Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 11th, 2009, 05:41 PM
Admiral

Default Looks Like Corkage has gone to $18

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bringing Alcoholic Beverages Onboard

Except for wine and champagne, alcoholic beverages purchased in the vessel's shops or otherwise brought on the ship cannot be consumed on the ship. Bottles and other containers will be collected for safekeeping and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the voyage.

A corkage fee of US$18.00 applies to wine and champagne brought to the restaurants or bars for consumption.

Room Service offers reduced-price stateroom beverage packages for in-stateroom consumption of alcoholic beverages.
Sponsored Links
Old May 11th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Boy that's high! The last time I was on a cruise, Beringers white zin, was $22.00....like $7.00 at home...Who would bother to bring any wine, and then pay that charge? I would just pay the price onboard...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old May 12th, 2009, 01:58 PM
Admiral

It's better than Celebrity, they charge $25
Old May 12th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Admiral

it would cost more than the bottle is worth
Old May 12th, 2009, 04:46 PM
First Mate

Before I pay these highway prices I will continue bringing my wine in my own glass from my room and dare them to take it away from me. Have said numerous times in the past they would sell many more bottles at mealtime if they would offer prices in the 15-20 dollar range and based upon the prices of many foreign ones they could make a handsome profit and possably sell some wine. It is my opinion that they are not going to sell more by raising the corkage charge.
Old May 13th, 2009, 10:56 AM
Cruise Maniac

Don't forget that they also add 15% gratuity to the 18$ so that bings the total to $21.70
Old May 13th, 2009, 11:33 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCruiseBooker
Don't forget that they also add 15% gratuity to the 18$ so that bings the total to $21.70
I've never paid a gratuity ontop of a Corkage. It's a flat charge.
Old May 13th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

I just did the Panama Canal on the Statendam and brought 3 bottles of wine each evening for my group... I was charged $17.25 for each bottle... $15 plus the 15% .... I paid almost $700 in corkage... we only saved $$ b/c I purchased higher priced wines and checked what they charged for those bottles prior to the cruise... we only saved about $5 -$10 per bottle but of course that adds up... still not quite worth dealing with 8 cases of wine in my cabin...lol ...

I am currently planning a Baltic Cruise on the Eurodam for June2010.. Idon't think I will be doing the same thing... just a few bottles for myself rather than trying to please everyone's tastes.
Old May 13th, 2009, 03:13 PM
Admiral

Quote:
I just did the Panama Canal on the Statendam and brought 3 bottles of wine each evening for my group... I was charged $17.25 for each bottle... $15 plus the 15% .... I paid almost $700 in corkage... we only saved $$ b/c I purchased higher priced wines and checked what they charged for those bottles prior to the cruise... we only saved about $5 -$10 per bottle but of course that adds up... still not quite worth dealing with 8 cases of wine in my cabin...lol ...

I am currently planning a Baltic Cruise on the Eurodam for June2010.. Idon't think I will be doing the same thing... just a few bottles for myself rather than trying to please everyone's tastes.
Wow, I've never paid a gratuity on corkage in my life and we usually take one or two bottles on each cruise.
Old May 13th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackypup
Quote:
When was the last time you sailed on a HAL ship, because for the last couple of years, they have been adding 15% gratuity on all drinks bought on board fro either a waiter or bartender - that includes non-alcoholic drinks and soda pop.
Old May 13th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackypup
Quote:
When was the last time you sailed on a HAL ship, because for the last couple of years, they have been adding 15% gratuity on all drinks bought on board fro either a waiter or bartender - that includes non-alcoholic drinks and soda pop.
I'm confused about your statement, we're talking about paying a gratuity on top of a corkage charge, nothing about buying a drink onboard.

I've just googled a couple of cruiselines on corkage and most it looks like if the ships charges $15.00 corkage, it's actually only charging around $13.80 and the tip is built in. Maybe HAL doesn't do that, but I'd be outraged to see a 15% gratuity on a corkage bill.

According to this article which is now a bit old, Costa was the only one that added a gratuity to a corkage. Maybe it's something new on HAL, regardless, I won't be signing for any gratuity on my corkage.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...d/4749232.html
Old May 14th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Cruise Maniac

So i just pulled out one of my receipts for the restaurant from the Statendam and i was wrong...

CORKAGE WAS $15.65 PLUS the gratuity was %15 which brought the total to $18... maybe that is the 'new' charge we are talking about.