Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 12th, 2008, 08:34 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsea
Quote:
Originally Posted by sail7seas
I wonder a bit how everyone is trying to refer to the 'other' board by saying it begins with "cruise". Well, gee, that's a shocker. A message board re: cruising that starts with 'cruise'.

I can name at least 5 off the top of my head.
Yeah, right! It's CruiseCritic.
Actually that doesn't necessarily have to be true. It could be, as Kakalina said, Cruise Addicts or Cruise-Reviews (which has a message board) or Cruise Critic, or even the cruise travel newsgroup.

There are a lot of places to discuss cruising, though I think this is one of the best. Once again, on that "other" board a thread was locked because someone "upset" one of the board's regulars with their post. Sheshhhhhh, can't people have a difference of opinion anymore?

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old September 12th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Beginner

Do you think the CC "censorship" is due to the heavy influence of Travel Agents-cies, them having to keep the image up for all the ships' voyages they sell?

I just found USA Today's Cruise Log yesterday, by USA Today's Cruise Writer. Not a whole tom of volume, maybe because folks don't know about it, but yet another good resource. Maybe these posters and theirs can exchange visits and increase each others' volume? I wish there was more volume on both.

BTW, Does anyone know what became of Kuki's "secret cabin" project?? Is he still here, or on a cruise?
Old September 12th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Passenger

I belong to four message boards for cruising... mostly as I'm preparing for our first cruise, and I wanted balanced opinions/information.

I'm still learning my way around this board

I've never really understood the competitive thing about message boards. I started on one, and when a message board dedicated to just the cruise line we are going on came online, I was excited.

Yeah, I got slapped for mentioning it.

So, does this board NOT get p*ssy about mentioning other boards?
Old September 12th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
So, does this board NOT get p*ssy about mentioning other boards?
The problem is that almost every one of these internet message boards are advertising supported. That is, the advertising we and others sell allows the site to remain free for all users.

To be able to maintain that free useage, the site must protect the value of the advertising it sells.

If everyone were allowed to post to links to any site they feel like talking about that diminishes the advertising value. And when these posts touting sites are allowed to remain on the boards, you immediately notice a rash of posts promoting visitors to visit those other sites. Those posts are advertising on this site for nothing... which again dimiminsihes the value of the advertising we can sell.... which supports the expenses of the site, and allows visitors to gain solid cruise information and opinions at no cost.

So, it's not about attitude of the boards, it's about economic survival.

Now there are some boards that may monitor negative comments regarding cruise lines. Here we do not monitor the boards for that purpose AT ALL. EVERYONE is welcome to post their opinions, good and bad, and discuss them.... as long as the discussion is done with a degree of respect for all opinions, and people don't make their comments personal attacks.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old September 12th, 2008, 04:20 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to richsea

Thanks for the insight, Kuki. It makes perfect sense for a cruise board to protect the agencies which are paying to advertise, thus keeping the boards free for posters, from those looking for free advertising. It's only fair to maintain this policy.
Old September 13th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

I used to post here at Cruise Mates, mostly in the Singles forum. Then some loudmouth started to dominate the forum. She lectured us on what type of person/personality we were based on our preference to either cruise solo independently or with a singles group.

I was just looking for info on solo cruise deals and solo cruising tips and experiences, regardless of my personality 8) . Then several people started to get ugly personal messages, so I just opted out of the fray.

Shelby