Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 2nd, 2009, 01:51 PM
Passenger

Default Westerdam for Eastern Caribbean Feedback

We are a couple in their 30s with a nearly 4 year old daughter and my parents who are in their mid 50s. We will be cruising the Eastern Caribbean on the Westerdam at the end of March. Just looking for any and all feedback of experiences on this cruise ship and itinerary. Anything from the food, service, excursions, cleanliness, entertainment, and all other items. Even any hidden secrets of how to make this cruise memorable Thank you for all who help out.
Sponsored Links
Old January 2nd, 2009, 07:02 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

We sailed the Westerdam in 07, and I loved the ship. Not sure a 4 yr old will love it as much. Though they'd have lots of grandparents fawning over them they're not going to find a great kids program.... nor many other kids to play with.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 08:42 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Westerdam for Eastern Caribbean Feedback

Check first day for the HAL Club for the kiddo. Also, videos can be rented aboard. HFC has a kiddo's water park, glass bottom boat and nice beach. Grand Turk has a nice assortment of smaller fish in the water near the pier in front of Margaritaville and a nice beach. *Plastic sand pail and small bucket not a bad idea to pack.* Grand Cayman has the Turtle Farm and a post office in town for colorful GC stamps. Cozumel has some beaches you can go to.

Suggest early seating with kiddo, and probably having her dine from the kiddo menu. At that age something to do at the table may be needed - drawing material or small book. Grab your emergency supply of Graham crackers from the Lido. The ice cream area in the Lido should be a hit. Also Goldfish seem to be absent the ships of late - bring a stash if needed.

Your kiddo should enjoy the critters in the FLL airport aquariums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck and Saori
We are a couple in their 30s with a nearly 4 year old daughter and my parents who are in their mid 50s. We will be cruising the Eastern Caribbean on the Westerdam at the end of March. Just looking for any and all feedback of experiences on this cruise ship and itinerary. Anything from the food, service, excursions, cleanliness, entertainment, and all other items. Even any hidden secrets of how to make this cruise memorable Thank you for all who help out.
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old January 13th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Passenger

Anyone else have any feedback for us? Just looking for any and all information that may be useful.
Old January 13th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Passenger

I almost booked this cruise for our family, sailing back to back both the eastern & western itineraries. But we decided on the Maasdam for March 27 - April 10. I disagree with Kuki on this cruise, I think their might be more children aboard because it is so close to spring break. I'm hoping HAL will ramp up it's children's program if there are more children aboard. We are sailing with a 12 & 5 year old.

We did the turtle farm when our son was 5 and he liked it very much. This is a short tour so we stopped at 7 mile beach on the way back for the afternoon, a nice place to swim & relax. We also did the stingray adventure with a private tour company and loved it, but it might be too much for a 4 year old because the water would be over her head and you would have to hold her for the entire excursion.

Hope you have a great time

Jenne

Free Cruise Clocks
Old January 13th, 2009, 01:07 PM
First Mate

We were on the ship the week of Nov. 30th. I think, if you can, the Pinnacle Grill is fantastic. The meals were very good elsewhere, as well.
I'd go to the beaches everywhere. Grand Turk is great for little ones, too.
The Turtle Farm is ok for kids but I found it boring. Get to the barbeque early, say around 11:30 to beat the crowds. The service on board is great; I'm sure the staff will bring you anything you desire. No need to pack shampoo and conditoner either. They have the best!!! Elemis. Have a great time, bring enough sunscreen. The choices on board are limited. You can bring as much wine as you want, too. That's a real bonus.
Old February 16th, 2009, 06:44 PM
Passenger

Default Love the Westerdam

8) You and your parents are going to love the ship. The piano bar was fun every evening. It was my first HAL experience, and I have booked another aboard the Eurodam for April 11th. There is a book/video library for checking out items. I hope you enjoy as much as I did.
Old February 17th, 2009, 12:28 AM
Passenger

The Westerdam is a very classy ship and the food was really good when we went, but I think the service on HAL is what really stands out. I would love to travel on Holland more if they stayed in the Caribbean longer each season. The Eastern itinerary you picked will be a good one for all of you. The great thing about Holland ships is the passenger to crew ratio, it never feels crowded and you really never have to wait in line for very long for whatever you want.