Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 1st, 2009, 11:51 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default formal nights

I will be on the Eurodam in March-this is my first cruise with HAL.

I do not like dressing up for formal night nor does my husband. We will probably eat at the Lido. Just wondering though, do people go to the dining room in less than formal dress. On a past Royal Caribbean cruise, We saw everything from shorts to tuxes and nothing was said as they went in. On a recent Princess cruise, people were turned away if not in a suit or tux.
Will this happen on HAL?

Thanks
Bette
Sponsored Links
Old January 1st, 2009, 12:21 PM
Familiar Face

Default Re: formal nights

Quote:
Originally Posted by betmust
I will be on the Eurodam in March-this is my first cruise with HAL.

I do not like dressing up for formal night nor does my husband. We will probably eat at the Lido. Just wondering though, do people go to the dining room in less than formal dress. On a past Royal Caribbean cruise, We saw everything from shorts to tuxes and nothing was said as they went in. On a recent Princess cruise, people were turned away if not in a suit or tux.
Will this happen on HAL?

Thanks
Bette

From my past cruise experience(s) with HAL, I have seen men on formal night in the Dining Room dressed from a sports jacket & slacks wearing a shirt with no tie to a tuxedo! In reality, the dress (code), on formal nights in the Dining Room for men (is supposed) to be either a suit, (with tie) or a tuxedo! Personally, I dress according to the (suggested) dress code on formal nights in a tuxedo! What could be wrong with that? If someone were to present themselves at the dining room on formal nights wearing a baseball cap, t-shirt, shorts and sandals, then I would anticipate and expect the DRM (Dining Room Manager), as they are now called instead of Maitre 'D, to ask them to return to their staterooms and change into an appropriate attire for a formal dinner event! Wouldn't you?
Old January 1st, 2009, 01:16 PM
Admiral

On our cruises on RCI and HAL ,I have seen people
(mostly Men) turned away from the dining for not being dressed properly.
They tried to enter in shorts , t-shirts , muscle shirts , ball caps etc.
In one case the gentleman was forcibly removed by the staff for in appropriate attire.

Most cruiselines don't allow shorts , t-shirts , muscle shirts , bathing suits
ball caps etc in the dining room at supper. This is specified in the cruise contract that people should read before agreeing to the cruise.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old January 1st, 2009, 01:29 PM
Welcome Newcomer

I would never enter the dining room dressed like that nor would my husband.

What about a pair of dockers and a polo shirt??
Old January 1st, 2009, 01:57 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by betmust
I would never enter the dining room dressed like that nor would my husband.

What about a pair of dockers and a polo shirt??

NO, dockers and polo shirts are NOT appropriate attire in the dining room on a formal night!!!
Old January 1st, 2009, 02:37 PM
Captain

Dockers and polo shirts are okay for CASUAL night.

They are not okay for formal night. I can't think of anyone who would think that is formal attire.

It is inappropriate and not acceptible IMO

Lido is always a choice if you don't care to dress.
Old January 1st, 2009, 09:44 PM
Admiral

Just my humble opinion which is worthless but to me:
Much has been written and said regarding dress on cruise ships and
I guess will continue to be a topic for years to come.

First, I think a little common sense would go far in helping with the problem or question of dress. If one was ashore and wanting to dine in a fine restaurant and it was posted that certain dress was expected in order to eat there, would one then try to " crash " the party in khakis and a pullover ? Probably not. So, why then try it on a ship ?

Carnival, NCL, RCCL and even Princess are more relaxed in what they
" suggest " for evening wear in the dining rooms. I think you will find that in general, people on Celebrity and HAL tend to stick to the suggested dress.

With all respect to the original poster--I don't mean to sound too hard--just trying to point out that on Hal, dockers and pull over won't fly in the dining room on formal night . Go big-- dress up, eat , drink and be the hit of the ball !!