Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 30th, 2009, 04:50 PM
First Mate

Default Never, Never Take Food Ashore In South America

This is not posted as a question but rather advice. we just completed a 38 day South American crusie where we stopped at some of the nicest port cities. Everyone was warned not to bring fruit off the ship. We have no numbers on how many did howver we do know that we dined with three passengers who had to pay $200 , on the spot fines, for having an orange or apple in their backpack. One port had "banana inspection" dogs that sniffed each bag carried off. In order to settle the fine you had to pay in local currency on the spot.One person at our dining table was born an raised in Chile and knew completeley about the law. He said he just forgot to take out one orange from his bag. He said---"oh well that port had a steep entry fee" and he just moved on to the next day.
Old May 1st, 2009, 03:51 PM
Captain

That's the only way some people learn the rules apply to them also.
Old May 1st, 2009, 10:03 PM
Admiral

S7S, I couldn't agree more. And too, I've always wondered how someone could afford to pay thousands for a cruise but try to save pocket change by taking a banana or an apple off the ship for a snack, especially in a foreign country when they are normally warned about such actions.
I'm not rich but if I can't afford what I want to eat or drink, I'll forego the cruise and use that money to buy food and drink !!
Old May 2nd, 2009, 06:58 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail7seas
That's the only way some people learn the rules apply to them also.
I completely agree with you. After reading the previous posts on another thread about people taking food off the ship, I thought to myself, it would serve them right if they were caught.
Old May 4th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Since I have only cruised the Caribbean, and once to Caracas, on the southern itinerary, this rule is new to me...I honestly don't remember, if they told us this rule, as we were bussed to Caracas.

I think people just grab a piece of fruit to eat as a snack..our excursion that day was almost 12 hours! I would wonder if they would accept a credit card for this...many people I suspect, walk off the ship with more credit cards than cash.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old May 5th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Passenger

In reference to bringing snacks off the ship: Many people have to have specific 'between meal' snacks for health reasons (such as pre-diabetes or diabetes), and hesitate to eat food purchased in foreign ports - especially fruit. Hence, pieces of fruit or nuts/crackers are taken from the ship.
Old May 5th, 2009, 10:55 PM
Captain

It is written in the daily program and there are signs posted.
If someone needs a snack for a medical reason, they need to plan ahead and have packaged crackers or such. They do not have to have a piece of fruit in order to keep their sugar balanced. There are very good reasons for those rules and it is not simply 'harrassment'.

It is always safe to eat a piece of fruit you peel yourself. A banana, an orange so they can safely be purchased.

Yes....... I know someone is going to start the 'but I'm going on an excursion and don't know where the store is' blah blah blah thing. Plan ahead.
Old May 8th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by granite
In reference to bringing snacks off the ship: Many people have to have specific 'between meal' snacks for health reasons (such as pre-diabetes or diabetes), and hesitate to eat food purchased in foreign ports - especially fruit. Hence, pieces of fruit or nuts/crackers are taken from the ship.
When you bring fruit into a foreign country, you may be not realize it, but you brining a disease or bug that are not native to the port/country. Several years ago an unknowing cargo ship from Asia imported the asian long horned beetle into Canada. This beetle has no known predators in Canada and it's now wiped out entire forests in the Canadian Rockies.