Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 30th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Passenger

Default glass of wine?

Hello cruise-mates,
Am I allowed to bring a glass of wine with me from the cabin to the public areas like the Lido? Has anybody tried?
Sponsored Links
Old November 30th, 2008, 11:11 PM
Admiral

You can bring a glass of wine anywhere on the ship, it won't be a problem
Old December 1st, 2008, 03:26 AM
Passenger

Thanks Earl,
it would be embarrassing being told about it.
Old December 1st, 2008, 11:58 PM
Captain

You CAN but I wouldn't want to. It's really bad form.

It is clear that you want to drink the wine from the bottle that is in your cabin in order to not buy a drink.

I would be embarrassed.
Save your 'cabin wine' for your cabin is my suggestion.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 07:14 AM
Admiral

Default Re: glass of wine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vico64
Hello cruise-mates,
Am I allowed to bring a glass of wine with me from the cabin to the public areas like the Lido? Has anybody tried?
I see nothing wrong with bringing a glass of wine with you to the Lido. In fact, I've seen people walk into the dining room carrying a glass of wine.

Some people feel that you should only consume your own wine in the stateroom, and not bring it into the public areas, but I personally don't agree with this ... especially in a venue such as the Lido.

I recently traveled on the Statendam, and I spent time with a couple who frequently brought their own cans of soda to the Ocean Bar. They drank a brand that wasn't available on the ship and there was no issue with them bringing it to the bar to enjoy.

Now, I would recommend that you also patronize the ship's bars and lounges on occasion as well. I know that I would feel a bit embarrassed to NEVER buy a drink onboard the ship. But that said, I don't think it is necessary to ALWAYS buy every beverage you consume from the ship. After all, if one is a heavy wine or soda drinker, that could get somewhat expensive.

The other option available to you is to buy a wine card. You can get them for either 10 or 20 pours of a house wine brand. Then each time you want a glass of wine, you can just use the wine card. I always buy wine and Signature Cocktail Cards in advance of my cruises. Makes it a bit easier to keep the onboard charges under control that way.

Blue skies and enjoy your cruise!

--rita
Old December 2nd, 2008, 07:19 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail7seas
You CAN but I wouldn't want to. It's really bad form.

It is clear that you want to drink the wine from the bottle that is in your cabin in order to not buy a drink.

I would be embarrassed.
Save your 'cabin wine' for your cabin is my suggestion.
What about all the people who come from the lounges and bars to the dining room carrying their unfinished glass of wine with them? I've seen that many times and it wouldn't look any different if he carried his glass of wine from his cabin to the Lido.

I'm not saying one should NEVER buy a beverage onboard the ship, but sometimes it is just easier to take it along, rather than have to hunt down a wine steward to order a glass. After all, there aren't exactly a lot of wine stewards who work the Lido.

As for consuming your own wine only in your cabin ... sometimes drinking in your cabin is just no fun, and within reason I see no problem enjoying a glass of your own wine in the public areas. And, maybe he bought that bottle of wine from HAL in the first place ... as I do in advance of my cruises.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old December 10th, 2008, 11:01 AM
Passenger

Default ...AND THE SOLUTION IS...

Get friendly with your cabin attendant and give them $5 to get you a wine glass from the bar; then, no one will know where the wine came from, and won't think twice. (same goes for cocktails when you sneak your liquor on board).
Transatlantic / Pacific Princess Final Voyage, Oct. '01
Caribbean / RCL Adventure of the Seas, July '03
Caribbean / NCL Sky, June '04
Caribbean / Celebrity Horizon, Dec. '04
Old December 11th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Passenger

Thanks for all the advise. I guess I will wait and see what other people do.
If HAL would lower the proces for drinks, I think they would sell more and we wouldn´t have to bring our own wine.
Old December 18th, 2008, 10:36 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by vico64
Thanks for all the advise. I guess I will wait and see what other people do.
If HAL would lower the proces for drinks, I think they would sell more and we wouldn´t have to bring our own wine.
Sadly, I don't think you're going to see the cruise lines lowering drink prices anytime soon. Bar service is one of the biggest moneymakers onboard most cruise ships and they depend on those revenues to offset price reductions in other areas.

Like I said, while I certainly wouldn't want to exclusively drink from my own private stash of wine while in public areas of the ship, I see nothing wrong whatsoever in bringing a glass up to the Lido to enjoy with a good book. As I also said, I've seen people bring their own glass of wine or soda into public lounges as well, though I wouldn't want to make it a policy of never buying from the ship. That would just be tacky. But I don't think those bartenders would expect a heavy wine or soda drinker to buy EVERY drink from the bar. That could just get too cost-prohibitive and they know that.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old December 24th, 2008, 09:15 PM
First Mate

We recently sat at a table for 8 on a HA ship and one of the women was alwasy late , as she had to go get her glass of wine and bring it to the table. She was an embarrassment for the entire table. The cost of a glass of wine at dinner just isn't than much, unless one has to consume half dozen glasses with dinner. I agree , leave the cabin wine in the cabin.
Old December 30th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Familiar Face

Default Re: ...AND THE SOLUTION IS...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maruccio
Get friendly with your cabin attendant and give them $5 to get you a wine glass from the bar; then, no one will know where the wine came from, and won't think twice. (same goes for cocktails when you sneak your liquor on board).

No need to have your cabin attendant, (normally called "steward") to get you wine glasses from the bar as wine glasses x2 are already supplied in the staterooms!