Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 10th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Passenger

Default WINE CARDS

Taking first HAL cruise next month; I noted that on their website you can buy gift cards for 20 glasses of wine, for example. Are these available on board, or should I buy a "gift" for myself before departing?
Transatlantic / Pacific Princess Final Voyage, Oct. '01
Caribbean / RCL Adventure of the Seas, July '03
Caribbean / NCL Sky, June '04
Caribbean / Celebrity Horizon, Dec. '04
Sponsored Links
Old December 3rd, 2008, 10:12 PM
Familiar Face

Hi Maruccio
On the first day of the cruise, the stewardesses came around selling the wine, soda and cocktail cards - so you'll be fine to wait until then!
ALSO - FYI, the spa have daily specials on massages, facials etc - especially when in port.
Old December 5th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Familiar Face

We are on the Volendam in February. I just checked the HAL site and I cannot see any reference to the wine cards. Can you either direct me to the URL, or tell me what the cost is please?

Many thanks and happy sailing!
Old December 6th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Beginner

Send a message via Yahoo to sassy73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules in Sydney
Hi Maruccio
On the first day of the cruise, the stewardesses came around selling the wine, soda and cocktail cards - so you'll be fine to wait until then!
ALSO - FYI, the spa have daily specials on massages, facials etc - especially when in port.
Do you know how much the wine and cocktail cards are, and what you get with them? I'm paying the way for me and a travel companion (I use a wheelchair) and want to give some extras to my companion, but not just have a totally open bar tab or something! I would be doing this for myself as well. I definitely won't be doing spa treatments, and will probably just buy soveniers for family at the ports.
Old December 9th, 2008, 05:42 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLSmith
We are on the Volendam in February. I just checked the HAL site and I cannot see any reference to the wine cards. Can you either direct me to the URL, or tell me what the cost is please?

I think you have to log in ... and access the "for booked guests" section with your booking number and last name. Then I believe you can order things for your stateroom. The general storefront is only for buying stuff like the Mariner Dream Bed and other packages that anyone can order even if they are not booked for a cruise at the current time.

But onboard gifts have to be ordered from the "For Booked Guests" tab.

By the way, you can buy all manner of stuff. I bought Signature Cocktail Cards, a wine card, a photo card good for printing off 100 digital prints from my memory card, along with shore excursions. Yes, all this stuff can be purchased onboard just as well. It's just that some people, including myself, prefer to pay upfront for as many things as possible. Keeps down the onboard spending total.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old December 29th, 2008, 10:08 AM
First Mate

Purchasing prepaid cards for a cruise may or may not be a good deal. We just got off a HA cruise and we were discouraged from purchasing a coffee card by a crew member. The reason was that depending upon your drink you may actually pay more per drink using a coffee cruise card. We also took a look at the drink card and decided it was better to purchase a bottle of wine at dinner and have the steward bring the unused portion back for the second evening. Some travelers may think that is a hassel and would prefer a card. I think this is just a personal decision. By the way--drink cards are available the day you board. Just ask any staff person. You will usually find them close to the elevator being used for passengers who are embarking.
Old December 29th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbelt
........By the way--drink cards are available the day you board. Just ask any staff person. You will usually find them close to the elevator being used for passengers who are embarking.
Thanks Bill.

I looked on the HAL site and I can find gift selections, but I do not see anything about wine cards. I guess I'll wait until we board.
Old December 29th, 2008, 11:53 AM
Familiar Face

Default Wine Cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassy73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules in Sydney
Hi Maruccio
Do you know how much the wine and cocktail cards are, and what you get with them? I'm paying the way for me and a travel companion (I use a wheelchair) and want to give some extras to my companion, but not just have a totally open bar tab or something! I would be doing this for myself as well. I definitely won't be doing spa treatments, and will probably just buy soveniers for family at the ports.

The wine cards may be purchased as either a 10 or 20 pour card. The 10 pour card costs $41.40 and the 20 pour card costs $77.63. Both prices INCLUDE the 15% gratuity! The pour is only a (small) 6 ounce! Obviously, the better value is to purchase the 20 pour card! It may be purchased from the wine steward serving your table!
I am unsure of the cost of the cocktail cards, however, from what I have read on another message board, the cocktail cards are not a great value with little saving!

Old December 29th, 2008, 12:01 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryos
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLSmith

I think you have to log in ... and access the "for booked guests" section with your booking number and last name. Then I believe you can order things for your stateroom. The general storefront is only for buying stuff like the Mariner Dream Bed and other packages that anyone can order even if they are not booked for a cruise at the current time.

But onboard gifts have to be ordered from the "For Booked Guests" tab.

By the way, you can buy all manner of stuff. I bought Signature Cocktail Cards, a wine card, a photo card good for printing off 100 digital prints from my memory card, along with shore excursions. Yes, all this stuff can be purchased onboard just as well. It's just that some people, including myself, prefer to pay upfront for as many things as possible. Keeps down the onboard spending total.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Go to the HAL website & click on "For Booked Guests" (at the top right hand side of the page). Then using your mouse, place the cursor on "Onboard Gifts" at the bottom of the list. When the next page comes up, you will see the words "Printable Gift Order Form", (at the bottom left corner of the page). Click on that and enlarge the form on your screen. It lists everything that is available to purchase.
Old December 29th, 2008, 12:04 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbelt
Purchasing prepaid cards for a cruise may or may not be a good deal. We just got off a HA cruise and we were discouraged from purchasing a coffee card by a crew member. The reason was that depending upon your drink you may actually pay more per drink using a coffee cruise card. We also took a look at the drink card and decided it was better to purchase a bottle of wine at dinner and have the steward bring the unused portion back for the second evening. Some travelers may think that is a hassel and would prefer a card. I think this is just a personal decision. By the way--drink cards are available the day you board. Just ask any staff person. You will usually find them close to the elevator being used for passengers who are embarking.

It is easier to purchase any cards from your server at your first dinner in the dining room (or in the Lido).
Old December 29th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Admiral

We find it easier to buy the wine card from one of the bartenders or the beverage servers in the Dolphin, Sports Lounge or the Ocean Bar.

We usually find the wine stewards in the dining room/lido are too busy serving the guests to have to take the time to sell the wine cards.
Old December 30th, 2008, 06:00 AM
Familiar Face

[quote="DeeDee"]We find it easier to buy the wine card from one of the bartenders or the beverage servers in the Dolphin, Sports Lounge or the Ocean Bar.

We usually find the wine stewards in the dining room/lido are too busy serving the guests to have to take the time to sell the wine cards.[/quote]

Not from our experience! Besides, we have discovered that it is better to purchase the wine card(s) from the server, (in our case the wine steward in the dining room), from whom you will be receiving your glass(es) of wine, in terms of service! Does the server who sells you the wine card(s) NOT the person who benefits (minimally) from the gratuity? By the way, it is NOT the entire 15% as some people may think!
Old January 11th, 2009, 08:21 AM
Passenger

Default wine cards

In trying to figure out whether or not to buy a wine card, can someone tell me how much a pour of wine is including gratuity? Also can one pack a bottle of wine in a suitcase for cabin consumption?
Old January 11th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Beginner

You may bring on as many bottles of wine as you can carry. However, if you take them into the dining room, you will be charged a corkage fee of $15/bottle. Wine consumed in your room is not subject to the charge. Bring a wine puller but pack it in your checked luggage or they confiscate it at the airport which happened to me in San Diego last November. Actually, my husband and I thought that the HAL wines offered were quite good and attended two of the tastings - good fun. We did bring 6 bottles with us which offsets the price a bit if you like good quality wine.
Old January 15th, 2009, 11:43 PM
Beginner

Send a message via MSN to Easy Oar

Hi there - I sailed 1 month on Volendam last year and wine cards were easily available from the wine waiter in the dining rooms. Also they were quite happy for us to bring on board wine but we did drink it in our cabin before dinner and didn't "flaunt" it in public areas. The wine card worked out to about $4 per glass which is a lot cheaper if you are getting the house wines.