Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 26th, 2009, 10:07 PM
Admiral

I suggest some of you folks who have trouble with HAL check some of the other threads concerning other lines here, or better yet, try other lines. You will find they are no better -- and they all have their share of whiners and complainers.

Like Tango couple above, my wife and I have more than 100 days on HAL ships and we've been literally all over the world with them. They are a fine line and their service is second to none. Their ships are kept in great shape and refurbished frequently. The food is above par. They have excellent educational programs on longer cruises. The ships, unlike those of many other lines do not resemble floating amusement parks but are seaworthy things of beauty with dark wood, polished brass, fine art and wide wrap-around promenades. You can complain all you want, but that does not change the fact that Holland is, for the price. very, very hard to beat

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old June 14th, 2009, 05:39 PM
Passenger

Default Quality of HAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by richstacy
I suggest some of you folks who have trouble with HAL check some of the other threads concerning other lines here, or better yet, try other lines. You will find they are no better -- and they all have their share of whiners and complainers.

Like Tango couple above, my wife and I have more than 100 days on HAL ships and we've been literally all over the world with them. They are a fine line and their service is second to none. Their ships are kept in great shape and refurbished frequently. The food is above par. They have excellent educational programs on longer cruises. The ships, unlike those of many other lines do not resemble floating amusement parks but are seaworthy things of beauty with dark wood, polished brass, fine art and wide wrap-around promenades. You can complain all you want, but that does not change the fact that Holland is, for the price. very, very hard to beat
Thank you for your loyalty to HAL.This will be our third cruise with them, and we fell in love with all the things you listed about their ships.And I agree about "floating amusement parks".We enjoy the cruise ship experience.Otherwise we would go to Disney World!
Enjoy your cruise,
Michael
Old June 14th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Admiral

A man after may own heart

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Golden Princess
Old June 15th, 2009, 12:09 PM
First Mate

Default Problems

I agree with the last two posters. HAL is hard to beat I have experienced only one minor problem and it was taken care of immediately

The ships are elegant and the service second to none. We sail with HAL again in two days Our experience with RCL has been very good also but there is just something special about HAL

Tulum Mexico Resort Reviews

Splendour of the Seas 97
Veendam 05
Westerdam 06
Serenade of the Seas 07
Liberty of the Seas 07
Jewel of the Seas 08
Westerdam 09
Volendam 09
Solstice 10
Solstice 10
Caribbean Princess 11
Nieuw Amsterdam 11
Oasis of the Seas 12
Queen Elizabeth 12
Eurodam 13
Carnival Valor 13
Carnival Fantasy 14
Constellation 14
Old June 15th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Admiral

Mike,
Bon voyage

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Golden Princess
Old June 15th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Problems with HAL Cruises

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomTerw
What problems have readers had? Any cruise line can be great until problems occur, but the real difference between a good and bad line is how they handle problems.
We probably wouldn't sail HAL again. We've cruised 11 times on 5 different lines, Princess being our favourite. We were on the Zuiderdam in May in Alaska. There were some parts that HAL did really well, everyone was very friendly. I noticed a distinct lack of women in the dining room and as cabin stewards.

We had numerous service issues on this trip only 2 days of hot water in the shower, three days to fix the safe despite numerous phone calls, two days to empty the fridge, ran out of coffee cups and bacon on the same morning, restricted hours on the Lido, one day we wanted a late lunch (2:00 PM) and all the shutters were being pulled down in the Lido. All the good entertainment was scheduled 1/2 way through late seating, even to pick up the prizes with the Dam Dollars on the last night you had to go during late seating. Don't know what they were thinking. And then they served fake crab twice in the main dining room, that was the nail in the coffin for us. We're back on Princess for a B2B in September and it's a pretty safe bet that my husband will never step foot on another HAL ship.
Old June 15th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Admiral

Trakypup, I have never even HEARD of such problems on a HAL ship before, and I have more than 100 days on them. I guess you just had bad luck. I'm sorry for you.

However, I'm sure that the bad world wide economic situation has caused some cutbacks in service, but I'm sure you will find that across the board. Princess and HAL are in fact owned by the same company you know -- we like them both, a lot, but HAL service is always a cut above.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Golden Princess
Old June 15th, 2009, 05:01 PM
First Mate

Default HAL

Trackypup, sorry you had a bad experience I have not sailed yet with Princess but look forward to it next year 8)

Tulum Mexico Resort Reviews

Splendour of the Seas 97
Veendam 05
Westerdam 06
Serenade of the Seas 07
Liberty of the Seas 07
Jewel of the Seas 08
Westerdam 09
Volendam 09
Solstice 10
Solstice 10
Caribbean Princess 11
Nieuw Amsterdam 11
Oasis of the Seas 12
Queen Elizabeth 12
Eurodam 13
Carnival Valor 13
Carnival Fantasy 14
Constellation 14
Old June 15th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Passenger

Richstacy, I have heard but don't know if its true or not but all the big cruise lines (13) are owned by one large bank,to include Cunard.
Zuiderdam 2006
Westerdam 2007
Statendam 2008
River Odyssey 2008
Prinsendam 2009
Volendam Booked for 10-26-09
Bizet Booked for 5- 7-10
Old June 15th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Trakypup, I have never even HEARD of such problems on a HAL ship before, and I have more than 100 days on them. I guess you just had bad luck. I'm sorry for you.

However, I'm sure that the bad world wide economic situation has caused some cutbacks in service, but I'm sure you will find that across the board. Princess and HAL are in fact owned by the same company you know -- we like them both, a lot, but HAL service is always a cut above.
I was quite honestly stunned. We have friends that cruise a lot with HAL and just rave so we thought we'd be getting a step up from Princess. It was so disappointing. There were things that were excellent, the Pinnacle Grill is a steal, the food was excellent, but a huge let down in the MDR. As I mentioned, we're back with Princess in September, it'll be interesting to see how far their cuts have gone.
Old June 15th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsalt
Richstacy, I have heard but don't know if its true or not but all the big cruise lines (13) are owned by one large bank,to include Cunard.
Cunard is indeed owned by Carnival but Celebrity, Pulmantur, Azamara are all owned by Royal Caribbean. Carnival and Royal Caribbean are the big boys. With Carnival owning the most, ie. HAL, Princess, Cunard, etc.
Old June 17th, 2009, 11:20 AM
Passenger

We used to like HAL, but after two DISASTROUS experiences with them... which did include lying to get us onboard a ship which had just had 4 sailings with over 300 people with stomach flu (not counting crew) terrible service and a cabin that was so dirty that there were still finger nail clippings in the bathroom...we decided NEVER AGAIN with HAL.

The stories are actually long and I wrote a detailed account when it happened for the other cruise board... but Holland is NOT what it once was. After 71 cruises, I have seen enough to know.
Old June 21st, 2009, 02:37 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Soundsgreat6

Right now I would think all the cruise lines are having problems due to H1N1, I would think that you would find that on all ships currently. I will researve my comments on the current situation till after my cruise pin October. It's like any other company there can be good or bad at the same time. People are people you can have a off day or a great day or both right nex tto each other. The main reason I like Hal is that I feel like I'm on a Ship not a floating Carnival (nothing against Carnival lines either)
The atmosphere on hal ships is more refined and posibly a bit more sophisticated in my view. Plus I really enjoy meeting people and sharing conversations on meny different topics. "I find that you can do that on Hal. or just find a spot to share with your partner. My glass is always 1/2 full and smiles for all.
Old June 21st, 2009, 02:38 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Soundsgreat6

Right now I would think all the cruise lines are having problems due to H1N1, I would think that you would find that on all ships currently. I will researve my comments on the current situation till after my cruise pin October. It's like any other company there can be good or bad at the same time. People are people you can have a off day or a great day or both right nex tto each other. The main reason I like Hal is that I feel like I'm on a Ship not a floating Carnival (nothing against Carnival lines either)
The atmosphere on hal ships is more refined and posibly a bit more sophisticated in my view. Plus I really enjoy meeting people and sharing conversations on meny different topics. "I find that you can do that on Hal. or just find a spot to share with your partner. My glass is always 1/2 full and smiles for all.
Old June 23rd, 2009, 02:36 PM
Banned
Cruise Maniac

I have never cruised on HAL, but have heard all nice comments about this line and its crew. So it is a little suprising when I read the bad comments posted here.
I do intend to cruise on HAL in the future. However, I am in my early forties, and would feel very young.
I have heard remarks that HAL passenger profile are all old, and as a woman, I would have to color my hair blue.
Old June 23rd, 2009, 02:44 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Knickers
I have never cruised on HAL, but have heard all nice comments about this line and its crew. So it is a little suprising when I read the bad comments posted here.
I do intend to cruise on HAL in the future. However, I am in my early forties, and would feel very young.
I have heard remarks that HAL passenger profile are all old, and as a woman, I would have to color my hair blue.
Everyone has to decide for themselves which ship and line to take. It is fine to listen to our (and others) opinions, in the end, you pay so you have to make up your own mind. No ship or line is doomed to be any one thing. Cruising is always changing. We simply made the decision for ourselves after being lied to and shown that revenue was more important than customer satisfaction or comfort... an exec there said that to us. I won't cruise with a company that outright lies, regardless of how "nice" the ships might be.
Old June 23rd, 2009, 02:46 PM
Beginner

I'm a newbie cruiser with only 2 under my belt. I had never heard of someone walking you to your cabin so that was surprising to me when someone commented on it. I guess more experienced cruisers notice cutbacks due to the economy more than a newcomer like me. I'm always so glad to be off work that whatever happens is still magical. I know that a lot of people would love to be in my shows at the moment so I just try and take it all in.

I can't wait for my next. We're hoping for a Med cruise for my 50th b-day.
Old June 23rd, 2009, 03:24 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Lynn,don't knock the Blue Rinse brigade gals,there may be snow on the mountain top but there is plenty of heat in the fire. We had a pair of twins on our last cruise, both had gray hair but they put on a stage show that put the regular entertainers to shame. I spoke to them afterwards and they told me they were retired singers and dancers duo who can still sing and dance with the best of them,they were 72 and hit the scale at 110 pounds plus they still had their looks that drew the older men like bees to the honey pot.
Zuiderdam 2006
Westerdam 2007
Statendam 2008
River Odyssey 2008
Prinsendam 2009
Bizet Booked for 5- 7-10
Old June 23rd, 2009, 03:43 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Quote:
Lynn,don't knock the Blue Rinse brigade gals,there may be snow on the mountain top but there is plenty of heat in the fire. We had a pair of twins on our last cruise, both had gray hair but they put on a stage show that put the regular entertainers to shame. I spoke to them afterwards and they told me they were retired singers and dancers duo who can still sing and dance with the best of them,they were 72 and hit the scale at 110 pounds plus they still had their looks that drew the older men like bees to the honey pot.
That is a really good point! I never thought to comment about the other side of things, but my partner and I cruised HAL while in our 30s and we never had any problems or complaints about the other passengers: there was always a good mix, even if the average skewed older. The thing is, we met fantastic people! Older people have a hell of a lot more to talk about and converse over than the younger ones who often just want to party and binge drink. Sure, the lounges are mostly empty by midnight, however each sailing always had a core group of people that liked to stay out a little later and have a cocktail, etc. I would never knock the passengers on HAL!
Old June 23rd, 2009, 04:17 PM
Admiral

We had ton of problems with the actual cruise, but the passengers were lovely and for the most part so were the staff.

We did get a response from HAL in regards to the fake crab and other service issues we encountered. They offered us a 3 category upgrade, dinner in the pinnacle, champagne, VIP treatment, etc but I honestly think we'll pass. There's too many other lines out there that are a better fit for us.[img][/img]
Old June 23rd, 2009, 04:21 PM
Admiral

Quote:
However, I'm sure that the bad world wide economic situation has caused some cutbacks in service, but I'm sure you will find that across the board.
In the response from HAL they said it wasn't a cut back and that one staff member (who has now been retrained) was responible for pollack being used in place of Dungeness Crab and Alaska King Crab as it was on our cruise. Personally I find that a crock that one person other than the head chef would be responsible for switching ingredients in both an appetizer and an entree.
Old June 23rd, 2009, 04:28 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackypup
Quote:
However, I'm sure that the bad world wide economic situation has caused some cutbacks in service, but I'm sure you will find that across the board.
In the response from HAL they said it wasn't a cut back and that one staff member (who has now been retrained) was responible for pollack being used in place of Dungeness Crab and Alaska King Crab as it was on our cruise. Personally I find that a crock that one person other than the head chef would be responsible for switching ingredients in both an appetizer and an entree.
And as they are known to lie through their teeth... I would bet you are right!
Old June 23rd, 2009, 04:35 PM
Banned
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Lynn,don't knock the Blue Rinse brigade gals,there may be snow on the mountain top but there is plenty of heat in the fire.
What a nice thing to say.
My Hubby has grey hair, and both of us chuckled when we read this

Well written, and well done !!
Old June 23rd, 2009, 07:04 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Quote:
Lynn,don't knock the Blue Rinse brigade gals,there may be snow on the mountain top but there is plenty of heat in the fire.
What a nice thing to say.
My Hubby has grey hair, and both of us chuckled when we read this

Well written, and well done !!
Thank you Lynn,happy you took my post as I meant it,with humor and jest.

Happy cruising to you and the hubby.

Al. Oldsalt.
Zuiderdam 2006
Westerdam 2007
Statendam 2008
River Odyssey 2008
Prinsendam 2009
Bizet Booked for 5- 7-10
Old June 23rd, 2009, 07:24 PM
Passenger

Default Problems with HAL

OK, can we now stop with the HAL BASHING???? And while we're at it,running a cruise line into the ground is NOT a very professional thing for someone who is OBVIOUSLY in the business to be doing.We get it! You do not like Holland America.Use someone else.Your story is beginning to sound like a very large case of sour grapes.
And in the future,I personally think anyone who is in the travel business should make that fact known right up front in every post,because it can explain a lot to those of us who know enough to take any opinion with a grain of salt and a healthy dose of skepticism.It also will prevent having to search pages of posts and multiple boards to find the tiny disclaimer you may or may not have started with.
Thank You,
A very satisfied Holland America Lines past and future guest.
Old June 23rd, 2009, 08:11 PM
Admiral

I couldn't agree with Garyandmichael more! Friends of Dave, whoever you are, it is time now to stop the HAL bashing. Give it a rest!! Perhaps you have no laws against libel in Germany, if not, believe me, you don't want to find out about them. HAL has never lied to me, and it is irresponsible and juvenile of you to constantly repeat your unsupported allegation here. You have made your point. Now move on.

Here is the fact: Not everyone is happy with every cruise experience. Gee what a surprise! If you don't like Holland, fine, don't cruise with them anymore. To each his own. Hal is not for you. For me and for countless others, they have the finest ships and the best and most courteous crews afloat for the money. Your bad experience does not give you license to malign them endlessly and repeatedly with malice. Grow up and get over it.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Golden Princess
Old June 23rd, 2009, 08:30 PM
Admiral

You are some kind of a travel professional Dave? Trying to drum up some business here? Did Holland refuse to sanction your tour proposal?

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Golden Princess
Old June 23rd, 2009, 09:41 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Problems with HAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyandmichael@yahoo.com
OK, can we now stop with the HAL BASHING???? And while we're at it,running a cruise line into the ground is NOT a very professional thing for someone who is OBVIOUSLY in the business to be doing.We get it! You do not like Holland America.Use someone else.Your story is beginning to sound like a very large case of sour grapes.
And in the future,I personally think anyone who is in the travel business should make that fact known right up front in every post,because it can explain a lot to those of us who know enough to take any opinion with a grain of salt and a healthy dose of skepticism.It also will prevent having to search pages of posts and multiple boards to find the tiny disclaimer you may or may not have started with.
Thank You,
A very satisfied Holland America Lines past and future guest.
Hmmmm WOW! I'm not a travel professional, have nothing to gain by bashing HAL, but our cruise sucked. Should the HAL board and a thread designated to HAL problems not be a place to discuss this? Get over yourselves, HAL screws up too. All lines do. We appreciate that you're HAL fans and have never had a bad cruise with them, but hell, wake up, some of us do have bad cruises with them and are completely entitled to talk about it.
Old June 23rd, 2009, 09:56 PM
Passenger

Default HAL bashing

I was referring to "friends of Dave",had you been reading ALL the posts,you would have known that.
Old June 23rd, 2009, 10:03 PM
Admiral

Default Re: HAL bashing

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyandmichael@yahoo.com
I was referring to "friends of Dave",had you been reading ALL the posts,you would have known that.
I knew exactly who you were talking about and he's totally entitled to his opinion and to post it here.