Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 10th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Passenger

Default Zuiderdam stateroom question

I have a relative that will be cruising on the Zuiderdam soon. He booked through a TA and upon their advice did a guaranteed balcony room. He just received his stateroom assignment and it is a "VH" room. It looks as though there are only 4 on the ship and they are in the aft section on the Upper Promenade deck. Does anyone know anything about these rooms? The balcony looks smaller from the deck plan drawing. How about the view? There isn't a description on the HAL website. Any info would be helpful. thanks!
Old January 11th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

It looks to me like they are all the way FORWARD - not aft.

http://book.hollandamerica.com/fleet...k=up&year=next

The stateroom looks the same size but the balcony seems a bit smaller but not much. It 'may' have something of a steel windbreak to keep the wind down.

The biggest thing is that rooms that far forward aften tend to pitch in bad weather. Other than that, I don't really see much difference about it.

Just hope the weather is all good or that no one is the least bit prone to seas-sickness.
Old January 11th, 2009, 07:25 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Paul was right when he said he hopes no one is prone to sea sickness. A call to the ta, might be worth their while if this is an issue, to see if there is the possiblity of changing the cabin.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 11th, 2009, 08:22 PM
Passenger

Unfortunately the cruise is sold out so not sure how much luck they will have. Was surprised they didn't get a better room as they have sailed with HAL on numerous occasions. Will pass along the advice though. Thanks.
Old January 17th, 2009, 01:38 PM
Beginner

Default VH VF etc

I never quite understood the difference between these catagories.... I am sure there are differences, but what? I would like to know...

We did a guarenteed cabin - a vf on 5th deck, Zuider. We too like being aft and near elevators... handy. it's our 6th cruise, first with HAL.
Old January 17th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Admiral

The 4 VH cabins at the bow of the ship only have 2 lower beds (no sofa bed) and a shower (no bathtub)

The VF on deck 5 will over look the lifeboats.
Old January 17th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Beginner

I think we are okay -as far as life boats go. I know we have a couch that converts to a single bed..... 7th cabin forward of the aft elevators. I just wondered how the catagories go. Thanks.
Old January 19th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Cruise Maniac

I just went into about 15 sail dates for the Zuiderdam between Feb09 and Feb 2010 and that category is waitlisted on every single one which leads me to believe that they do not actually sell that category...

My advice would be to have your friends call their T/A and get waitlisted for a VF if the price difference isn't too much...

BTW, I have never taken a booking on HAL in a Balcony guarantee... you always need to choose a cabin category with HAL but you may be a guarantee in that category which means that is the lowest category you can be put into (unlike on other lines where they sell a balcony guarantee without any category)

I ALWAYS warn clients that if they are in a guarantee they may not always be upgraded so they must be ok with the category they are booked in... in this case, the T/A booked them into a VH guarantee and that is what they got.

Doesn't it suck when you get what you pay for???? lol
Old September 10th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Admiral

Default Re: VH VF etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckfodor
I never quite understood the difference between these catagories.... I am sure there are differences, but what? I would like to know...

We did a guaranteed cabin - a vf on 5th deck, Zuider. We too like being aft and near elevators... handy. it's our 6th cruise, first with HAL.
Hey, I know this is an old thread- but-

We also booked a guarantee of a VF on deck 5-I am happy with that-not bothered by life boats-but I did not want a steel balcony as this category has on deck 4-I had one poster on CC insist there was no way we could specify the deck in a category-but my online agency did differentiate-and so we went with the guarantee on deck 5.

What did you end up with? I don't mind if we are not upgraded- we always book a guarantee with the least we would be happy with- just curious if I will get something up a deck or 2.