CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Holland America (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/holland-america/)
-   -   Automatic 10.00/pp per day tipping added on to each account. (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/holland-america/362696-automatic-10-00-pp-per-day-tipping-added-each-account.html)

splunker March 23rd, 2009 03:43 PM

Automatic 10.00/pp per day tipping added on to each account.

Regarding 10.00 per day per person. I read that you can go to purser desk and get this amount taken off or reduced or increased. I have no problem leaving this as is for my wife and I. But am I unreasonalble to remove or reduce this amount from my two children who are also occupying the same cabin us?

I can see four adults in same room all paying their share, but this is 1 family with 2 adults and two kids.

green_rd March 23rd, 2009 05:00 PM

That is between you and your dear wife. A portion of the tips go to food service employees, will your children eat on board? Will your room be more or less tidy with four people occupying the cabin instead of two. Will you use more beds, towels?

My advise - only adjust the tips if you receive inferior or superior service, but they are your tips and you can do with them as you like.

DeeDee March 23rd, 2009 08:17 PM

It's now gone up to $11.00 per day per person.

Just remember that if you opt out of the automatic tipping, anything you give your cabin and dining room stewards will have to go into the "pool", they will not be allowed to keep it. If you stay on the automatic tipping, anything extra you give them, they are allowed to keep.

Please think this over before you opt out even if it's just for the kids.

Also please remember the steward has to make up 3 or 4 beds, clean up the room, remove and replace all the towels, etc. in the bathroom, etc. etc., even if 2 of the persons are children.

lak1 March 24th, 2009 01:51 PM

As someone above mentioned, there is actually more work for the steward with 4 people in the room instead of two. He/she has to raise and lower the upper berths or open and close the couch each day to make the beds for the extra two and handle sheets and towels for two extra. The waiters as well will wait on and bring food to four instead of two. So, while it is certainly your choice, if the service is good, please consider leaving the tips on all of your accounts as this is the way these folks make their living - and they will usually try very hard to make your cruise more comfortable.

kryos March 24th, 2009 08:09 PM

I can well understand that for a family, $44.00 per day in tips can seem a bit excessive. I would suggest, however, that you don't totally remove the auto-tips for the kids. Maybe leave one of the children's auto-tip on.

Of course, that is just a suggestion, and you and your wife have to do what you feel is best.

As others have said, the cabin steward does have additional work to do when there are four people sharing a cabin, even if two of them are children. He has to break down the beds (upper berth or sofa bed) and then pull them out and remake them each night. Then, of course, when there are four people sharing a cabin, there is gonna be more of a mess. That's to be expected. So, the cabin steward is gonna have more work to do each day in that cabin.

The waiters too will have more work to do since there will be four of you being served, rather than just two.

So, consider that fact when deciding how much of an auto-tip to leave on.

As I said, I have had friends who've removed the auto-tip maybe for one of the children, leaving it on for the other. I also have one who removed it entirely for the children staying in the group of cabins the extended family had. Generally, they would leave in place two auto-tips per cabin and they had something like six cabins. They felt that was enough, and that's their choice.

Again, tipping is a highly personal matter and you should do whatever you feel is right.

Blue skies!

--rita

splunker March 25th, 2009 01:35 PM

First of all thank you very much for you replies. I do appreciate you taking the time to comment.

I know they have little more work with two extra people in one cabin, but I don't seeing it being enough that it should require double the tip. You only have to clean the bathroom once, or pick up the room once, clean the floor once, whether or not I have 1 person or 6 people in the same room. If I move the kids to another an adjoining room now the stewards would have to clean up two rooms. Thats two bathrooms, two floors, well you get my point. Now that they really have twice the work they still are not getting any more tip? You can't really tell me that cleaning two rooms each with two occupants is same amount of work as cleaning one room with 4 occupants. Which would you rather do? This is why I am thinking tipping same amout for children occupying the same room is a bit excessive.

This is why I am leaning towards what kryos wrote.

DeeDee March 25th, 2009 02:00 PM

Quote:

You only have to clean the bathroom once, or pick up the room once, clean the floor once,
You are wrong there.........they clean it twice. They clean it in the morning after you have left the cabin - make the beds, dust and vacuum the room and clean the bathroom leaving fresh towels etc. Then after you leave for dinner, the clean the bathroom again & leave fresh towels, etc, vacuum again and then turn down the beds, leaving a chocolate on each pillow - yummy. :)

As previous posters said, tipping is very subjective and it's your call as to what you want to do.

Have a great time.

fmhealth March 29th, 2009 02:06 AM

Why not just put all the a/t on hold for everyone in your cabin? At the end of your cruise, tip the staff based upon the level of service provided.

What other business that you frequent tells you how much to tip? Cruise lines, simply feel the need to augment their staffs compensation with our money. I actually embrace this strategy but I have a real dilemma with a/t based upon some preconceived notion fine-tuned by the mkting. dept.

I know, I know, some people don't tip at all & the staff, rightfully so, relies on these funds as a material portion of their compensation. This is a fiscal responsibility my wife & I choose not to bear.

We usually tip far more than the modest guidelines. We simply tip for the expected service. Most times the service is outstanding & the compensation reflects this. On occasion, service was significantly below what we expected & thus our tipping was more modest.

In any event, proceed in a manner that you're most comfortable with. I'm sure, given the proper amount of thought you'll reach the appropriate decision.

Have a wonderful trip!