Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old August 12th, 2008, 03:16 PM
crusin' fool's Avatar
Senior Member
Cruise Maniac
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Posts: 154
Default PROBLEMS WITH OTHER CRUISE BOARDS


I was just curious if others have problems with the favortism shown to a certain few on another well know chat board?

I have been a member of various cruise chat boards for a long time. And it has become obvious to me that Cruisemates is the only board that allows true freedom of expression within its boards.

I want to thank the "powers that be" for keeping Cruisemates an open and friendly forum in which to air questions, advice and problems.

I will be spending alot more time here in the future. I just wish they could address the problem of the roll calls. That section is not set up very well IMO.
I leave in 37 days for a wonderul 32 day Hawaii/Tahiti cruise and wish there was more participation for a roll call.

What are your opinions on this matter?[/b]
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old August 12th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 336
Default

Some of these postings become uncivil and very personal and the moderator(s) must keep an eye on these to prevent personal assinations to say nothing of possible legal entanglements.

What I object to is the arbitrary remove of the entire posting and all replies for the sake of one or more entries that are considered uncivil.

And yet on others they delete only portion of the postings in favour of the remainder of what may seem like the selected few.

When a posting becomes unacceptable to the board it should be removed, but the entire segment should be allowed to continue for there are viable opinions yet to be heard from.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old August 12th, 2008, 09:48 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 1,139
Default

I'm glad you brought this issue up, because I too have been having problems on other boards and have pretty much abandoned them because of it.

Yes, here on CM I too can get rid of posts that use vulgar language or are threatening to other people. Those type of posts shouldn't be allowed on any message board. We are all here to enjoy ourselves and shouldn't have to be exposed to those things. So a good moderator keeps track of the posts and when that sort of thing happens, gets rid of them pronto ... and perhaps emails the poster asking him/her to refrain from that behavior in the future.

But there are some boards that will delete your posts for seemingly no valid reason. I've had posts deleted from one in particular where I honestly can't figure out what I did wrong, other than disagreeing with "popular" opinion. If I am wrong, and I did do something that was in violation of the message board's "rules," wouldn't a quick email telling me what I did be in order?

Also, some of the other message boards have just too many rules. No mention of travel agents, no links to other websites, no "bashing" of a cruise line, no this, no that. It gets to the point where you have to line edit every post before you send it to make sure you haven't violated one of the precepts of the board. That gets tiring. I don't go on message boards to be constantly aggravated. I go on them to have fun ... and to relax from the pressures of my normally hectic life and talk about my favorite subject, cruising. I don't need all that aggravation, so I've pretty much sworn off of message boards (other than CruiseMates, of course). When I return from my 35-day cruise on the Statendam, I plan to totally abandon that other board.

It seems that there are a core group of people on some message boards ... and we all know which one I am talking about ... who are the "in" crowd. Disagree with one of them and you get the whole gang coming down on you. They will defend each other and report the post as "offensive" or "off topic" or "hateful" or whatever ... and that post will get pulled by "popular demand."

So my advice to you is to spend more time over here. We don't have a bunch of dumb rules here. If you disagree with someone, that's fine, so long as you do it in a civil fashion. If you want to say you've had a great experience with your travel agent, as long as it isn't blatent advertising, that is fine too. Pretty much the only things CM frowns on is vulgarity in posts and attacking or bullying other posters ... something most of us wouldn't dream of doing anyway.

Blue skies and welcome to that "other" message board ... with all the fun people.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old August 12th, 2008, 10:37 PM
crusin' fool's Avatar
Senior Member
Cruise Maniac
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Posts: 154
Default

Well thank you for the welcome Kryos. I hope to spend a lot of time here in the future.
Let's keep in interesting!
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old August 13th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Trip's Avatar
Moderator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Boston
Posts: 19,903
Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default

cruisn fool, a big welcome, to our little corner of the world.....Rita, really said it wonderfully, but I just wanted to let you know, our common goal, is, to share our knowledge, treat each other respectfully, and have a ship load of fun! Enjoy it all;)
__________________


Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old August 13th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Senior Member
Cruise Maniac
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 99
Default

CruiseMates is the one I recommend to fellow cruisers and friends who are contemplating their first cruise, for info and feedback.

I agree with comment: " sharing knowledge, respect, etc.." is quite an accurate description of CM.

This board is really very 'comfortable' for lack of a better word. But I do agree about the Roll Calls...they do need to be better organized/listed and more user friendly. It does send some of us elsewhere for meet & greets.

Everyone have a good day.

Mary
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old August 13th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,058
Send a message via AIM to Cassandra
Default

By other boards, I'm going to assume that the board they are talking about also starts with the word, 'Cruise'.

The thing I find most different? Both boards do not report the same news. And also sometimes, well, mostly, one board will have instant up to date information and the other board won't. It goes both ways on them.

I've emailed both boards on occasion to report an article on CNN or MSNBC & say to myself, how could they not know? It's on the main news page. But then its quickly added.

Other than that, hey, have all the groupies you want! At least in this country, you have the freedom of speech. In other parts of the world, you would not be allowed Internet access....or even be killed for what you say because its deemed offensive. Groupie, smoopie!
__________________


Serenade of the Seas - '05
Sovereign of the Seas - '07
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old August 13th, 2008, 10:46 PM
Junior Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 25
Default

Your timing is uncanny! I apparently ticked one of the "powers that be" off in the form of a mod on "that" board and managed to get banned... as in "forever" - their term, not mine. I was wrongfully and blatantly accused of promoting my business and soliciting members for business (I am a TA/owner) and the really pathetic thing is, even in the quote they provided me (which I demanded in my email as proof of their accusations) I stated that because my email address contained my company name, I could not publicly post it...in keeping with THEIR TOS...which I completely understand!

Someone had asked on the forum if anyone had pictures of a certain category cabin on a particular ship. I replied that I DID in fact have pictures of that cabin and ship, but that the pics were included in a gallery on my website. I do not upload my pics to the internet - mostly because I neither have the time nor "technical" know how to do it...I stated that if they wanted to see the pictures, they would have to post their email publicly and that I would be happy to send them a link TO THE GALLERY - NOT to my website's homepage where of course I do list cruises with pricing.

About 8 people responded, asking me to forward the link to the gallery, which I was happy to do. I did not add them to my business database, I did not solicit any business from any of them nor did or do I intend to - for heaven's sake - they asked for pictures which I had and I sent them! I was thanked by several of them, and wished everyone who was sailing on that ship a "great cruise"!

For this, I have been permanently banned from THAT site! I even called the editor personally and explained what happened. She was appalled to hear that someone in her company would be so unprofessional, especially since I had copies of everything I'd typed and emailed! She asked me to put in writing what I'd said to her and that while she did not have any "control" over the message boards, she would certainly encourage that person to reinstate me. Well, apparently the message board Nazi has more pull than the editor, because I am still banned, the message says when I try to log on "forever" OL

Sounds like SOMEONE got up on the wrong side of the ship! It's unfortunate, but IMO, it's their loss, and CruiseMates gain as I will now spend my time perusing this site instead. And for the record, NO I will NOT tell you the name of my agency, nor will I sell anyone here a cruise if I know you are a member!! Sheesh!
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old August 14th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 1,139
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmn9761
Your timing is uncanny! I apparently ticked one of the "powers that be" off in the form of a mod on "that" board and managed to get banned... as in "forever" - their term, not mine.
Seriously, no big loss for you. That other board is becoming more hassle than fun ... at least to me.

I've p*ssed people off there too, and gotten a few threatening emails from the "powers that be" in the past. I delete them without even reading them. I believe strongly in freedom of speech, and just because my opinion may aggravate someone (such as I don't like formal nights and can't wait to see them done away with), that's no reason to say I'm deliberately "stirring up controversy."

That other board, from what I understand is basically run by the travel agent community. Those are the ones who support the board with their advertising dollars and that's why the board's management doesn't want any travel agents advertising there. They don't want anyone to take business away from their advertisers. In fact, when someone wants to set up a "board sanctioned" group cruise, they only get quotes from the board's advertisers. If they find a better deal and decide to do the group cruise through another agent not affiliated with the board, then they can't "promote" the cruise on the boards. I've even heard of roll calls being deleted for a group cruise that wasn't sanctioned by the board. Whaaaaaattttttttt?

I know of another woman who cruises with a group that was set up without going through the board. They had something about the cruise in their sig lines and ALL of them got "banned for life" after several warnings. Now they just post to another message board.

I think you did nothing more than help out someone who was looking for photos. Obviously that other board didn't think so, and that just goes to show that maybe they are taking this "travel agent" thing a bit too far. Yes, I agree that blatent advertising should not be allowed on any message board. I got whacked on a skydiving message board for offering my book for sale several years ago. But there I was treated politely and the moderator and I shared several emails. At the end, I agreed that maybe I didn't exercise the best of judgment when I made that post and I didn't blame her deleting it.

But that other cruise board won't even tell you why you are being banned half the time. They won't tell you why your posts are being deleted. That's just wrong. I've had several posts deleted recently and had actually gotten to the point of copying them into a word document before posting so that I could go back and read them if they got pulled and see what on Earth I did wrong. In most cases, "dammed" if I can figure it out.

So, spend your time over here. We're a much more friendly bunch ... and we certainly don't object to a travel agent posting a link to pictures on her website.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old August 14th, 2008, 02:54 PM
Trip's Avatar
Moderator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Boston
Posts: 19,903
Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default

tmn9761
Welcome to Cruisemates, & we welcome another branch, to our tree of knowledge. Sharing is the best way to hopefully, enrich our community, and knowledge is power. Share, away:):)
__________________


Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator


Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old August 17th, 2008, 07:57 PM
beentravelin's Avatar
Senior Member
Yeoman
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Asheville NC
Posts: 682
Default

I agree that the MOB forum need to be broken down by ship. I also know this takes time and money. Having said that, this is the only site I had been to until last week when someone noticed I didn't have any replies to my MOB for Carnival Legend 8-31-08. They sent me a link to the "other" sites MOB for my cruise. Of course I had to go through the whole registration process because their MOB's are for members only. Once in I was a little overwhelmed by the number of posts. There were over 28 pages of posts for my ship alone. Since I only have two weeks til my cruise, I decided not to join in with these folks who already seemed to know each other well. I think i'll just stick to Cruisemates. This seems to be a smaller tight knit community that has already welcomed me with open arms. If I meet a fellow Cruisemate on board Great. If not, maybe I'll try to get on the next CM group cruise. I truly want to meet face to face with all of you that i've already grown fond of. See you soon.

P.S. Divemaster will be on my Eurodam cruise 10-15-08. Can't wait to meet him. Come join us.
__________________
Disney Wonder
Carnival Liberty
NCL Majesty
Carnival Legend
HAL Eurodam
Caribbean Princess



http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/s...avelin&match=1
http://www.igougo.com/profile/profil...emberID=574103
http://picasaweb.google.com/beentravelin
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old August 19th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 2,617
Default

Well I do like both boards for different reasons. The "other" is so much more active, but I too, can't stand the deleting an entire thread because of a few less than complimentary responses to issues. I do think Cruisemates is a great place to visit, gain and give information. Like someone said though, the roll call section needs help. Maybe if we get busier this too will improve.

For those who have been ban or warned in the past, luckily I have only had one warning: I had my email address on my profile, but it didn't contain any information about my company and I have never mentioned who I work for, but I think someone got pixx3d off with me and reported it. I got a warning and a bad mark......they do have some strict rules but mostly it depends on the moderator for a particular line. The other day (about 2 weeks ago) someone responded and blasted a particular cruise line. His email contained his name and was a business email. I was floored the response was not pulled.

It probably is important for all of us to try and remain civil. We can blast an idea but not a person. that should go without saying. When responders start making personal attacks I have no problem with deletions.

Nita

ps: the "other" thread also has so many tech problems, it gets pretty frustrating.

Nita
__________________
ncl, carnival, HAL, Costa, RCI, commodore,chamdres,celebrity,Princess
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old September 4th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 259
Send a message via AIM to richsea
Default

I also enjoy the other boards, & have not seen very many threads get deleted over there. They may be edited for content when posters get personal, which is against the community guide lines. One joins message boards and agrees with the guidelines, or eventually one gets booted. Often, they will come here & make veiled allusions to the other board in frustration, or just rejoin under another screen name.Some threads do get locked when they become too contentious. But I have never felt that anyone gets preferential treatment. Sometimes it is apparant that posters have an agenda against a certain cruise line, or are trolls just looking to stir things up, & they are usually dealt with accordingly
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old September 4th, 2008, 11:56 PM
Junior Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsea
I also enjoy the other boards, & have not seen very many threads get deleted over there. They may be edited for content when posters get personal, which is against the community guide lines. One joins message boards and agrees with the guidelines, or eventually one gets booted. Often, they will come here & make veiled allusions to the other board in frustration, or just rejoin under another screen name.Some threads do get locked when they become too contentious. But I have never felt that anyone gets preferential treatment. Sometimes it is apparant that posters have an agenda against a certain cruise line, or are trolls just looking to stir things up, & they are usually dealt with accordingly
Well, I can understand why you might feel the way you do, having not had any "issues" over there. However I was absolutely targeted and even the Editor in Chief with whom I spoke with personally on the phone agreed with me. Unfortunately, she has nothing to do with the internet moderators and I have been permanently banned. It is truly no skin off my back - I've just never been subjected to such obvious, blatant harrassment and discriminatory action (because heaven forbid, I am also a travel agency owner!!). I don't have any "agenda" other than to read what cruisers are saying. In fact my client base is largely comprised of niche cruisers - not those who typically hang out on the boards. I work heavily with my special interest groups and am very well established - I have no need or interest in soliciting business from them or anyone else. I am a moral, ethical person and business owner, and I went out of my way to NOT divulge my agency name which is why I offered my photos only to those who felt comfortable posting THEIR email addresses for me to respond to, as my company name is contained within my email address! That's the slap in the face I received for COMPLYING with their rules! I am highly offended and disgusted that someone (the moderator) would make such an improper and unjust judgement against me. IMO, they are simply not worth my time, and in the end, it is their loss. In the few weeks since this occurred, I have made certain to point out that site's SERIOUS shortcomings to my clients while encouraging them insted to visit here! IMO the other site is nothing more than a rag.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old September 5th, 2008, 05:58 AM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 1,139
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmn9761
I've just never been subjected to such obvious, blatant harrassment and discriminatory action (because heaven forbid, I am also a travel agency owner!!).
No, you weren't subjected to the harrassment because you were a travel agency owner, but rather because you were not one of their travel agency owner advertisers. The other board is almost entirely supported by travel agents, and they often get business through their association with the board. When a group cruise is put together by some of the community members, and they want that group cruise to be one associated with the board, they receive three quotes on their group cruise ... all of which are from the board's stable of advertisers. If they go with one of those quotes, then they get a special group cruise board set up and the community members are allowed to "advertise" their group cruise on the board. However, God forbid if they get an outside quote on their group from an agency not affiliated with the board, they can do no advertising of their group cruise whatsoever on the boards. If they try it, blam! They get banned. I knew a group of people who set up their group cruise with an outside travel agent, simply because that agent's prices were better, and their posts began getting deleted simply because they had a banner in their sig lines for the group cruise. They were told that the banner had to come out. Some people in the group got beligerant, and eventually they were "banned for life."

So believe me, you are not the first ... and you won't be the last. There are a lot of rules in that community, and who knows? Maybe there is good reason for them. But I still prefer a place where I don't have to carefully read every post I make before hitting the "send" button ... for fear I might offend the wrong person or break some rule.

This place is much more friendly, much more informal ... and that's why I like it. We keep the rules to a minimum. No profanity, no blatent advertising, no personal attacks ... and that's pretty much it.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old September 5th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Junior Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryos
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmn9761
I've just never been subjected to such obvious, blatant harrassment and discriminatory action (because heaven forbid, I am also a travel agency owner!!).
No, you weren't subjected to the harrassment because you were a travel agency owner, but rather because you were not one of their travel agency owner advertisers. The other board is almost entirely supported by travel agents, and they often get business through their association with the board. When a group cruise is put together by some of the community members, and they want that group cruise to be one associated with the board, they receive three quotes on their group cruise ... all of which are from the board's stable of advertisers. If they go with one of those quotes, then they get a special group cruise board set up and the community members are allowed to "advertise" their group cruise on the board. However, God forbid if they get an outside quote on their group from an agency not affiliated with the board, they can do no advertising of their group cruise whatsoever on the boards. If they try it, blam! They get banned. I knew a group of people who set up their group cruise with an outside travel agent, simply because that agent's prices were better, and their posts began getting deleted simply because they had a banner in their sig lines for the group cruise. They were told that the banner had to come out. Some people in the group got beligerant, and eventually they were "banned for life."

So believe me, you are not the first ... and you won't be the last. There are a lot of rules in that community, and who knows? Maybe there is good reason for them. But I still prefer a place where I don't have to carefully read every post I make before hitting the "send" button ... for fear I might offend the wrong person or break some rule.

This place is much more friendly, much more informal ... and that's why I like it. We keep the rules to a minimum. No profanity, no blatent advertising, no personal attacks ... and that's pretty much it.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Rita, you are right on the money! I am with you 100%! Thanks for posting - reading your post "un-ruffled" my feathers a bit.
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old September 5th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Junior Member
Beginner
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 8
Default

Ah, yes. The "other board." I am not a TA, just a relative newcomer to cruising. In my innocence, I asked "stupid questions." Boy, did I get slammed. But I continued because there was a lot of good info there and some nice people.

However, after a few cruises, when I also felt I had a certain amount of experience and knowledge, I found myself disagreeing on some issues with the Core Group. Any disagreement or difference of opinion I posted contrary to the Core Group was immediately red-flagged and removed, although their nasty comments to me were not removed despite being red-flagged by me or others. My e-mails to the moderator were ignored & never responded to.

I still check the "other board" occasionally, but not often. "Business" continues there as usual.

My main complaint with Cruisemates is there is a much lower level of active participation. One might ask a question & wait days or weeks for an answer if ever. That was the main attraction of the "other board" - if you posted a question, you got answers the same day.
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old September 5th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 259
Send a message via AIM to richsea
Default

Perhaps one should look at it from the perspective of the travel agent who PAYS to advertise. If you were them, wouldn't you expect to be protected by the poweres that be from agencies who do not pay to advertise. Mind you, I'm not saying that anyone on this thread has done that, in fact it appears the opposite. But maybe they take a proactive postition in protecting their advertisers & sometimes go overboard.

I'm not trying to take sides, but just trying to see it from both sides. I do like that board & agree that it can get cliqueish (sp?). I also agree that these boards are friendlier. But there is a wealth of information there, as there is here, even though not as much volume here.

I visited the Holland America boards here to see if there was any more details of their announcement that they are returning to Bermuda in 2010, my favorite destination & there is not one thread that I can find here. There has been much discussion about this "over there".

Anyway, we're all here (or there) because we love cruising so...
Happy cruising to all!

oops, my bad, I see a thread reagrding HA & Bermuda!
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old September 6th, 2008, 05:41 AM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 1,139
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWsailor
My main complaint with Cruisemates is there is a much lower level of active participation. One might ask a question & wait days or weeks for an answer if ever. That was the main attraction of the "other board" - if you posted a question, you got answers the same day.
Believe me, we are aware of this and are working on some ways to change it.

By the way, my experience on that other board is the same as yours ... I've actually managed to get entire threads deleted, and have no idea what I did to achieve such a feat.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old September 6th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 259
Send a message via AIM to richsea
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryos
Quote:
Originally Posted by LWsailor
My main complaint with Cruisemates is there is a much lower level of active participation. One might ask a question & wait days or weeks for an answer if ever. That was the main attraction of the "other board" - if you posted a question, you got answers the same day.
Believe me, we are aware of this and are working on some ways to change it.


Blue skies ...

--rita
Hi Rita! I didn't realize that you are a board moderator. Can you elaborate on some of the things that you (Cruisemates) are doing to increase board participation?
Thanks!

Rich
Reply With Quote
  #21 (permalink)  
Old September 6th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 1,139
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsea
Hi Rita! I didn't realize that you are a board moderator. Can you elaborate on some of the things that you (Cruisemates) are doing to increase board participation?
Thanks!

Rich
Mainly by having us, the moderators, stay on the boards more ... answer questions promptly ... start interesting conversations, etc. Also, by having more board moderators, so that one moderator is not faced with having to monitor six different boards and not do any of them justice.

We're also endeavoring to get reader reviews posted ASAP after receiving them. I personally put these up and I try for no more than a 24-hour turnaround time. Of course, there are times I don't make this due to scheduling conflicts, but my track record is pretty good. We also try to keep the entire site fresh on a daily basis by updating it with new articles, news stories and other neat stuff. Generally three times a week, a new article goes up, and the site gets "refreshed" every weekday with a new photo, thread of the day, etc.

There are other things in the works that I am not too versed in, but I am going to ask Paul Motter to respond to this post as well, since he is our editor and is totally involved in all things board related.

Yes, I've been with CruiseMates now for over a year and I love it. I don't just moderate the boards, but am the assistant editor as well. In other words, that means I get to write all kinds of interesting articles and interview all sorts of neat people from the cruise lines. Only wish my "real" job were so much fun.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old September 8th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Paul Motter's Avatar
Administrator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: in my office!
Posts: 10,911
Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default

OK. if breaking down the MOB by ship is what needs to be done we will do it. It just seemed like so many folders. I teied to get people to standardize their posts in other ways - so they could search them easily, but people didn't comply.
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old September 8th, 2008, 04:26 PM
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 259
Send a message via AIM to richsea
Default

[quote="kryos
Mainly by having us, the moderators, stay on the boards more ... answer questions promptly ... start interesting conversations, etc. Also, by having more board moderators, so that one moderator is not faced with having to monitor six different boards and not do any of them justice.

Blue skies ...

--rita[/quote]

Thanks Rita! In fact, I think that if everyone who is registered with Cruisemates would make an effort to become more active on the boards, it would encourage more responses from others. Oftentimes I see a post & just move on to the next one without a reply. In the future, I will try to be more active.

Thanks again!

Rich
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old September 9th, 2008, 06:52 AM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 1,139
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by "richsea
Thanks Rita! In fact, I think that if everyone who is registered with Cruisemates would make an effort to become more active on the boards, it would encourage more responses from others. Oftentimes I see a post & just move on to the next one without a reply. In the future, I will try to be more active.
And that's something I, too, will try to do. I get really busy sometimes with the "behind the scenes" work I do with CM that I don't spend nearly the amount of time I should on these message boards. I will try to remedy that in the future.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old September 9th, 2008, 07:46 PM
crusin' fool's Avatar
Senior Member
Cruise Maniac
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Posts: 154
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter
OK. if breaking down the MOB by ship is what needs to be done we will do it. It just seemed like so many folders. I teied to get people to standardize their posts in other ways - so they could search them easily, but people didn't comply.
Thanks
I see you got it started, any idea when it will be open?
Virgil
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old September 9th, 2008, 09:44 PM
Mike M's Avatar
Administrator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: You're Looking At Me
Posts: 23,881
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusin' fool
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter
OK. if breaking down the MOB by ship is what needs to be done we will do it. It just seemed like so many folders. I teied to get people to standardize their posts in other ways - so they could search them easily, but people didn't comply.
Thanks
I see you got it started, any idea when it will be open?
Virgil
It will be done by the end of the week or earlier.

Take care,
Mike
__________________
Cruisemates Community Leader/Moderator

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old September 10th, 2008, 10:23 AM
crusin' fool's Avatar
Senior Member
Cruise Maniac
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Posts: 154
Default

Thanks for the info, It's looking good.


Virgil
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old September 11th, 2008, 01:00 AM
Mike M's Avatar
Administrator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: You're Looking At Me
Posts: 23,881
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusin' fool
Thanks for the info, It's looking good.


Virgil
Virgil and all,

The new MOB boards are done. Now everyone needs to go to their Cruise Line and ship and post their next cruise.

Take care,
Mike
__________________
Cruisemates Community Leader/Moderator

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old September 11th, 2008, 10:43 AM
Senior Member
Captain
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 915
Default

I wonder a bit how everyone is trying to refer to the 'other' board by saying it begins with "cruise". Well, gee, that's a shocker. A message board re: cruising that starts with 'cruise'.

I can name at least 5 off the top of my head.
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old September 11th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 259
Send a message via AIM to richsea
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail7seas
I wonder a bit how everyone is trying to refer to the 'other' board by saying it begins with "cruise". Well, gee, that's a shocker. A message board re: cruising that starts with 'cruise'.

I can name at least 5 off the top of my head.
Yeah, right! It's CruiseCritic.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Have Airline Problems Caused Cruise Problems for You? jhannah Holland America 18 February 28th, 2007 04:06 PM
DIFFERENT CRUISE BOARDS pudy68 Royal Caribbean International 11 March 31st, 2004 04:20 PM
cruise boards JT Chit - Chat for Cruisers 6 December 8th, 2001 12:02 AM
Problems with Pix on Boards Divetex Chit - Chat for Cruisers 8 July 20th, 2001 06:53 AM
I Appreciate Both Cruise Boards Paul B Chit - Chat for Cruisers 2 June 27th, 2001 03:05 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:42 PM.
design by: Themes by Design

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1