Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 13th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Beginner

Default Statendam Glacier Cruise

Hello everyone, we are sailing on the Statendam in August for 14 days on the Glacier Discovery cruise, which means that we will be visiting some ports twice. Can anyone recommend excursions that are not to be missed? We are travelling from England and are in our early 50's, we both love animals and natural wonders.
Another area where we would like some advice would be on formal evening attire. I know that this has been touched on before but as previous Cunard passengers we know that 'formal' means that virtually everybody will we dressed up to the nines. I really love wearing glamourous evening wear but I do not want to pack it if it is not necessary, but on the other hand I would like to abide to the ships dress code.
Thank you in anticipation.
It may take a while to reply to nay messages that you leave as we are not regular users of the computer.[/b]
Sponsored Links
Old May 13th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Admiral

Welcome to Cruise Mates.

If you could give us a list of the ports you will be visiting, I am sure you will get lots of suggestions as to various excursions.

I have found on the various Alaska cruises that I have done, that people don't dress up as much for formal nights as they do in the Caribbean. One reason being that some folks will be doing an in-land tour and don't want to drag along too many clothes. Also, you have to be prepared for rain/cold/hot/mild weather in Alaska and it's not easy packing especially when they airlines restrict the amount of baggage allowed on the plane.

Seeing as you are coming from so far, I think your husband will look fine in a business suit instead of a tux and a couple of nice dresses, either short or long or dressy pants & top will be fine for you.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.
Old May 15th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Familiar Face

I just returned from a cruise on the Statendam. She is a lovely ship with great crew. You will love her. My experiance has been that there are always people that dress up on formal nights and others not so much. Please feel free to dress up very formal if you wish. I tend to bring one fairly formal dress and then a dressy pants suit so I can choose how I feel that night. It seems people tend to dress up more on Alaska cruises then southern (i.e. Mexico) cruises.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old May 16th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Beginner

Default also on a b2b Glacier Cruise on Statendam

leaving June 7th. Second trip on Statendam to AK. First one 4 years ago.
We will taking formal gear- White dinner jacket for DH and fnacy pants suits for DW. Smart Casual on the other hand does not require a Sport Jacket- a collared shirt and tie will work.

These are the excursions we will be taking after considerable research:

Orca whale watching in Juneau

Ididaride Kennel and Alaska Wildlife in Seward

Bearing Crab Ship in Ketchican.

We did White Pass and Yukon RR in Skagway on our first trip but you should definitely consider not missing it.

there are ample walking tour guides for the ports available- we will be doing a lot of that.

have a great trip
Old May 22nd, 2009, 12:41 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Soundsgreat6

ditto on the White Pass train wonderfull excursion, did it about 6 years ago. Our cuise was the last out of Vancouver in September late the weather was fine, even then. Only had a lite rain jacket just in case and one sweater. For the formal wear Tux for me nice evening gown for thew wife. But think I might just go with suit on next cruise in October.
Great cruise to alsaka have fun. "Always a great day for a Cruise"