Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 30th, 2009, 03:54 PM
First Mate

Default Tipping At A Restaurant Where a Service Fee Is Charged

Many cruise lines have a restaurant where a fee is charged to eat. On the Holland Amsterdam the service charge is $20 per person. I just sailed on that ship for 38 days and found a difference in passenger opinions on this subject. What do you think? THANKS
Old April 30th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Admiral

We ate at the one on the Westerdam and pre-paid it when we ordered it on line. The tip is included in the charge and we when our dinner was over were never given a bill to add additional tip to it. We then came home and paid it off with miles from our Capital One card. We wanted to try it but it was okay. The dining room was just as good and the lobster was actually better in the dining room.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old May 18th, 2009, 06:55 AM
Familiar Face

Default Re: Tipping At A Restaurant Where a Service Fee Is Charged

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbelt
Many cruise lines have a restaurant where a fee is charged to eat. On the Holland Amsterdam the service charge is $20 per person. I just sailed on that ship for 38 days and found a difference in passenger opinions on this subject. What do you think? THANKS
The tip in the "specialty" restaurant, known on HAL ships as the Pinnacle Grill, is INCLUDED" with the Service Charge, presently, $20 for dinner! Do not let anyone tell you differently!
Old May 18th, 2009, 11:36 PM
Admiral

I've heard of people tipping in the Pinnacle Grill, but I personally don't do it. I don't even tip my servers in the dining room anything extra unless there is an overriding reason to do so. HAL has determined that $11 per day/per person is the fair tip amount for food service and housekeeping. They have determined a 15% gratuity takes care of the beverage department. Therefore, I am more than willing to bow to HAL's judgment in this area and feel that as long as my auto-tips stay in place, then I've tipped all that is expected of me.

Also, in many cases, passengers don't even have cash money on them while wandering around the ship. I usually keep my purse locked in my cabin safe and never carry it around with me while on the ship. Even if I was inclined to want to leave a cash tip, chances are I wouldn't have any cash on my person. My guess is that a lot of passengers find themselves in the same position.

The Pinnacle carries an extra $20 per person service charge. I can only assume that $20 includes a portion for gratuity. Additionally, the Pinnacle waiters are part of the culinary department, and as such they should also be included in the auto-tip pool.

No need to tip additional unless, of course, you wish to.

Blue skies ...

--rita