Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 14th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Passenger

Default New to the Forums. Question: What does Code Red mean?

Hello,

I just read a posting that mentioned the Zaandam sailed from San Diego earlier this year 'Code Red' and that HAL offered refunds to those passengers that desired them.

We were on the Maasdam last October and there was no AC in most of the cabins, including ours; frequently there was no hot water; and we were subjected to occasional power outages. Would this have been a Code Red Classification?

Thank you in advance,

Bob
Sponsored Links
Old August 14th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Admiral

When the ship encounters the Norovirus, they go into CODE RED, status.

Check out this article I found on Frommers web site.

http://www.frommers.com/articles/4079.html

Under normal circumstances, an HAL ship operates in code green, which entails daily cleaning of the ship with a regular detergent. Kuppens (HM-HAL) told me when two to three cases of the gastrointestinal (or GI) bug are reported within one day, then the ship moves up to a code yellow status. First, at the time a GI case is reported, the guest is quarantined in his or her cabin for 24 hours and the cabin is also vigorously cleaned as soon as possible. At the yellow level, passengers will not likely notice what is going on behind the scenes, but the ship will be undergoing a daily cleaning regimen with a special hydrogen peroxide-based product called Virox 5, that kills germs (the "5" indicating the number of minutes the solution takes to work). It can be used in the form of a wipe or sprayed from a spray bottle. On the day our cruise started, Kuppens told me the ship had gone into "code red," the highest of the three levels, which is typically implemented when there are five or more cases of GI illness per day over successive days. Kuppens points out that HAL's threshold for moving into either yellow or red code is stricter than what the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) advises.

Quote:
We were on the Maasdam last October and there was no AC in most of the cabins, including ours; frequently there was no hot water; and we were subjected to occasional power outages. Would this have been a Code Red Classification?
No!
Old August 14th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Passenger

Thank you, DeeDee, for the information. I never thought about the novovirus since reports of such seem to be way down.

Bob
Old August 15th, 2008, 07:06 PM
First Mate

Default Re: New to the Forums. Question: What does Code Red mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpjkw11
Hello,
Thank you in advance,
Bob
Code Purple face would have been more like our reaction. We were looking at the Massdam for a fall cruise. We have so many Massdam ceramic tiles we thought that with a few more we could refinish the kitchen...

Thanks for the heads up for it sounds like code Purple to us.
Old August 15th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Captain

Sorry you had an unhappy experience on Maasdam but, fortunately for us, we have wonderful cruises on her. We sail her multiple times a year and are doing our annual Canada/New England cruises, Boston to Montreal to Boston and can't wait.

We have sailed her a great many times and have a number of future cruises booked on her.

Out of HAL's fleet, Maasdam and Noordam are our two favorite ships.

We have never felt any inclination to be looking for refunds or the like.
Old August 15th, 2008, 08:47 PM
Passenger

Judging by previous posts and others with whom I have spoken, our Maasdam experience was more of an aberration than anything else. The thing that made me most angry was when we were getting ready to disembark I saw several Holland employees pushing carts loaded with box fans that they were placing in a number of cabins; cabins whose passengers had been assured the AC would be working shortly. My assessment, and I hope I'm wrong, was that Holland/Maasdam Officers knew the AC didn't work and would not work on the following cruise. I wrote a less than glowing letter, through my travel agent, to Holland, but didn't ask for any refund or future credit. That's just the breaks; poop happens.

Our first Holland cruise was aboard the Zuiderdam and it couldn't have been better. We've booked a 15 day Hawaiian cruise in December aboard the Vaandam. I must confess to a little heartburn, but I'm willing to continue as a Holland customer and I think the cruise will turn out quite nicely.

I'm still a Holland fan, though I won't set foot aboard the Maasdam again. That's OK because they have a number of other/newer ships we can travel on.

Bob
Old August 15th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Our first Holland cruise was aboard the Zuiderdam and it couldn't have been better. We've booked a 15 day Hawaiian cruise in December aboard the Vaandam.
Did you mean the Zaandam to Hawaii?? No such ship as the Vaandam. Probably just a typing error .
Old August 15th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Passenger

Sorry for the typo. The Z and V are too close together.

Bob
Old August 18th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Passenger

We just returned from the 7day R/T Boston Historic Coast cruise aboard the Maasdam on Saturday 8/16. If there were any problems with air conditioning or any other ship issues, I was unaware of it. We chatted with many passengers, and everyone seemed to be having a great time, as did my whole party.

Looking forward to the Zaandam to Hawaii in February 2009!
Old August 19th, 2008, 03:00 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpjkw11
Usually Code Red on a HAL ship means an outbreak of norovirus. The staff has to serve all the food, even at the buffet. They give you salt in packets instead of salt shakers, and other precautions are taken as well to contain the virus.

The "code" you have to worry about though is if you hear a "bright star" announcement. This will even come through the speakers in your cabin. It means a medical emergency or a death has occurred onboard the ship. It summons a medical team to the location where it has occurred.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old August 19th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Admiral

Post deleted