Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 2nd, 2009, 12:02 PM
Passenger

Default SENIOR CITIZENS ONBOARD

My family and I have been on at least a dozen cruise ships. But we have yet to experience the Holland America line. Going on the basis that the whole theme of the cruise is more for the older crowd and does not cater to younger families. Please give me some input if I am incorrect as we plan to make our decision in the next few weeks.
Sponsored Links
Old January 2nd, 2009, 02:47 PM
Captain

If you are talking about a 7 day Caribbean cruise, the demographic will be the same as for Celebrity and Princess etc

If you are talking about a 64 day cruise...... you will see many older people. Who else has that amount of time to cruise. Sure some younger people can break away for that long, but the majority of guests will be older people.

If you do not think you an enjoy being with well traveled, intelligent, funny, fun loving, experienced conversationalists (many of whom can dance younger folk under the table), then you should consider cruising on Disney, RCI or whichever other line appeals IMO
Old January 2nd, 2009, 09:55 PM
Beginner

I am in my eary 70's and travel solo, yet have the best time on Holland American ships. I sail about twice a year either on the 7 or 10 day cruises. I was on a 10-day to the Caribbean last month and just signed up today for my 9th cruise with HAL for a 10 day to the Mexican Riviera in early April. You will find all ages on the cruises from hip hop to hip replacement.
Old January 3rd, 2009, 12:29 PM
First Mate

We recently returned from 7 days on the Westerdam. There were a lot more younger people than I expected. We didn't mind it, but I thought the entertainment was lacking, especially for younger folks. There weren't as many venues as on some of the other cruiselines we've been on, and we didn't care much for the entertainers on this particular cruise. If I was bringing kids, I'd pick Princess or NCL over Holland. I think they'd be more to keep them entertained.
Old January 4th, 2009, 11:00 PM
Passenger

I am cruising solo this Friday Jan 10th and was wondering if anyone else is going on the same cruise to Mexico on the HAL that is also going solo
Old January 7th, 2009, 09:10 AM
First Mate

We went on the Nov 29 Westerdam and my husband thought it was like being at a nursing home. Whatever. I miss the younger lines. We aren't old yet, even though that is a goal, and I found the demographics very, very old.
Old January 7th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Cruise Maniac

I am 40 and taking the Panama Canal Cruise on the Statendam (14days) ... I will let you know how the demographic is... I have seen the teen area on the Westerdam and it was spectacular!
Old January 7th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Admiral

We are going on the Westerdam this Sunday and have a Meet and Greet group of 50 ppl from another message board. They range in ages but most are younger than DH and I and we are only mid-50's!! I will let you know when I return.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old January 7th, 2009, 12:51 PM
First Mate

what's wrong with seniors? i'm 65 and i love to cruise. i like hal, or used to, because of the wonderful mix of people 30's to 90's who made my cruise very interesting. even for youngsters, there is a lot to be learned from us oldies -- we were young not too long ago. and most of us love well-mannered kids and teens; i learn a lot from them, too. trouble is, hal can't really have it both ways, though they have been trying.
they now give price breaks to families with kids and soak us fixed-income types whenever they can. my predictions for hal aren't good -- they can't compete with carnival, rci, or ncl. their newer ships are cramped and poorly laid out, and they don't attract families or, increasingly, their clientele of older folks. sad
Old January 11th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Admiral

Default Re: SENIOR CITIZENS ONBOARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEN
My family and I have been on at least a dozen cruise ships. But we have yet to experience the Holland America line. Going on the basis that the whole theme of the cruise is more for the older crowd and does not cater to younger families. Please give me some input if I am incorrect as we plan to make our decision in the next few weeks.
Without reading other responses, I will give you my views on HAL and the age group. Yes, you will see young families even on the 10 day and longer cruises, but the average of the HAL cruiser is about 6 years older than any other line. That may not sound like a lot, but "average" is the clue. We love HAL, the service, the crew and the cabins. What we did not like, was the age breakdown, I might add, last time we cruised we were in our late 60s and glad we were with friends.

I am not trying to discourage you from choosing the line as it is a wonderful experience, but just don't expect lots of 30 somethings or mcuh activity after about 10pm and do expect to see people up, out and about by 7am.

I would not go as far as Hombre has gone, but I do wish HAL woudl stick with traditonal cruising, the type that made them successful. Yes, all lines are trying to attract the younger cruiser, but my thought on this, the 40 something cruiser today, will be the senior before you know it and maybe will want a cruise line geared more to them.

Nita
Old January 11th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

It depends on the ship and length of cruise. the smaller/older ships tend to do 10-day cruises, They will get older passengers and afr fewer kids.

7-day cruises on the R-class and and newer ships will get plenty of younger people. HAL will never be Carnival or NCL, but I still love their cruises because the food & service are outstanding, the crews are very well trained and not over-bearing, and they have beautiful cabins and rarely encounter any problems.

Just relax and enjoy the ship and the ports.

HALs private island is outstanding as well, with sting rays, horseback riding, snorkel & scuba diving.
Old January 12th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter
It depends on the ship and length of cruise. the smaller/older ships tend to do 10-day cruises, They will get older passengers and afr fewer kids.

7-day cruises on the R-class and and newer ships will get plenty of younger people. HAL will never be Carnival or NCL, but I still love their cruises because the food & service are outstanding, the crews are very well trained and not over-bearing, and they have beautiful cabins and rarely encounter any problems.

Just relax and enjoy the ship and the ports.

HALs private island is outstanding as well, with sting rays, horseback riding, snorkel & scuba diving.
Pau., we had wanted to do the private island on both our HAL cruises and both times the weater interferred. The last one, they did have the tenders in the morning but by the time we decided to venture over they called everyone back. Hopefully next time we will get lucky.

NIta
Old January 12th, 2009, 02:42 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Deen,
First thing I would do is hop over the 'Net to the HAL site and check out the info on all the non adult programs. Yes, it is PR, but it is a statement about what is available. Since you and your family are experienced cruisers you should be able to divine the facts from the website.
You don't state the demographics of your children, but from experience I can tell you that the HAL Teens and under program(s) are well run. The truth of the "over fed, newlywed and nearly dead" does not apply to the so called short cruises, 7 - 10 days, on the Vista class ships, ie Noordam, Osterdam, Westerdam and Zuiderdam. On longer voyages there is an older demographic. As for your age group, again you didn't specify, as experienced cruisers I think you will find HAL a "refined, fun cruise ship". Whatever your decision, enjoy your cruise and keep asking questions!
Old January 12th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Thanks NamVet -well put.
Old January 13th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Cruiser
We are going on the Westerdam this Sunday and have a Meet and Greet group of 50 ppl from another message board. They range in ages but most are younger than DH and I and we are only mid-50's!! I will let you know when I return.
It's the standard rule for cruise ships ... the shorter the cruise, the younger the age demographic.

Even on my 35-day cruise on the Statendam last year ... we had quite a few people younger than me on that sailing (I'm 53). Yes, there were some very old ones as well ... old in age, but young at heart.

As long as the passengers are friendly, I personally could care less about their chronological age. In fact, I've found many of the older passengers to be among the most interesting. They are generally very well traveled, and if you sit and talk with them, you'd find that they do have some absolutely amazing stories to tell!

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old January 23rd, 2009, 11:00 PM
Admiral

Default Seniors

On one of our first cruises 20 years ago we sat at a table with very elderly people..As it turns out one of the couples was the hit of the ship singing to his darling wife.. We are now in our 70's..and thinking about a H/A only because of the itinerary..Talk to us seniors.. we have been to Macchu Picchu when it opened, spent weeks in Colombia, traveled exensively.. Neither Parrot Pop or I like to hang around with old people... One day in the D.R. a young couple said to us.. "we want to be like you when we get older"..lol..lol.. Age is a state of mind...unfortunately the body tells you when your old. We are heading to the Amazon in April... Talk to us.. you might learn something.. we don't like "old" people.. and you can be old at 50 or 60.. but some seniors are a blast
Old January 25th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Seniors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot Mom
On one of our first cruises 20 years ago we sat at a table with very elderly people..As it turns out one of the couples was the hit of the ship singing to his darling wife.. We are now in our 70's..and thinking about a H/A only because of the itinerary..Talk to us seniors.. we have been to Macchu Picchu when it opened, spent weeks in Colombia, traveled exensively.. Neither Parrot Pop or I like to hang around with old people... One day in the D.R. a young couple said to us.. "we want to be like you when we get older"..lol..lol.. Age is a state of mind...unfortunately the body tells you when your old. We are heading to the Amazon in April... Talk to us.. you might learn something.. we don't like "old" people.. and you can be old at 50 or 60.. but some seniors are a blast
boy is that true and one of our daughters best friends, a couple she and hubby have known for years say the same: we want to be just like you..it is a good feeling..

NIta
Old February 2nd, 2009, 10:19 PM
Beginner

It is an older group but there are also children on board. I find it more laid back which since I am retired works for me. I do find that the children on HAL seem to be better supervised by their parents and they also sem to have better manners - maybe it is the expectations. I also think that the age of your children could be a factor. We met a young lady who has been traveling on HAL for over 10 years loves it and she in just 21 and would not travel on any other line anymore.

We travel while most kids are in school so I have not noticed many kids and one of our cruises was in Europe during the school year so there were less children there too. All of this being said - I would take my young gkids on HAl with me and I think they would enoy it but if they are high mainainence and expecting climbing walls then you may want to check out some alternatives. Good luck and hpe my opinion gives some insight.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 01:33 PM
First Mate

could some address the question, 'but where are we to go?' i am single and 65, have taken 20 cruises on hal. if we are invaded by the 'carnival crowd,' where will we go? i can't afford the luxury lines like seabourne, or crystal, or whatever. i guess, the time of no cruising is coming fast for me. alas. already on hal, the 'carnival crowd' is there; rude, pushy, and just plain crass. taking over the buffets and causing a mess; pushing tables together on the lido to create their own section, usurping deck chairs, and letting kids into adult whirlpools.
where shall we go, where shall we go??
Old February 3rd, 2009, 02:01 PM
Admiral

We too found the kids on HAL better behaved than on other lines although there were not many of them. 1/2 of me says, keep this one line geared to the more mature and seasoned crowd so we can have a place we feel we belong, the other 1/2 says "I understand" like all businesses the cruis industry is going to market itself to the gorup that will spend the money and return. Sure seniors can spend the money, but how many years more will we be able to return? The 40 somethings have 30 or 40 more years to cruise, we have maybe 10 or 15. Of course I am generalizing.

And Hombre, at 65 you are just beginning your days of cruising, don't get discouraged. The winter cruises and the longer ones on HAL will still have their share of us seasoned travelers...

Nita
Old February 3rd, 2009, 02:13 PM
First Mate

thanks, mnita, i needed that. it is just that in the last three years, i have seen such lack of manners and related 'stuff' on hal. it may have been that before i just didn't notice. i don't want to be an old stuffy, believe me, but it seems that respect should work both ways. oh, well, enough. thank you for your kind reply.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 09:37 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita
Quote:
Without reading other responses, I will give you my views on HAL and the age group. Yes, you will see young families even on the 10 day and longer cruises, but the average of the HAL cruiser is about 6 years older than any other line. That may not sound like a lot, but "average" is the clue. We love HAL, the service, the crew and the cabins. What we did not like, was the age breakdown, I might add, last time we cruised we were in our late 60s and glad we were with friends.
........ snip
Just curious......

Why do you not read the responses to OP before posting your comments? I wonder why we read yours if you don't care to read ours. Sorry, but I always wonder when I read a poster doesn't bother reading what anyone else has to say.
Old February 4th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail7seas
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita
Quote:
........ snip
Just curious......

Why do you not read the responses to OP before posting your comments? I wonder why we read yours if you don't care to read ours. Sorry, but I always wonder when I read a poster doesn't bother reading what anyone else has to say.
wow, I guess I hit a sore spot with you, I am sorry. I do have a good reason (and sometimes I do read all the responses) the reason I often do ot is, so I won't be inflenced by others. I would rather give my opinions before I see how others have anwered? Does that make any sese to you? I didn't mean to get you so upset...of maybe I am taking your question wrong?

I will add, I always read the responses after I have posted mine or most of the time I do..

Nita
Old February 5th, 2009, 08:30 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Don't be at all concerned. HAL caters to all age groups, most especially young children, on their shorter cruises.

HAL has long been known as an "elegant" cruise line, noted for its higher than average level of service onboard. That's why the older folks tend to flock to HAL for their cruises. However, on a seven-day Caribbean or Alaska itinerary, you're gonna get lots of younger folks too ... and in school vacation periods many of them will have their children onboard too.

HAL has been trying to reinvent themselves over the last several years by specifically marketing to the family cruisiers. I guess HAL is concerned that their traditional customer base is getting older and older, and perhaps nearing the end of their cruising life. So, to stay competitive in today's marketplace, they are adding lots of amenities for children (such as Club HAL improvements, the Oasis, etc.) and venues that will be especially pleasing to the younger cruiser (Northern Lights Disco, neat new bar and lounge venues, etc.).

True, you will get lots and lots of older people on the longer HAL cruises, but I think you will get pretty much that level of older cruisers on any line sailing those longer itineraries. But don't be too hesitant to sail with these older folks, because I've personally found them to be among the most interesting passengers onboard, with lots and lots of great travel stories to tell.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old February 5th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Captain

[/quote]wow, I guess I hit a sore spot with you, I am sorry. I do have a good reason (and sometimes I do read all the responses) the reason I often do ot is, so I won't be inflenced by others. I would rather give my opinions before I see how others have anwered? Does that make any sese to you? I didn't mean to get you so upset...of maybe I am taking your question wrong?

I will add, I always read the responses after I have posted mine or most of the time I do..

Nita [/quote]

deleted my response......

Old February 5th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryos
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Cruiser
It's the standard rule for cruise ships ... the shorter the cruise, the younger the age demographic.

Even on my 35-day cruise on the Statendam last year ... we had quite a few people younger than me on that sailing (I'm 53). Yes, there were some very old ones as well ... old in age, but young at heart.

As long as the passengers are friendly, I personally could care less about their chronological age. In fact, I've found many of the older passengers to be among the most interesting. They are generally very well traveled, and if you sit and talk with them, you'd find that they do have some absolutely amazing stories to tell!

Blue skies ...

--rita
"They are generally very well traveled, and if you sit and talk with them, you'd find that they do have some absolutely amazing stories to tell!"

Rita no truer words were ever spoken. Our first cruise was in 1985 and we went to the Western Caribbean, we sat with older folks and learned sooooo much. Each cruise we try to sit and talk to someone with expreiences to savor. Now we are the old folks and you know what the younger set come and sit and talk with us and we share with them

Kathy
Old March 16th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Passenger

When our children were young we took them on HAL for Caribbean cruises during holidays and breaks and found there to be a good mix of all ages. Then we took a 12 day Meditterean cruise on the Prisendam in October and what a difference. I still refer to it as the "Cruise of the Ancient Mariners". I swear half the people didn't even get off the ship. Guess it was too difficult with all those walkers, wheelchairs and oxygen machines. Oh and my DH and I were in our late 0's when we did that cruise.
Old March 19th, 2009, 09:31 PM
First Mate

We sailed on the Zuiderdam with teen boys and we had a wonderful cruise. This was at the end of July and it was full of families.
If you go outside the school vacation times the demographic will change,but that applies to all the cruiselines.
It wasn't until we got back that I read more about HAL to find everyone said the ships were full of old people! Glad I didn't read that before we went.
Old April 8th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
WOW what a fun post to read, It's true! It's true! So much wisdom posted here. I'am 62 and and been cruising since Apr 1970, so I have been at it for a number of years now. I must admit that I am a big HAL Fan and have done my share on the other lines as well, even some that are no longer around including a number of ships! Some how, I have managed to stay with it. Keep up the great postings to this thread. I'll be back to check in a few days to check.
Old April 9th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Beginner

I think that the longer the cruise, the more chance you have of finding older passengers. On 7 days, especially in Alaska, you will find many families. Club HAL offers some nice entertainment for the children.