Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 17th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Beginner

Default 27 day cruise on Statendam

I am thinking of taking the 27 day cruise on Statendam which goes from
ft lauderdale to san diego, crossing the panama canal. Any comments
on ship or ports of call? Thanks for your advice.
Sponsored Links
Old November 18th, 2008, 02:29 AM
Admiral

Default Re: 27 day cruise on Statendam

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopnuts
I am thinking of taking the 27 day cruise on Statendam which goes from
ft lauderdale to san diego, crossing the panama canal. Any comments
on ship or ports of call? Thanks for your advice.
Can't comment on the ports of call, but I can say you will love the Statendam. I just spent 35 days onboard going to Hawaii and the South Pacific, and all I can say is that the ship was amazing. It's truly elegant with a crew that makes it such. I honestly can't say nothing negative about the ship or its crew, as my every wish (well, almost every wish ... they still made me disembark at the end) was not only granted, but often anticipated.

The ship has plenty of facilities for an enjoyable cruise ... a wonderful library (Explorations Cafe), lots of nice bars and lounges, two pools, and a card/game room. They do run the traditional activities such as daily trivia, "Dam Dollars" events, Explorations Speaker Series, etc.

But the nice thing about sailing the Statendam is the ambience onboard ... something that is particularly important on long cruises. There really is no need to do things. The ship invites you to just relax and wile away the hours. Nothing I enjoyed more than the prospect of a full day at sea with nothing in particular to do. I would take my Kindle up to the Navigation Deck, relax with a cigarette and perhaps a beverage, and just read for hours. Or, even better ... go to the Explorations Cafe and relax with a good book or magazine for hours ... or settle into one of those comfy chairs with the music listening stations and put on a pair of headphones. You could wind up waking up several hours later ... so be warned.

I also found the staff and crew on the Statendam to be one of the best of all of the HAL ships I've been on. Service is top notch.

As for the food, of course that's very subjective, but I found every meal I took onboard to be enjoyable ... but then, to be fair, I have to say that I don't cruise for the food ... so I am pretty easy to please.

I don't think you can go wrong with this itinerary or this ship.

Let me know if you have any specific questions and I'll try to answer them.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old November 21st, 2008, 07:38 AM
Passenger

My parents are currently on Statendam for 26 days so I will be able to give you a current report on the ship and ports in a couple weeks. You did not mention which ports you would be visiting so I am just guessing.

I recently (October) did a 15 day on Westerdam from San Diego to Ft. Lauderdale. I LOVED the canal as I am very into shipping, boats and the canal in general so that was a big event for me. Mywife did not find it as interesting though she still enjoyed the transit very much. I really enjoyed Colombia, Costa Rica and Guatemala. Generally I did not like the stops in Mexico as much as Central and South America. The street vendors & taxi drivers/guides were the most aggressive and annoying in Mexico but once you got a hundred yards away from tourist areas we were never bothered.

zoopnuts: If you have specific questions about ports or list where you will be going I can give you some more detailed information.
Old December 24th, 2008, 08:38 PM
First Mate

We have sailed on the Statendam three times, the last being the 30 days to the South Pacific. We had "anytime dining" which was just being implemented on that ship. There were some issues that needed to be worked out and by the end of the crusie most had been. This ship has seen some renovatiosn in public areas and they are very nice. If you take a look at some of the areas, such as some of the staterooms, renovations are in order. Windows on the ship were being worked on almost the entire crusie. Some of the seal and caulking was in poor condition. In our cabin the window area actually leaked air and water. This is just what happens to an older ship and renovation usually takes care of this. We noticed the steel plating buckled on the Lido Deck entrance. We saw more than one passenger stumble on the rise.The staff does a good job, however we did not find it outstanding as we have in the past.