Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 10th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Admiral

Default New 'Signature Class' ship named

Old September 10th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Admiral

That's GREAT! I am sure everyone will be pleased with the name NIEUW AMSTERDAM.

Having sailed on the old Nieuw A many times, we look forward to sailing on this one.
Old September 11th, 2008, 09:45 AM
Captain

Thank you, Mr. Kruse et al........

Perfect Name.

Tradition still lives at HAL.

Love it.

Really hoping the Dedication/Naming will be held in New York and her maiden voyage will sail immediately thereafter as with Noordam.

We certainly will hope to be there and to sail her first voygage.
Old September 11th, 2008, 07:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

I seriously doubt we would try any of the Sig class ships. We think the Vista's are too big. Just really love the S & R class ships best.
Old September 12th, 2008, 08:43 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusin' fool
I seriously doubt we would try any of the Sig class ships. We think the Vista's are too big. Just really love the S & R class ships best.
I'm with you.

I don't understand why every cruise line seems to want to build bigger and bigger ships these days. Just seems that at some point they're gonna reach a point where they simply can't fill all the berths on a weekly basis ... and then they are gonna wind up almost giving cabins away. That won't increase the bottom line much.

I do know that the bigger the ship, the more "economies of scale" that can be realized. In other words, if the ship is booked solid, the profit margin per person is much higher generally than on the same sailing taking place on a smaller mass market line ship. But, that theory only works if you have a reasonable expectation of filling all those cabins week after week ... while holding the price to a certain level. Well, I honestly think the mass market cruise lines are gonna eventually start to have problems ... especially in this troublesome economy. Then, if they wind up cut-rating the cost of cabins just to fill the ship, I doubt they will realize the profits they wish to see on that ship.

True, when a ship is new, everyone will want to sail it. From what I understand, the Oasis of the Seas is booking up nicely, and those cabins are far from cheap ... in fact, they reflect brand new ship prices ... so they are probably higher than the same category cabin on another RCI ship. But eventually, the novelty of sailing Oasis of the Seas will fade, and RCI will be faced with a ship whose cabins can't be filled every week. Other cruise lines will be in the same "boat," so to speak.

So I really think this new build frenzy is not necessarily a good idea ... especially if each new build gets bigger and bigger, with more and more cabins that must be sold. I think the smart cruise line today would be wise to acquire some smaller ships from other lines, renovate them, and then put together some nice itineraries for those people who don't need all the bells and whistles to have a great cruise. I'd be willing to bet those lines, with the smaller ships as opposed to the large new builds, will be the ones that wil turn out to be more profitable over the next decade ... sailing week in and week out with a full passenger load, while still keeping the cost per cabin stable.

If you don't believe me ... how about Disney, or Cunard? Those lines have a limited number of ships to fill each week, and they do manage to fill them nicely and at solid pricing levels. Now look at Princess ... with two ships doing it's World Cruise next year. I hear tell they are cutting cabins to bargain basement rates just to sail those ships full. Doesn't that say something for the state of our economy right now?

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old September 14th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Admiral

I wonder whats going to happen to the old Amsterdam.
will there not be some confusion with the Amsterdam and the
Nieuw Amusterdam.
Old September 15th, 2008, 12:31 AM
Admiral

Quote:
I wonder whats going to happen to the old Amsterdam.

The Amsterdam isn't that old. It was brought out in 2000 and will no doubt be around for a long time.

Quote:
will there not be some confusion with the Amsterdam and the
Nieuw Amusterdam.
There probably will be but passengers will have to be very careful when booking a cruise to make sure that they specify which ship they want to book. Also TA's will have to be on their toes and make sure they know which ship the passenger wants to book.