CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Holland America (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/holland-america/)
-   -   Children and Formal Wear? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/holland-america/362578-children-formal-wear.html)

splunker March 20th, 2009 04:17 PM

Children and Formal Wear?

How strict is the formal wear policy for Children. I have dark suit and tie I was going to wear but what about my nine year boy? Does he have to have a jacket or is a shirt and tie fine for him? I am not so worried about my 14 year old daughter. She will just wear nice dress and I think she will be fine.

Thanks

DeeDee March 20th, 2009 05:59 PM

Shirt and tie is fine for your 9 year old. :)

One formal night a few weeks ago, I saw a kid, about 8-9 years old, in a t-shirt with a logo on the front - can't remember if he had long pants or shorts on. At one point when I looked down at him (we were at the rail in the upper balcony), he was slouched in his chair, had pulled his shirt up and was rubbing his tummy - obviously saying he was full. :roll: He was a little chunky so you can imagine what an impression that made on those looking at him. :roll:

Trip March 25th, 2009 08:10 PM

Absolutely, a shirt and tie will be perfect!

4Cruise4Fun April 21st, 2009 12:37 AM

A shirt and tie is fine for your son. On the second formal or elegant night of our last cruise my 8 year old son wore a shirt and jacket without a tie.

Happy cruising! :)

billbelt April 30th, 2009 04:40 PM

Formal Wear Question

We were on a 33 day South Pacific cruise and a 38 day South America cruise, all since September. I can't count the number of formal nights on those two cruises. However I can count the number of passengers that observe the formal dress codes on those night. NOT VERY MANY A young man wearing a shirt, tie and jacket would be great. In fact if there are a lot of children aboard he may very well be the best dressed. For males wearing a dark business suit was fit right in with formal night. We can only recall seeing less than a dozen men dressed in formal suits. The females dress a little better and many while wearing nice dresses were a long way from having formal wear on. This subject was discussed more than once at dinner and the general opinion of many seems to be one of "no concern at all". When you are on the Amsterdam where almost the entire crowd is seniors and an average age of over 70 and you don't have a lot of people dressed in formal wear, I think you will have to conclude that times have changed. Perhaps not for the better, but changes are here. Have a great cruise. LOL

Kagenaar June 19th, 2009 09:56 AM

Hello, we were on a baltic cruise last year with our to children, boy of almost 5 and girl of almost 10. A tie and a jacket looks really cute to our boy. Our girl was wearing nice dresses and tried to compete with my wife.
We had a great stay on the Eurodam and the children loved it. Next year again......!!

Vdp071 January 14th, 2013 12:58 PM

I just want to bring this up again. We have 11 yr old and 14 yr old boys.

sail7seas January 15th, 2013 08:13 PM

Technically, HAL requests everyone dress according to their dress code but the reality is inconsistent enforcement.

It is most likely if the boys are wearing neat, pressed shirts, tie and pressed dockers or trousers, they will be fine.

Make sure they are wearing a tie :) and have a great cruise. Make some wonderful memories.