Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 12th, 2008, 11:52 AM
Familiar Face

Default Number of Formal Nights?

I can't seem to find this information on the HAL site. Can anyone tell me how many formal nights there is on a 14 night cruise please? It is on the Volendam if that makes any difference. I suspect it is 3, but "she who must be obeyed" needs to know.

Many thanks,
Old December 12th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Admiral

Usually there are 3 for cruises over 12 days. Enjoy!

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old December 12th, 2008, 01:39 PM
First Mate

on my very recent (dec5) cruise aboard the maasdam there were FOUR formal nights for fourteen days. luckily, i was at a wonderful table, so went three of the nights. if the dining experience had been poor, i'd have chosen the lido those nights. but, i was with great companions. but, the answer is FOUR on a two-week cruise.
Old December 12th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Admiral

I am surprised but maybe HAL does it different. On our 15 day R/T to Hawaii cruise in February we only had three formal nights and the rest casual.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old December 12th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Admiral

Sometimes it's 3 and sometimes it's 4 - it's all up to the Captain.

Even if it's 4, you can always wear the same outfit twice. Nobody's really going to notice.
Old December 18th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDee
Sometimes it's 3 and sometimes it's 4 - it's all up to the Captain.

Even if it's 4, you can always wear the same outfit twice. Nobody's really going to notice.
Or, you can opt for the Lido on some of the formal nights and only go to the dining room on the rest.

I think how many formal nights there will be is also related to the type of cruise too. Panama Canal, Europe, etc., will have a bit more. Yet a more "casual" sailing such as the Caribbean or Hawaii, will have the bare minimum.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old December 24th, 2008, 08:08 PM
First Mate

We just got off the 30 day HA crusie to the South Pacific and were surprised at the "informal" formal nights. Seems like a lot of the passengers never planned for even one formal night. Even after going to dinner, we noticed a large number of passenegrs changeing cloths before going to the theater or lounges. There were some passengers that really did dress for formal nights, but not like "yesteryear".Formal nights just are not what they were 20 years ago and going on a Carnival crusie for a formal night----you got to be kidding. We could not tell the difference between passengers with formal attire and those who had just come from the pool deck.
Old December 24th, 2008, 10:45 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Number of Formal Nights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLSmith
I can't seem to find this information on the HAL site. Can anyone tell me how many formal nights there is on a 14 night cruise please? It is on the Volendam if that makes any difference. I suspect it is 3, but "she who must be obeyed" needs to know.

Many thanks,
On a 14 day cruise can expect 4 formal nights and 4 ? semi formal nights. the rest are are informal.

I don't know your cruise schedule

the 2(Day 2) day is usually a formal night
the 2 (Day 13) last day is formal
the other two will depend on the ports etc.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old December 28th, 2008, 10:27 PM
Captain

Rule of thumb for HAL ships is two formal nights per week. (This is not carved in stone and I am sure someone will pipe up about their 15 day cruise that only had 3 formal nights - that would be MOST unusual.)

We just returned from 14 day cruise on Maasdam and true to their norm, we had four formal nights and happily the vast majority of folks made an effort to participate and almost everyone looked nice in the dining room.
Old December 29th, 2008, 06:46 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail7seas
Rule of thumb for HAL ships is two formal nights per week. (This is not carved in stone and I am sure someone will pipe up about their 15 day cruise that only had 3 formal nights - that would be MOST unusual.)

We just returned from 14 day cruise on Maasdam and true to their norm, we had four formal nights and happily the vast majority of folks made an effort to participate and almost everyone looked nice in the dining room.

On our upcoming 30-Day Hawaiian & South Pacific Cruise there will be 6 formal nights!
Old December 29th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Captain

Quote:
sail7seas wrote:

On our upcoming 30-Day Hawaiian & South Pacific Cruise there will be 6 formal nights!

As I said.........always an exception to every rule.