Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 5th, 2009, 09:57 AM
Beginner

Default Noordam or Statendam ? Family with twins (4yrs) seeks advise

Can anyone give us his/her opinion about choosing the best ship...we are struggling between 13feb2010 ms Noordam 10days Southern Carr. (cabin VF) and 29jan2010 Statendam 15days Southern Carr. (oceanview FF..no balcony available).

We have two 4yrs old and prefer food&itinerary&service above entertainment and cheerleading atmosphere. We cruised before with RCCL and Celebrity.

Oh...and this will also be our honeymoon!

Thanks for all your help&suggestions...and sorry for any mistakes in the language...I am from The Netherlands (Rotterdam!).
Sponsored Links
Old March 11th, 2009, 12:40 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Noordam or Statendam ? Family with twins (4yrs) seeks ad

Quote:
Originally Posted by borabora
Can anyone give us his/her opinion about choosing the best ship...we are struggling between 13feb2010 ms Noordam 10days Southern Carr. (cabin VF) and 29jan2010 Statendam 15days Southern Carr. (oceanview FF..no balcony available).

We have two 4yrs old and prefer food&itinerary&service above entertainment and cheerleading atmosphere. We cruised before with RCCL and Celebrity.

Oh...and this will also be our honeymoon!

Thanks for all your help&suggestions...and sorry for any mistakes in the language...I am from The Netherlands (Rotterdam!).
... not trying to be a smart*** here, but why on earth would you bring two four-year-olds on your honeymoon? Frankly, I'd leave them home with trusted relatives, take the Noordam sailing with the balcony, and then plan on lots of romantic dinners ensuite, with loads of one-on-one cuddling on the balcony. There will be plenty of time for other cruises that you can share with the little ones ... the honeymoon should be all about the two of you.

But ... if you are determined to bring the young ones, I guess I would still have to recommend the Noordam. It's a bigger ship which presumably will have more kids onboard, with a more active children's program where your four-year-olds will likely have some other kids of a similar age to play with. Socialization skills are important for kids to develop, and the kids will have a lot more fun if they have contact with other children while onboard.

The balcony will be nice for the two of you as well. I don't know if your kids still take naps during the day (I'm not a parent, so I know very little about this sort of thing), but if they do ... the balcony will be a great place for you and your husband to retreat to when you want to keep things quiet for the kids' nap time, yet still be nearby to keep an eye on them.

Whatever ship you decide on ... and whether or not you bring the kids along ... I hope you have a wonderful cruise and many long and happy years together.

Blue skies!

--rita
Old March 13th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Pattizoo

My first thought besides why one would bring children on a honeymoon, was, these are both AWFULLY long cruises for small children. They would probably be fine on a shorter cruise, but the tight quarters are going to get old very quickly. Also, many of us older folks book longer cruises hoping to AVOID kids, especially on the more premium class ships. I would be very disconcerted to find 4 year olds on my 15 day HAL cruise!! (Sorry, I already raised my 4 kids, and still have to care for 5 grandkids when not traveling. I AM escaping by cruising, I admit it!!) How about taking a shorter cruise and spending an equal time doing land based travel? If you are doing a Caribbean cruise, you are probably going to be in FLorida anyway. You could easily spend a week in Orlando and the kids will have a much better time. (I do understand that sometimes one must take kids along, even if it IS a honeymoon! It isn't a perfect world , after all!) Congratulations and good luck!!