Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 6th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Beginner

Default Alaskan Cruise on Amsterdam with a 3 and 4 year old?

I am considering taking an Alaskan cruise on June 6 with a 3 year and 4 year old on Holland America on the Amsterdam. does anyone have any insight or experience as to how suited this cruise is for children of this age? what about the hours and programing for young children in Club HAL? I spoke to a Holland America representative today, and she told me that the hours of Club HAL are dependant on the number of children on the cruise, but whe was unable to tell me how many children in this age group (historically or currently) typically go on the Alaskan cruise in June. If Club HAL is open, is their programing for 3 and 4 year olds worthwhile? do the care providers really engage the children, or is it more just a room where the children are left to their own devices? I saw that there is one pool on the ship - is it really warm enough to swim while in Alaska? Is the pool heated? Do they allow children? Is the pool filled with fresh water or salt water? Also, can anyone tell me what might be some good excursions for a 3 and 4 year old? We will be going to Sitka, Ketchikan, and Juneau. Finally, does the ship have babysitters that will come to your room if the parents want to go out after the kids go to sleep? Thanks so much! I appreciate any insight and information anyone can give me! [/b]
Sponsored Links
Old January 20th, 2009, 02:07 AM
Beginner

*Your cruise on the Amsterdam this summer should be really fun for your kiddos. The Club HAL program provides a variety of fun and engaging avtivities for the kids that participate. They will play games, do crafts, play outside on the sports court and go to the Lido for ice cream, and in Glacier Bay they will go Glacier viewing with their counselors just to name a few of the activities. Each night there is a theme night. For the 3-7 year olds, they will have camp night, country carnival, cosmic cruisers and spy night among others. Typically for an Alaska cruise at the end of June there are anywhere between 100-300 kids. On the Amsterdam, which is a smaller ship, you can usually expect anywhere from 20-50 kids between the ages of 3-7. The "paint bucket room" as it is called is a little small but very fun. On sea days the program is always open 9-11:30 am; 1-4 pm and 7-10 in the evenings. Port day hours vary by ship so check the program outlining the activities that will be delivered to your room each evening from Club HAL. Private, in room babysitting is available through the front office on a limited basis. Check with them early. They usually don't offer this service while in port.
**There are two pools onboard. The lido mid ship pool (with the bears) is known as the "family pool" and is covered and heated. The aft pool is typically an "adult only" pool and is also heated but is outside.
**In Juneau it is fun to take the kids on the Mt. Roberts Tram to see Spirit the Bald Eagle or go gold panning. There is also a very nice public library.
In Sitka there is a small aquarium with a touch tank and a totem pole park.
In Ketchikan there is the not to be missed Lumberjack show that kids always love.
I hope this information is helpful and that you take advantage of all Club HAL has to offer. It will give Mom and Dad a little time to enjoy adult activies such as a little wine tasting or a relaxing massage in the spa knowing that your kids are having a blast with all of their new friends.
Have a great time!