Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 5th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Beginner

Default laundry facilites on the Noordam

We are booked on the May 19 20 day Mediterranean cruise on the Noordam---does anyone know if there are laundry facilities available for longer trips? Also, if anyone has taken either leg of this trip in the past, how hard is it to get transportation (cab or car) from the various ports into the actual cities?
Sponsored Links
Old April 6th, 2009, 03:26 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to rayb Send a message via Skype™ to rayb
Default b

The Noordam does NOT have launderette facilities. I am sue the ship has launder facility that you can send your clothes out for them to Launder.

Cruising on Ruby Princess: September 22, 2015. 10 Days, From New York to Quebec City. My 98th Cruise!
Old April 6th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Admiral

No self-serve laundry facilities on the Noordam, but they have specials on laundry and dry cleaning, so check them out when you are on board.

They do a great job.
Old April 8th, 2009, 09:37 AM
Familiar Face

Default Re: laundry facilites on the Noordam

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo
We are booked on the May 19 20 day Mediterranean cruise on the Noordam---does anyone know if there are laundry facilities available for longer trips? Also, if anyone has taken either leg of this trip in the past, how hard is it to get transportation (cab or car) from the various ports into the actual cities?
Hi MOMO

I am a big HAL fan, and have been on many of their ships. What I do is go to the front desk,first thing, even before going to your room, and ask for a "Laundry Package". The price varyies on the length of the cruise. It may be around somewhere around $100.00.

When your ready, fill out the laundry paper work in your room, basically a clothing count, shirts, dresses, socks, etc. You get to fill a bag or two, just ask the room steward for a extra one if you need it.

Leave the bag(s) in the room, the room steward will pick them up and in a couple of days it reappears in your room. IT TAKES A COUPLE OF DAYS BEFORE IT IS RETURNED, so keep this in mind.

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BUY A LAUNDRY PACKAGE FOR EACH PERSON IN YOUR ROOM. I know it works for two people.

Just ask at the desk to see how many people in the cabin can use the same service. BE SURE TO CHECK THE BOX THAT SAYS SOMETHING LIKE NO CHARGE, PRE-PAID LAUNDRY or something to that effect. No dry cleaning service is included with the laundry package. Be sure to find out the last day you can submit laundry. Don't wait until the last day, you want it back in time to pack it before you leave. It's a great service if you are extending at the end of the cruise. They acutal press off the clothes, shirts/pants come back on hangers. Carnival has a wash and "fold" service, and that is exactly what you get - wash and fold for everything!
Old April 8th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:

I forgot, this is true on any of the HOLLAND AMERICA ships, not just the Noordam!
Old May 21st, 2009, 09:47 AM
Beginner

I had the same question and recently called HAL , no self service facilities on board but the dry clean and launder on a personal basis
Old May 21st, 2009, 10:28 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninBear
Quote:

I forgot, this is true on any of the HOLLAND AMERICA ships, not just the Noordam!
Only the Vista ships, NOORDAM, WESTERDAM, OOSTERDAM, ZUIDERDAM - also the EURODAM do not have self-service laundries. All the other ships, S & R class do have them.
Old May 21st, 2009, 08:27 PM
Familiar Face

We sailed on the Noordam last January on a 10 night cruise and were pleasantly surprised to find a money saving laundry option on offer by HAL after departing Ft. Lauderdale.

For a price of about $20, and a 48 hour turn around time, they would allow us to stuff a cloth laundry bag with anything and everything as full we could. They would clean (no dry cleaning), fold (i.e. T-shirts) or press, hang if necessary (shirts, dockers pants), the entire thing. Had we used the conventional laundry form option, I calculated that we would have paid about $80 for what we stuffed into their cloth laundry bag. The secret is to stuff the bag to the max, don't be shy.

Since we had a pre-cruise and post-cruise lay over of about 6 days, this proved to be a most reasonable alternative to either over-packing (added luggage weight/fees) or doing laundry ashore before/after the cruise. It worked for us. Good luck.