Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 19th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Passenger

Default Bringing Lunch Ashore

I recently read on a post about bringing a small cooler with you on shore packed with sandwiches, the post was a few years old so I'm wondering if policies have changed.
Has anyone ever tried this? We are sailing next week in the caribbean and it would be a great money & time saver.
When we were in Australia in December you were forbidden to bring anything food related off the ship and into port. They actually had sniffer dogs sniffing you bags to make sure you didn't bring anything. If they found anything, which even included prepackaged food such as crackers sealed in the original package it was confiscated. The only thing you could bring off ship was a bottle of water un-opened, not even personal water bottles.

Free Cruise Clocks
Sponsored Links
Old March 19th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Admiral

Pre-packed food, like crackers is fine, but nothing else......no sandwiches, fruit, cookies, etc. As far as I remember this has always been the policy on the islands.

I don't know about personal water bottles, but I think they are fine. Check when you are on the ship with the Shorex people.
Old April 14th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Passenger

We sailed the Southern Caribbean and you could definitely bring food ashore. We started in Puerto Rico and ended on St. Maartin and there was never a single warning about bringing food on or off the ship. My husband purchased Gin in Puerto Rico and it wasn't even confiscated. He took it right to our room. I bought 5 cartons of cigarettes for my mom and those got back on ship also no questions asked.

Free Cruise Clocks
Old April 14th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenne
We sailed the Southern Caribbean and you could definitely bring food ashore. We started in Puerto Rico and ended on St. Maartin and there was never a single warning about bringing food on or off the ship. My husband purchased Gin in Puerto Rico and it wasn't even confiscated. He took it right to our room. I bought 5 cartons of cigarettes for my mom and those got back on ship also no questions asked.

All I can say is that you were very lucky you weren't caught taking food ashore.

Were you on a HAL ship? If you were, obviously you did not read all the warnings in the daily program about taking food ashore.

As far as the cigarettes for your Mom, HAL doesn't care how many cartons you bring on board - it would be customs that you would have had to deal with.
Old April 14th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Passenger

DeeDee,

There were no warnings regarding food, not in the bulletin that I read each day or on daily announcements. I also don't feel "lucky" I wasn't caught. All they would do would make you throw it out, big deal. I think you have your information wrong about food warnings for the islands we sailed to. I just want to inform people about my "real experience" in the past two weeks.

We rented a car in Puerto Rico and went to the El Junque rainforest national park, it would have been helpful to have some snacks along because it was an all day hiking excursion. We also went on a ship sponsored kayaking tour and HAL sent along snacks (from onboard!) with the event staff for after the tour. Guess it seems that HAL isn't aware of the "embargo" either.

That's all, sorry you can't accept that we didn't experience any shipboard or customs regulations regarding food being brought onboard or off.

Free Cruise Clocks
Old April 14th, 2009, 10:12 PM
Captain

Oh.... Yes, it can be a very big deal. There can be fines as high as $30,000 and more.

We are not permitted to bring food ashore in almost every port around the world.

They worry about damage to their agriculture among many other things. All it takes is one bug in one piece of fruit to start a serious infestation to fruit trees, vegetables etc

There is no Caribbean Island which permits anything other than factory sealed packages of crackers or cereal of such to be brought ashore. Do NOT even think of bring fruit, sandwich meat, veggies, meat, chicken..... nothing like that. Often there are cute little sniffer dogs and you better hope that don't sniff you and your backpack/cooler.
Old April 17th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Beginner

We have always done it and never had a problem. It is a great time (and money) saver as then at lunchtime you simply find a nice tree or other pleasant location, often with a georgous view. (much nicer than a local smoke-filled restaurant!) Also, many places we have been we wouldn't want to eat the local food anyway; at least you know stuff from the ship is safe.
Old April 17th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

Why not stick to the rules. They are made to keep possible problems out with fruits, meats etc, out.
Not just in the caribean but worldwide.
Also when entering e.g. the USA by plane passengers are also requested about this. Even a small fruitfly can give big problems.....
You will always find a local grocery store or restaurant to get food.
Old April 20th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Admiral

Well let's see, in some designated ports they take garbage consisting of every kind of food imaginable off the ship in bales by the ton. And take on fresh foods fruits and veggies, also by the ton.

As for me, we have spent at least 7.5 months at sea in the last 15 years and I don't ever remember seeing the sign about not taking food ashore. But then, we've never done it.

As to the gin, used to be you could do that , now if they catch you they will take it and give it back to you when you disembark. (cuts down on the bar profits don't you see!!

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old April 20th, 2009, 04:03 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by richstacy
Well let's see, in some designated ports they take garbage consisting of every kind of food imaginable off the ship in bales by the ton. And take on fresh foods fruits and veggies, also by the ton.
You raise a valid point about the garbage for we have watched the disposal system from our balcony (at the port of "Been There, Done That") But must say that the bales of compressed waste which must weigh 500 pounds each are totally sealed in preparation for disposal. And as to the oncoming fruit and veggies from any of these ports, all the more reason to not take them off at the next port of call...
Old April 21st, 2009, 01:15 AM
Familiar Face

When we docked at Grand Cayman we had a picnic at the beach. We packed some sandwich bags and ordered pb&j sandwiches from room service before we went ashore. It was much cheaper than buying food there! I don't remember anything saying we couldn't take food ashore.

Now that airlines don't serve much in the way of meals and snacks, most of them say you can bring food on board.

Happy Cruising!
Old July 4th, 2009, 05:35 PM
First Mate

Default Taking food ashore

We left a HA cruise a few weeks ago that had an outbreak of GIs aboard the ship affecting both passengers and crew. There was no food allowed to be taken off the ship. You were asked as you left the ship. On top of this, port authorities in every port were looking for vegetables and fruit at each port. The fines were quite large. Several on our cruise paid local authorities several hundred dolars for not obeying the rules. What you think you may save will end up costing you a lot more if you are caught. Why ruin a good vacation over a few bucks? Have a great cruise!!