Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 6th, 2008, 08:10 PM
First Mate

Default danger in guadeloupe

hi. just returned from a 14 day carib on the maasdam. on guadeloupe last sunday, a couple were mugged at gun point; another couple were followed by three thugs who threatened them. passengers were warned not to go in to town, beyond the few little kiosks that were set up right by the ship. also, there was so much harrassment in roseau, dominica, that passengers not on ecotours returned quickly to the ship. it was awful. i have it on good advice that hal will now visit another port instead of guadeloupe; that guadeloupe is 'off the map.' i was in guadeloupe about ten years ago, and it was bad then; now it looks like the black hole of calcutta. beware. any comments, folks?
Sponsored Links
Old December 6th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

We were in Guadalupe on Easter Monday, a beach holiday on the island...Just a couple of shops open by the pier, and if you were lucky as we were, to get off the ship early, and grab one of the few cabs.

Most of the cabs were Merecedes...we took a private tour, for several hours and enjoyed our drive and stops around the island. It's too bad there is trouble there now....I have always wanted to go back.

For Dominca, that day I was ill and stayed onboard. But from what I could see, it was basically all eco tourist type tours, which would not have interested me anyway..and no shopping either, to speak of, Beautiful lush island to be sure, and also a shame there are problems....

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old December 24th, 2008, 08:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

We really did NOT like our Guadeloupe port stop either. We did NOT feel safe!
Old December 28th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Captain

Not to worry. HAL has no intention of subjecting their guests to unsafe conditions.

We just returned from 14 days on Maasdam and she has had a permanent change of itinerary.

Maasdam has eliminated the stop in Guadaloupe and now calls at St. John's, Antigua. Much better.

No HAL ships will call at Guadaloupe until/unless things change.
Old December 28th, 2008, 03:04 PM
First Mate

this is as i expected; and i am so happy to hear it. no ship, no revenue. that's a way to exert influence, although i understand that those on tours heard the guides say many times that guadeloupe did not depend on tourists. well, fine, and i wish them well.
Old January 3rd, 2009, 07:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail7seas
Not to worry. HAL has no intention of subjecting their guests to unsafe conditions.

We just returned from 14 days on Maasdam and she has had a permanent change of itinerary.

Maasdam has eliminated the stop in Guadaloupe and now calls at St. John's, Antigua. Much better.

No HAL ships will call at Guadaloupe until/unless things change.
Thank You! Glad to know HAL will no longer be going there!
Old January 3rd, 2009, 09:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: danger in guadeloupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hombre
hi. just returned from a 14 day carib on the maasdam. also, there was so much harrassment in roseau, dominica, that passengers not on ecotours returned quickly to the ship. it was awful.
:o EEEK! Dominica!

Has anyone else had a problem in Roseau, DOMINICA?
Old January 4th, 2009, 06:41 AM
First Mate

regarding dominica, in a way the whole situation has a kind of sad side. the island is lovely, to be sure,, but it is poor. i realize that the calling of a cruise ship looks like money sailing into port for those folks -- and it could be. but heckling, catcalling, badgering, panhandling and the like just plain turns most people away. maybe one day they will learn. speaking only for myself, 'getting in my face' is not a welcome; it is a threat.
Old January 4th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

Because of cancelled shore excursions, we've just walked around a bit in Roseau and never had a problem.

THINGS CHANGE so I'm very glad you posted this! Thank You!