Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 28th, 2008, 12:08 PM
First Mate

Default Westerdam ~ quiet spots?

I was wondering what quiet spots or little known out of the way places there might be on the Westerdam. I'd like to have a place to get away from the noise, kids, annoying relatives, etc.
Old October 28th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Quiet places

During the day I like the Ocean bar area. There are quiet nooks with windows looking out onto the praminade deck and the sea beyond. A great place to read or just veg. out. An excellent place to hide. The explorations cafe is essentially part of the crows nest (or vice-versa) on the Westerdam, so reading can be challenging if easily distracted, and besides that's the first place annoying relatives would come looking for you.
Old October 29th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Admiral

The Explorer's Lounge - different from the Explorations Cafe, is another quiet place to sit and read, although there's really no place to "hide out" from annoying relatives there either.
Old October 29th, 2008, 12:54 PM
First Mate

I hear great things about the Hydro Pool. That might be an option for a quiet spot...probably worth the money if I find I really need to "get away" from the annoying ones!
Old October 29th, 2008, 09:38 PM
Passenger

Inside the ship
Northern Lights (the disco): Empty during the day. Booths with tables but can be a little dark.

Queens Lounge (the culinary arts center): If no events are scheduled it is usually empty and you have your choice of different seats .

Atrium bar (lowest level of the atrium): People pass through and are booking tours but they tend to walk on by the bar area.

Vista Lounge (the big theater at the bow): If nothing is scheduled there is a lot of room to find a quiet corner. The doors are closed when there are rehersals.

Out on deck
Middle of the observation deck (outside the sliding roof): There are no chairs but most people go to the bow or stern to gaze at the sea so it's usually quiet.

Lido deck forward (balcony in front of fitness room): Most people don't know how to get there. From the deck 9 forward stairwell, walk forward on the starboard side, keep walking past the fitness center to the end of the hall. Push the door hard, it has a strong spring.
Old October 31st, 2008, 09:40 PM
Admiral

At night I like to walk around the Promende deck . its quiet
and so peaceful. and I like to sit down some where dark and look at the stars
Old November 25th, 2008, 11:34 PM
Passenger

Just about anywhere on the ship after 8pm, you will have peace and quiet
Old January 20th, 2009, 02:20 AM
Beginner

Try deck three by the Java Cafe. Lots of chairs and never anyone there! It is right outside of the Huddson and Half Moon room and honestly, I have never seen anyone sitting there plus it is very quiet. Apparently not too many people know about it so you can get "lost" for a few hours.
Old January 20th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted to the sea
Try deck three by the Java Cafe. Lots of chairs and never anyone there! It is right outside of the Huddson and Half Moon room and honestly, I have never seen anyone sitting there plus it is very quiet. Apparently not too many people know about it so you can get "lost" for a few hours.

What ship are you talking about because the Java Cafe used to be on Deck 4, but it no longer exists........ the area has been turned into a wine bar/gourmet shop.

They now have the Explorations Cafe where they charge for various coffees, but the pastries are still free. and depending on the ship you are on it can be on the Upper Prom Deck or located in the Crow's Nest. You have to check the deck plans for each ship to locate it.
Old January 20th, 2009, 02:37 PM
Admiral

The crow`s nest in the afternoon is a nice place to visit. You can read a book and fall aspeep .Your balcony would be the best place
Old January 23rd, 2009, 12:34 PM
Beginner

The Pinnacle Bar or Ocean bar during the day if you want service too. Depends too on if you smoke or not and want to stay completely away from smoke. Smoking is allowed in the OB on the bar side. Not sure about the Pinnacle Bar.
Old February 4th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Beginner

I am refering to the Westerdam. The Windstar cafe used to be on deck 2 across from the Pinnacle Grill but that is now the Pinnacle Bar. The Java Cafe is different from the Eplorations Cafe, which is now in the Crow's Nest. The Jave Cafe is not as well known and if you aren't looking for it, you will often times pass it by. Also if the Explorations Cafe runs out of your favorite, like chai tea for me, the Jave will most likely have it. It's there you just have to look for it. Find the shops and head forward toward the Vista Lounge.
Old February 5th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted to the sea
I am refering to the Westerdam. The Windstar cafe used to be on deck 2 across from the Pinnacle Grill but that is now the Pinnacle Bar. The Java Cafe is different from the Eplorations Cafe, which is now in the Crow's Nest. The Jave Cafe is not as well known and if you aren't looking for it, you will often times pass it by. Also if the Explorations Cafe runs out of your favorite, like chai tea for me, the Jave will most likely have it. It's there you just have to look for it. Find the shops and head forward toward the Vista Lounge.

I'm sorry, but I just checked the deck plans for the Westerdam and there is no Java Cafe on Deck 3 between the shops and the Vista Lounge. There's the Half Moon, Hudson and Stuyvesant - but no JAVA.
Old February 16th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Passenger

Default quiet spot

You would probably enjoy the crow's nest. It is a library/coffee/cocktail bar located on the top floor. It is soooo relaxing up there. I know you would enjoy it.