Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 16th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Beginner

Default shore excursions western caribbean-HELP!!!!!

My fiancee and I will be traveling on the Holland America Ms. Veendam March 8th, traveling to Belize City, Santo tomas de Castilla(Guatemala) and Costa Maya and we are looking for a shore excursions. We would like to be able to do some shopping also. Anyone have any ideas or experiences, please share! Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Old February 16th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Passenger

We enjoyed Cavetubing in Belize, we did not use the ship's package instead opted for islandmarketing.com. We had a fantastic time and is one of our family's favorite memories. I've also heard Belize is a fantastic place to snorkel or dive - I would go for that next time.

Costa Maya is a cruise ship port. We had more fun there than I expected. It has a great saltwater pool in the center with a swim up bar and great music. Around the outside of the pool are lots of shops. I got some great things there, including my favorite pair of TAXCO sterling silver earrings.

I've heard other people mention taking a taxi into the small town. Check out the postings under destinations - caribbean there is much more info about your question.

Free Cruise Clocks
Old February 16th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Beginner

Thank you so much for your input, we definately want to do the zipline/tubing in Belize.
Old February 18th, 2009, 06:12 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Costa Maya tours

If you are interested in Maya ruins, I would recommend the tour to the Chacchoben Mayan Ruins. It took five hours, so we were back at Costa Maya by 2:00pm.

Check out the website: chacchobenruins.com
2006 W. Caribbean
2006 Alaska
2007 E. Caribbean
2007 N. Atlantic
2008 Alaska
2008 S. America
2009 Grand Voyage
2009 Canada
2010 N. Atlantic
2011 Grand Voyage
2012 Alaska
2013 Hawaii - S. Pacific
Old February 20th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Beginner

Thanks for the info, we went ahead and booked the zipline/tubing tour in Belize, and the chacchoben ruins tour. As for Santo Tomas De Castilla, I tried to contact the "Go with Gus Tours" to book a full day tour but didn't get a response. Anyone been to Guatemala port or know of any information that I'm missing? I looked on Holland America's website, but their excursions arent that great.
Old February 23rd, 2009, 07:47 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default COsta Maya & Belize

The best tours we've done in Belize are the Lamanai Mayan Ruins tour and Cave Tubing & zipline with http://belizecruiseexcursions.com.

We enjoyed the zipline in Belize but we also did Canopy Zipline & Mayan Experience in COSTA MAYA and it was INCREDIBLE!!!!! It is the longest zipline in North American and we saw Macaws!!!
Old March 8th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Zipline Belize

My husband and I did the zipline in Belize. This is the only time we've done one. It was a pretty long trip to where you get to zip with a rest stop. There was also a pretty good hike up to where you actually got on the line. My husband was ok but I got a little winded. If you are young and in good shape you'll do fine. The people helping us seemed very efficient at their tasks. We enjoyed it. They gave us a small lunch box and drinks which was adequate. It was an enjoyable experience with fun zipping. I wish there had been more zipping. We had time to shop before we tendered back to the ship.
Carnival Dream-Oct 2010-Eastern Caribbean
RCL Oasis-May 2010-Western Caribbean
Carnival Fantasy-April 2010-Mexico
HAL Ryndam-Sept 2009-Alaska
Carnival Holiday-May 2009-Cozumel
Carnival Celebration-April 2008-Key West, Nassau
Carnival Liberty-May 2007-Panama Canal
Carnival Miracle-Apr 2006 (1st for DH)- Mexico, Belize
Carnival Holiday-Feb 2005-Mexico
Carnival Fascination-Dec 2000-Nassau