Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 21st, 2009, 07:49 PM
Beginner

Default Bringing soft drinks on board

Do people really do this? And keep them in the mini fridge?
Sponsored Links
Old January 21st, 2009, 07:59 PM
Admiral

We just did last week on the Westerdam. We picked up an 8 pack at the Publix by our hotel, Embassy Suites and put it and the 4 waters from the hotel in our carry on. They were nice and cold all week for our lunches and the shows.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old January 21st, 2009, 08:42 PM
Captain

Don't feel you have to bring soda or water.
HAL has both on board available for purchase.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 06:38 AM
Passenger

Does this mean that if you wanted to you can bring pop and water on board? Or is it that you just did not get caught sneaking it on board? I know you can bring wine on board but I did not know that pop is allowed.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 10:19 AM
Captain

HAL allows guests to bring soda and water aboard.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 08:11 PM
Admiral

Yes HAL has both available for purchase but we prefer Pepsi over Coke products. The hotel gave us the water for free so we brought it along. We were not "sneaking" the soda/water on board. It was in our carry-on which goes thru the xray machine upon check in. Others bought soda in port and brought it on, no questions asked. A soda or water purchased on board is $2 and can add up. We drank a lot of ice tea also.

7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

Old January 23rd, 2009, 11:30 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to Hollyday

Hello all,

Here is a link for what you can and can't bring on a HAL ship.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise...oard%20Policie s&contentSubMenu=Bringing%20Alcoholic%20Beverage s% 20Onboard

Bringing Alcoholic Beverages Onboard

Except for wine and champagne, alcoholic beverages purchased in the vessel's shops or otherwise brought on the ship[/color] cannot be consumed on the ship. Bottles and other containers will be collected for safekeeping and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the voyage.

A corkage fee of US$15.00 applies to wine and champagne brought to the restaurants or bars for consumption.

Room Service offers reduced-price stateroom beverage packages for in-stateroom consumption of alcoholic beverages.

We will have the steward clear out in the in-room frig and will be taking our own soda/pop and water. We take the "On the Go" packs of Crystal Lite (or store brand) and bottled water. If you are not familiar with them they are small boxes of individual packs of drink powder that are perfect for a flavoring bottled water. You can find them in the Kool-Aid isle. They come 10 to 12 per box, are easy to carry in a purse or pocket, lots of flavors, and either very low calories (1-10) or no calories at all.
Old January 25th, 2009, 03:23 AM
Beginner

We brought a 12 pack of gingerale(I am pregnant) and coke onboard the Prinsendam over our 2008 Christmas cruise. We had the packaging in plain sight so our room stewards knew they were not from HAL stock and did not charge us for the empties. We had them with lunch, or in my case when needed above that, and I took a gingerale to the DR on New Years Eve to have as my "champagne". No problems encountered in doing so, and no one from HAL ever said a word. Certainly a lot less expensive then buyng pop onboard the ship.
Connie
Old January 25th, 2009, 02:10 PM
First Mate

hal allows sodas, water, wine, and champagne to be brough onboard; period, end of. why does this have to go on? and there is free tea, and coffee on board, and lots of water, which is better than the bottled stuff.
Old March 10th, 2009, 05:39 PM
First Mate

Default Bringing Coke/Pepsi On Board

We have traveled many of the cruise lines and not once has anyone said anything to us about bringing can sodas on board. The cost on some ships is very high if you get cans from the mini-fridge so we just don't do it. We always have left overs at the end of the cruise and give those to the cabin attendant all of whom have expressed their appreciation. The cruise industry makes us do this with all of the charges one has in crusing these days. Our last three cruise prices were actually less than our charges aboard the ship.
Old March 10th, 2009, 11:51 PM
Admiral

No problems in January with an 8 pack in our carry on. Didn't hide or try and sneak it on. No problems.

7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

Old March 13th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Pattizoo

Do all the staterooms even HAVE mini fridges? I know they do on Princess, but our first HAL cruise is coming up in May and I was wondering.
We also just booked a 74 day cruise on the Volendam next year, and a mini fridge is almost a MUST for that length of time! A soda card would be almost as much as the cruise for a sailing that long!! Besides, I don't drink the 6 or so sodas a day that make a card break even, and I can't bring myself to spend almost as much for a single soda as an alcoholic beverage!!