Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 2nd, 2008, 01:40 AM
Beginner

Default I should be happy, right?

My first cruise is coming up.

I got moved from a guaranteed HH stateroom to a confirmed DD on the Veendam. Lower promenade deck, about 2/3 of way back. That's a decent upgrade, right? It's now a partial view vs. a fully obstructed view.

Just curious what you cruise veterans think of the location. Sure, I'd love to have a balcony but that wasn't in the budget.
Sponsored Links
Old August 2nd, 2008, 09:52 AM
Admiral

Having a partially obstructed view is definitely better than a fully obstructed one. You will be fine.

Just remember to keep your curtains closed at night. Even though the windows are sort of like 2 way mirrors, some people walking by might try to peek into the cabin and although they can only see shadows they might see a little more. :o

Enjoy your cruise.
Old August 2nd, 2008, 03:14 PM
Beginner

Thanks, I'm really looking forward to it.

I'm hoping that summer will finally arrive in Alaska about the time I hit Anchorage.
Old August 3rd, 2008, 12:57 PM
Captain

Quack,

You are getting something more than you paid for so there is reason you should be happy. If you are not, refuse the upgrade and stay in the cabin to which you were originally booked.

Some folks actually paid the additional money to have that category. You are getting more than you paid for. People who paid for the verandah cabin about which you speculate, paid a lot more money than you did for the HH. They probably think you should be happy for getting a free upgrade. I think you probably understand what I am saying?
Old August 5th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Yeoman

If you see it as an upgrade, be happy and enjoy that they got you a better cabin than you paid for!

In my opinion it´s NOT an upgrade because now people will walk right outside your window. As DeeDee said, keep your curtains closed at night!

For me an upgrade doesn´t mean that I get a more expensive cabin than I paid for, for me it means that I get a better cabin!

For me a fully obstructed view is much better than a cabin where people walk right outside my window but it´s not me who shall stay there, it´s you! If you are happy about your "upgrade", I´m happy for you!
Old August 5th, 2008, 01:33 PM
Passenger

I sailed in an HH cabin on the Rotterdam. When I first surmised that people might be able to look into the cabin, I was concerned.

Once on the ship, I tried to as hard as I could to determine if I could see into the cabin from the promenade deck and I could not. Even at night with the cabin lights on the best I could do is detect a vague shape moving in the cabin. With the curtains drawn, absolute privacy occurred.

The DD cabin only provides a better view that the HH. The DD and the HH both have the same exact window with the same exact style mirrored tinting.

Enjoy the upgrade and don't worry about people being able to see you into your cabin.

Steven
Old August 5th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Admiral

It will be fine and you will have a great time!

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10