CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Holland America (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/holland-america/)
-   -   dancing? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/holland-america/357509-dancing.html)

NanaShrek October 20th, 2008 07:52 PM

dancing?

Are dance classes offered on the Westerdam? Dad would be interested in Ballroom Dancing, but wondered what if any were available.

Thanks!

:D

DeeDee October 21st, 2008 08:12 PM

I know they used to be offered but I don't think they are on short cruises any more........probably just on longer cruises.

Check your daily program to see if they are offered.

kryos October 28th, 2008 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeeDee
I know they used to be offered but I don't think they are on short cruises any more........probably just on longer cruises.

I could be wrong, but I think they would be offered on sea days on just about any cruise. I think the cast members give them and they are usually held either in the Crow's Nest or out by the Lido pool.

What won't be offered is the services of the "social hosts" for dancing in the lounges in the evenings on the shorter cruises. You'll have to scare up your own dance partners for the shorter cruises since HAL only brings along dance (social) hosts for the longer itineraries when there is likely to be more singles and solos, or older ladies whose husbands maybe don't dance any longer.

Blue skies ...

--rita

DeeDee October 29th, 2008 09:29 AM

[quote]I believe you are right that they only offer the dance lessons on sea days.

I've never seen them held out by the Lido pool, but have seen them in the Crow's Nest and on the stage in the main show room.

NanaShrek October 29th, 2008 12:28 PM

I'll try to pay special attention to the activities list on sea days. Thanks for the replies!

Pilotdane October 29th, 2008 09:45 PM

There were no dancing lessons on our 15 day cruise. Well, there was line dancing one day.

kryos October 30th, 2008 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pilotdane
There were no dancing lessons on our 15 day cruise. Well, there was line dancing one day.

Strange. I seem to recall dance classes (don't know about strictly "ballroom" dancing) on sea days on even my shorter cruises. Usually the cast hosted them and often they took place on the Lido deck. I seem to recall line dancing, but also other types of dancing too. While I generally don't go in for this sort of thing, I have seen them doing the class before.

Of course, maybe budget cuts have eliminated these on the shorter cruises? I haven't taken a shorter cruise recently, so I honestly wouldn't know. I can only go by what I've seen in the past.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Pilotdane October 30th, 2008 10:12 AM

I have noticed that what happens aboard ship is very dependant on the crew. Different cruise or activity directors have different seminars, classes and games. There seems to be no corporate edict that says each cruise shall contain: trivia contest, dance classes... It is just what the event staff aboard your ship cook up in their heads.

I recall on Norway that dance classes were offered quite often on their 7 day cruises, and I remember a few classes on our Pacific Princess 7 day, and line dancing was the only thing I saw on Westerdam. That could change when some of the crew changes in their regular rotation.

redsails October 30th, 2008 01:20 PM

We were on the Maasdam in August, and there were at least 3 afternoons when dance classes were offered. They were hosted by the party planner and the DJ - we had dinner with the party planner and I think the comment on activites varying from ship to ship due to the onboard crew is accurate. She told us she and the DJ were the ones who planned and scheduled the dance classes.
I'm sure the Noordam offered dance classes in Feb of 2007, but when we cruised on her last winter, I don't remember any dance lessons.

flyball November 10th, 2008 12:57 AM

We were on the Westerdam approx. 11 months ago. There were no dance lessons and only one small band with a tiny dancefloor. There were few people dancing. The Ship was quite dead.

David