CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Holland America (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/holland-america/)
-   -   Bringing soft drinks on board (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/holland-america/360512-bringing-soft-drinks-board.html)

mom2jax January 21st, 2009 07:49 PM

Bringing soft drinks on board

Do people really do this? And keep them in the mini fridge?

CA Cruiser January 21st, 2009 07:59 PM

We just did last week on the Westerdam. We picked up an 8 pack at the Publix by our hotel, Embassy Suites and put it and the 4 waters from the hotel in our carry on. They were nice and cold all week for our lunches and the shows.

sail7seas January 21st, 2009 08:42 PM

Don't feel you have to bring soda or water.
HAL has both on board available for purchase.

Chuck and Saori January 22nd, 2009 06:38 AM

Does this mean that if you wanted to you can bring pop and water on board? Or is it that you just did not get caught sneaking it on board? I know you can bring wine on board but I did not know that pop is allowed.

sail7seas January 22nd, 2009 10:19 AM

HAL allows guests to bring soda and water aboard.

CA Cruiser January 22nd, 2009 08:11 PM

Yes HAL has both available for purchase but we prefer Pepsi over Coke products. The hotel gave us the water for free so we brought it along. We were not "sneaking" the soda/water on board. It was in our carry-on which goes thru the xray machine upon check in. Others bought soda in port and brought it on, no questions asked. A soda or water purchased on board is $2 and can add up. We drank a lot of ice tea also.

Hollyday January 23rd, 2009 11:30 PM

Hello all,

Here is a link for what you can and can't bring on a HAL ship.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise...oard%20Policie s&contentSubMenu=Bringing%20Alcoholic%20Beverage s% 20Onboard

Bringing Alcoholic Beverages Onboard

Except for wine and champagne, alcoholic beverages purchased in the vessel's shops or otherwise brought on the ship[/color] cannot be consumed on the ship. Bottles and other containers will be collected for safekeeping and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the voyage.

A corkage fee of US$15.00 applies to wine and champagne brought to the restaurants or bars for consumption.

Room Service offers reduced-price stateroom beverage packages for in-stateroom consumption of alcoholic beverages.

We will have the steward clear out in the in-room frig and will be taking our own soda/pop and water. We take the "On the Go" packs of Crystal Lite (or store brand) and bottled water. If you are not familiar with them they are small boxes of individual packs of drink powder that are perfect for a flavoring bottled water. You can find them in the Kool-Aid isle. They come 10 to 12 per box, are easy to carry in a purse or pocket, lots of flavors, and either very low calories (1-10) or no calories at all.

TravelAddiction January 25th, 2009 03:23 AM

We brought a 12 pack of gingerale(I am pregnant) and coke onboard the Prinsendam over our 2008 Christmas cruise. We had the packaging in plain sight so our room stewards knew they were not from HAL stock and did not charge us for the empties. We had them with lunch, or in my case when needed above that, and I took a gingerale to the DR on New Years Eve to have as my "champagne". No problems encountered in doing so, and no one from HAL ever said a word. Certainly a lot less expensive then buyng pop onboard the ship.
Connie

hombre January 25th, 2009 02:10 PM

hal allows sodas, water, wine, and champagne to be brough onboard; period, end of. why does this have to go on? and there is free tea, and coffee on board, and lots of water, which is better than the bottled stuff.

billbelt March 10th, 2009 05:39 PM

Bringing Coke/Pepsi On Board

We have traveled many of the cruise lines and not once has anyone said anything to us about bringing can sodas on board. The cost on some ships is very high if you get cans from the mini-fridge so we just don't do it. We always have left overs at the end of the cruise and give those to the cabin attendant all of whom have expressed their appreciation. The cruise industry makes us do this with all of the charges one has in crusing these days. Our last three cruise prices were actually less than our charges aboard the ship.

CA Cruiser March 10th, 2009 11:51 PM

No problems in January with an 8 pack in our carry on. Didn't hide or try and sneak it on. No problems.

Pattizoo March 13th, 2009 07:13 PM

Do all the staterooms even HAVE mini fridges? I know they do on Princess, but our first HAL cruise is coming up in May and I was wondering.
We also just booked a 74 day cruise on the Volendam next year, and a mini fridge is almost a MUST for that length of time! A soda card would be almost as much as the cruise for a sailing that long!! Besides, I don't drink the 6 or so sodas a day that make a card break even, and I can't bring myself to spend almost as much for a single soda as an alcoholic beverage!!