had one little flask of Crown Royal. Most evenings I just like to fix a drink before I head out to dinner. I ALWAYS buy drinks and wine onboard, sometimes exceeding $500 for a 7-day cruise. I'm through with NCL, too. I can understand if someone is bringing 6-8 bottles of booze to entertain their friends and circumvent the bar system. I had a friend who was called to the naughty room but he said that there was chaos in the room and he just walked out with his luggage and brought it to his room, liquor and all.
I might try my little flask on an upcoming HAL cruise, though...

Just my two cents.