Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 20th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Beginner

Default first time cruiser sailing on Zaandam feb 5 Hawaii

My sister and I are first time cruisiers in our late 20's and really excited about this trip. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on shore excursion for two highly active adults or activites on board.
Sponsored Links
Old January 21st, 2009, 02:42 PM
First Mate

well, i've done this cruise twice. if the two of you want a 'fun' ship with round the clock activity, you chose the wrong one. if you like languishing by the pool, this is for you. there are at least nine sea days on this cruise; and some, though not myself, get 'antsy.' but, i am 65 not 25. there seem to be some hi-energy tours; see your tour guide book issued with your documents. can't comment on these. on board, not a lot of 'carnival-related' stuff. just chill out. most of the passengers on this cruise will probably be my age or slightly older or slightly younger. we sleep at night, usually. sure you didn't book the wrong cruise???
Old January 21st, 2009, 02:46 PM
First Mate

on an upside, don't expect children or couples with babies. very few if any teens. usually, civil, low-key, and retiring -- and i DO mean retiring. others who disagree, please respond.
Old January 21st, 2009, 03:16 PM
Beginner

hombre--
Thank you for your comments. I looked into the carnival and other cruise lines and they sound like they were to party/entertainment oriented for us. My sister and I chose this cruise specifically because we don't need or want round the clock entertainment and both of us have high stress jobs (that include caring for high energy children) and are looking for some R/R. We both love to read/swim in our down time and love physical activity (such has hiking, running, exercising). We tend to enjoy the company / conversation of more mature adults than our own peers. All that to say we are confident that this cruise will be enjoyable. We are just wanting to make the right choices for excursions...and also wanting to know if there are any activities on board such as trivia, sports etc....
Old January 21st, 2009, 03:29 PM
First Mate

yes, there are lots of diversions onboard; now that you explain your situation, i think hal is right for you. there is trivia, lectures, cooking demos, etc., that i am sure you would enjoy. hope i didn't seem too hars; it is just that hal is right for those who are right for it. enjoy; i certainly did.
Old January 21st, 2009, 03:38 PM
Beginner

You were not too harsh. I should have elaborated more on us specifically other than saying we were "late 20's". I can understand why you thought we wouldn't enjoy this cruise line. Thank you for your comments
Old January 23rd, 2009, 01:29 PM
Beginner

You will be fine in your 20's. The crowd will definitely be older but you will have a good time. The cruisecritic.com group is meeting for a WAVE on the front of the ship on the day we depart San Diego. The details are on the web site board for the Zaandam. Sign up same as here and join us!
Old January 25th, 2009, 05:35 PM
First Mate

We sailed Zaandam last April to Hawaii. Loved, loved, loved this cruise.

This was our second cruise to Hawaii, and we have another booked for 2010.

Zaandam is a wonderful ship, and HAL's crew is exceptional. The food is fantastic. If you want relaxing sea days, pampering, and informative speakers, this is the cruise for you.

I would recommend Volcanoes National Park (VNP)and the Arizona Memorial. Our other excursions were not high activity, but we enjoyed all of them.

Book your tours online before you go. They sell out fast.

Just enjoy, and have a good time !

Pat

RCL Radiance
CCL Splendor
HAL Zaandam
CCL Elation
CCL Spirit
HAL Statendam 2x
HAL Ryndam 2x