Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 20th, 2008, 08:52 PM
First Mate

Default dancing?

Are dance classes offered on the Westerdam? Dad would be interested in Ballroom Dancing, but wondered what if any were available.

Thanks!

Old October 21st, 2008, 09:12 PM
Admiral

I know they used to be offered but I don't think they are on short cruises any more........probably just on longer cruises.

Check your daily program to see if they are offered.
Old October 28th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDee
I know they used to be offered but I don't think they are on short cruises any more........probably just on longer cruises.
I could be wrong, but I think they would be offered on sea days on just about any cruise. I think the cast members give them and they are usually held either in the Crow's Nest or out by the Lido pool.

What won't be offered is the services of the "social hosts" for dancing in the lounges in the evenings on the shorter cruises. You'll have to scare up your own dance partners for the shorter cruises since HAL only brings along dance (social) hosts for the longer itineraries when there is likely to be more singles and solos, or older ladies whose husbands maybe don't dance any longer.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old October 29th, 2008, 10:29 AM
Admiral

[quote]I believe you are right that they only offer the dance lessons on sea days.

I've never seen them held out by the Lido pool, but have seen them in the Crow's Nest and on the stage in the main show room.
Old October 29th, 2008, 01:28 PM
First Mate

I'll try to pay special attention to the activities list on sea days. Thanks for the replies!
Old October 29th, 2008, 10:45 PM
Passenger

There were no dancing lessons on our 15 day cruise. Well, there was line dancing one day.
Old October 30th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotdane
There were no dancing lessons on our 15 day cruise. Well, there was line dancing one day.
Strange. I seem to recall dance classes (don't know about strictly "ballroom" dancing) on sea days on even my shorter cruises. Usually the cast hosted them and often they took place on the Lido deck. I seem to recall line dancing, but also other types of dancing too. While I generally don't go in for this sort of thing, I have seen them doing the class before.

Of course, maybe budget cuts have eliminated these on the shorter cruises? I haven't taken a shorter cruise recently, so I honestly wouldn't know. I can only go by what I've seen in the past.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old October 30th, 2008, 11:12 AM
Passenger

I have noticed that what happens aboard ship is very dependant on the crew. Different cruise or activity directors have different seminars, classes and games. There seems to be no corporate edict that says each cruise shall contain: trivia contest, dance classes... It is just what the event staff aboard your ship cook up in their heads.

I recall on Norway that dance classes were offered quite often on their 7 day cruises, and I remember a few classes on our Pacific Princess 7 day, and line dancing was the only thing I saw on Westerdam. That could change when some of the crew changes in their regular rotation.
Old October 30th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Passenger

We were on the Maasdam in August, and there were at least 3 afternoons when dance classes were offered. They were hosted by the party planner and the DJ - we had dinner with the party planner and I think the comment on activites varying from ship to ship due to the onboard crew is accurate. She told us she and the DJ were the ones who planned and scheduled the dance classes.
I'm sure the Noordam offered dance classes in Feb of 2007, but when we cruised on her last winter, I don't remember any dance lessons.
Old November 10th, 2008, 01:57 AM
Passenger

We were on the Westerdam approx. 11 months ago. There were no dance lessons and only one small band with a tiny dancefloor. There were few people dancing. The Ship was quite dead.

David