Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 20th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Familiar Face

Default Wine Card Caution/Tip

We just came off the Volendam a few weeks ago and this came up during the cruise. Thought I'd pass this little tip along.....

I bought a wine card and on the second day we had only had used it for a total of 2 glasses of wine. In the diningroom that night I ordered a glass of wine with dinner. Much later that night when I went to order another glass in a lounge, I discovered that my wine card had 8 glasses punched/recorded on it. The diningroom wine steward had given me someone else's card back.

I talked to him the next night and he accepted right away that he had made a mistake and agreed to make up the difference for me. Actually he MORE than made up the difference, but that's beside the point:-) Had he not been so straightforward, it would have been a bit of a disappointment.

So, my tip for wine/soda card holders is to make a mark or other means of identifying your own card so you know you're getting the right card back.

HTH
Old March 21st, 2009, 05:16 AM
Admiral

Excellent tip!

I had the same thing happen to me in the Ocean Bar once. But in my case, it was only a matter of an extra punch or so. I didn't say anything, because I honestly could not be 100% sure that the number of punches on the card was wrong, but since then I've always put my initials in a corner of the card.

A related tip ... not so much for cruising, but important in daily life ... when you use your credit card at a restaurant, always check it when it is returned to you just to make sure the server didn't get his hands crossed and give you another person's card. Some of the cards are identical and you honestly might not notice for several weeks that your charging stuff on someone else's card ... and presumably he on yours.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old March 22nd, 2009, 09:39 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryos
Excellent tip!

I had the same thing happen to me in the Ocean Bar once. But in my case, it was only a matter of an extra punch or so. I didn't say anything, because I honestly could not be 100% sure that the number of punches on the card was wrong, but since then I've always put my initials in a corner of the card.

A related tip ... not so much for cruising, but important in daily life ... when you use your credit card at a restaurant, always check it when it is returned to you just to make sure the server didn't get his hands crossed and give you another person's card. Some of the cards are identical and you honestly might not notice for several weeks that your charging stuff on someone else's card ... and presumably he on yours.

Blue skies ...

--rita
I concur with Rita... To the point that the card I use has a unique image on it so I can just glance and know it is mine. Always check your card!!!
Old March 24th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Beginner

good idea and you were lucky- guess I will be taking that permanent marker with me!