Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 9th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Passenger

Default Is 9 a.m. flight too early for Port Everglades??

We are booked on the Maasdam returning to Port Everglades on 4/10. It seems like the port & the airport are fairly close would it be possible to make a 9 a.m. flight?

Any hotel suggestions in Fort Lauderdale? We are just looking for something close to the airport & port, preferable with free shuttle to both.

Free Cruise Clocks
Sponsored Links
Old January 9th, 2009, 11:05 AM
Admiral

No you cannot make a 9 am flight! The ship docks around 6am and if and only if they clear customs can anyone get off. Sometimes they start debarkation at 7am and sometimes they don't start until 8:30am. Also, there are usually 4 or more ships debarking at the same time going to the same airport. It can be crowded. The cruise brochures, website, pamphlets, info, etc all state not to book a flight earlier than noon.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old January 9th, 2009, 01:23 PM
First Mate

this is good advice; no flights before noon. believe me, you can be late disembarking, and that airport, with several batches of cruisers leaving, can be a real 'ride.' even at noon, i've sometimes been forced to hustle along.
Old January 9th, 2009, 05:14 PM
First Mate

We were at Port Everglades in December. There were 10 cruise ships in at the time. Getting to the airport by 9AM would be very unusual. We have been at this port several times and try to book our flights around noon time, however if you get off the ship early , get a cab quickly, you can still make a 10:30 or 11:00AM flight.
Old January 9th, 2009, 08:59 PM
Captain

IMO, it is out of the question to even consider booking a 9 A.M. flight. Crazy!

The airport is only ten minutes from the dock but you have no way of knowing what time you will be able to leave the ship, how long the security lines could be at the airport, if you would arrive early enough to be able to check your suitcases........

Please find a later flight.
Old January 11th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Admiral

We always not to book a flight before noon, but sometimes 11am will work. No one will say you can not be there by 9am, chances are almost impossible, Remember you have to get to the airport at least 1/2 hour, closer to an hour before flight time, the Ft Lauderdale airport was never designed for several cruise ship passengers to depart the same day and regardless of the time the ship gets to Ft Lauderdale, it has to be cleared.

Nita
Old January 11th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I would say 11:00 would work since preferred disemberkment usually walks off at 7:15.

The problem these days is unpredictability. In the old days everyone just walked off the shiop. Today everyone goes through immigration and customs just like at an airport.

It has slowed things down a lot. I have seen ships where no one got off until 8:20. Considering you need time at the airport to check in and find your gate I wouldn't chance it.
Old January 11th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Wow, 9 am.....NO!...once while waiting to board a ship, they had custom issues and we did not board till after noon....If you cannot get a flight till the afternoon, look into what excursions the ship offers to while away the time.

With so many ships porting, and, the long security lines, noon is preferable, though I have made 11-11:30 flights, but that was a few yrs back.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 12th, 2009, 08:08 AM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Dannyboy
Default Airline requirements.

First) Before you ever book a flight, check the requirements with check-in, Every airport and airlines has minumum requirements.
The airlines will resale your seats @ the first chance they get, if you do not meet the (Min.) check in times at both the main terminal and boarding gate, NO EXCEPTIONS.

Second) if you do not have your bags checked in before the AIRLINES posted requirement, it will be on another plain, it will be your problem.

Third)
Your from WISCONSON a snow bound airport in the winter, chances are delays on any layover, I need not say more.

Forth) Sign up for walk off disembarktion, this means you carry your bags off the ship in the first group thur Immigration and customs.

Fifth) Avoid the Van's at the Port, they will wait until full and if your at terminal 2,3 or 4, you will wait until passengers get off on 1,2 3, and 4th is last. use a taxi only.

Cheers
Old January 12th, 2009, 08:22 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Dannyboy....

Avoid snow bound airports in the winter, I need not say more.
For myself, and millions more, avoiding a snow bound airport is pretty hard to do...Now what?

Sign up for walk off disembarktion, this means you carry your bags off the ship in the first group thru Immigration and customs.

Easy to say if maybe you are: a single, have packed light, maybe have two suitcases, and/or are not elderly, or have health issues.

For some cruisers, things are not so cut and dry, and don't have the luxury of flying in a day before. Hopefully, everything will work out fine, with individual planning

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 12th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Captain

Where's our OP?

We've all been posting all these reponses and haven't heard from Jenne.

Hope she came back to see if she got responses.
Old January 13th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Passenger

Hey Everybody,

Thanks for the great responses. I'm having a hard time finding a flight out in the afternoon (that doesn't cost an arm & a leg). I even looked at staying over to saturday, but it didn't make a difference in the airfare price. We've sailed from Miami, Tampa, and Sydney and have never had a problem getting to the airport from the cruise ship by 9 - 10 a.m & I've never done the carry your own bags off the ship either, but I was sure considering it to make it to the airport at 9 a.m.

We had a funny thing happen when we sailed out of Miami in 2007 on the Explorer of the Seas, we hired a porter to grab out bags & take them to a taxi all but one of the five made it through. We kept waiting and waiting, but it was not showing up on the carousel. Our porter actually took it upon himself to go in back and find it in baggage handling, he came out with my bag!! It was money well spent, who knows how long we would have been standing there.

With the number of ships in port everglades I think I will keep working on an afternoon flight.

NOw, what about those hotels!!!!

Jenne

Free Cruise Clocks
Old January 13th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Is 9 a.m. flight too early for Port Everglades??

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenne
We are booked on the Maasdam returning to Port Everglades on 4/10. It seems like the port & the airport are fairly close would it be possible to make a 9 a.m. flight?
You very well may not even get off the ship before 9:00 a.m. Just let one passenger not report to the front desk to settle his bill and the whole disembarkation process will be held up. Also, you will have to wait in a taxi line behind other passengers. You probably won't even get to the airport before 9:00, let alone make the flight.

I had something like an 11:30 flight in San Diego last October. I didn't get to the airport until close to 10:30. I had to check my luggage and then get through security, and I only arrived at my gate with ten minutes to spare. You can actually SEE the San Diego Airport from the cruise terminal. It is that close.

So, no ... don't chance it. 9:00 a.m. is way too early to make a flight after disembarkation.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old January 14th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Is 9 a.m. flight too early for Port Everglades??

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenne
You very well may not even get off the ship before 9:00 a.m. Just let one passenger not report to the front desk to settle his bill and the whole disembarkation process will be held up. Also, you will have to wait in a taxi line behind other passengers. You probably won't even get to the airport before 9:00, let alone make the flight.

I had something like an 11:30 flight in San Diego last October. I didn't get to the airport until close to 10:30. I had to check my luggage and then get through security, and I only arrived at my gate with ten minutes to spare. You can actually SEE the San Diego Airport from the cruise terminal. It is that close.

So, no ... don't chance it. 9:00 a.m. is way too early to make a flight after disembarkation.

Blue skies ...

--rita
We had a flight out of LAX a couple of years ago at 1pm and barely made it..Bad debarkation and busy airport...

Nita
Old January 15th, 2009, 07:58 AM
Passenger

I'm curious, Rita. When you disembarked the Hawaii - South Seas cruise (LOVED your postings, thank you for that wonderful commentary), did you taxi to the airport in San Diego or take the transfer from Holland America.

We are on an 11:38am flight returning to NYC from San Diego after the Hawaii Cruise from 2/20-3/7 on the Zaandam, and your comment made me very nervous. We know we are cutting it a little tight, but we are trying to avoid the red-eye back to the east coast and the endless, all-day wait at the airport for an evening flight.

Thanks!