Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 26th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macie
I am cruising solo this Friday Jan 10th and was wondering if anyone else is going on the same cruise to Mexico on the HAL that is also going solo
I am planning a cruise in October 2009 and I am going solo. Can you give sme tips in meeting people on board. I don't need to be attached at the hip to anyone, but to have company at meals or for part of the day touring. I am also thinking of a river cruise on the danube river. Don't know which will be better as a single. Any tips?
Old June 24th, 2009, 10:24 AM
First Mate

Default Oh Really!!!!!

It is always interesting to read the questions and replys. I too am a senior and I am not offended one bit by what one may post. I have been doing cruise reviews for years and I also write , "these are my opinions and yours may not be the same". On Holland America ships there is a more senior crowd than on Carnival. I have probally used extremes. There are very few children on the longer Holland America cruises. Young couples don't have the flexibility that retired people have when it comes to a several week cruise. Children can't be out of school that long (oh I know someone will blast me and tell me about home schooling and that such travel is part of their daughter's education).In more than 30 eyars of cruising I can't recall having witnessed roudy children on a Holland America crusie. Can't say the same for some of the other cruises we have been on. I think Holland America caters to the entire family. Some of their ships have great children's program. About dining---there are just too many options now days aboard most ships that you will be just fine. Have a great cruise!!
Old June 24th, 2009, 10:24 AM
First Mate

Default Oh Really!!!!!

It is always interesting to read the questions and replys. I too am a senior and I am not offended one bit by what one may post. I have been doing cruise reviews for years and I also write , "these are my opinions and yours may not be the same". On Holland America ships there is a more senior crowd than on Carnival. I have probally used extremes. There are very few children on the longer Holland America cruises. Young couples don't have the flexibility that retired people have when it comes to a several week cruise. Children can't be out of school that long (oh I know someone will blast me and tell me about home schooling and that such travel is part of their daughter's education).In more than 30 eyars of cruising I can't recall having witnessed roudy children on a Holland America crusie. Can't say the same for some of the other cruises we have been on. I think Holland America caters to the entire family. Some of their ships have great children's program. About dining---there are just too many options now days aboard most ships that you will be just fine. Have a great cruise!!
Old June 24th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Banned
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Oh Really!!!!!

[quote="billbelt"]It is always interesting to read the questions and replys. /quote]

Too true.

Its always nice to read people's opinions about a particular ship or cruise line.
You write very well, and maybe we will meet some day and share a nice story over a cup of tea and a scone.

Take care
Old August 11th, 2009, 09:15 AM
First Mate

Default Seniors

We got back form a 38 day South America cruise in the spring. The age make up on this cruise was definitey senior yet there were many others on board as well. On a 30 day South Pacific cruise on the Statendam the vast majority were seniors. I didn't find that on either cruise a catering to one specific age.