Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 21st, 2009, 07:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Eurodam Private Pool?

I have yet to cruise on the Eurodam but am going in November. I have read about the "Private Resort like Pool" that costs per day to use.

Has anyone tried it? Is it worth the money and is there really a private pool for a few (?) to use? Is it an open pool? I've been on Holland many times and have used the enclosed pool and aft pool, but this is a first and before I get excited I thought I would ask.
Sponsored Links
Old June 22nd, 2009, 07:44 AM
Admiral

I believe you are talking about the Hydro pool in the Spa, which is sort of like like a big jacuzzi. You can't swim in it if that's what you are looking for.

I wouldn't call it private - anyone can use it but you pay for it. You can buy a day package or a weekly package. I tried it last cruise and found the water was just too forceful for me - I have bad knees and back and thought the warm circulating water would help me, but at one point I was nearly knocked over from the force of the water. A lot of people love it and find it relaxing - I did not.

The price of using it includes the use of the steam room, and the heated ceramic tables.

Check out HAL's web site - I am sure you will find something about the SPA facilities there.
Old June 22nd, 2009, 11:21 AM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks DeeDee.

Actually, on the Eurodam is states that there is a private resort like setting out on deck, on the Observation deck and some on the Lido deck by the pool. I know what you are talking about when you mention the Hydro Spa, which I too do not like. This other is only on the Eurodam but I can not find anyone who has used it.

Di
Old June 22nd, 2009, 12:34 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaikui
Thanks DeeDee.

Actually, on the Eurodam is states that there is a private resort like setting out on deck, on the Observation deck and some on the Lido deck by the pool. I know what you are talking about when you mention the Hydro Spa, which I too do not like. This other is only on the Eurodam but I can not find anyone who has used it.

Di
Di, - we were on the Eurodam in March, and yes there is a private resort like setting out on the Observation deck, but there is no private pool. The only two pools are the aft & the midship domed pool both on the Lido deck.

I still suggest you go into HAL's website, click on "On board Our Ships" and then Eurodam and you will see these "private cabanas". They have them on the observation deck and on both sides of the midship pool.

Personally I think the ones that are on the midship pool take up a lot of room. I saw some people sitting in them, but then I saw people using them to store their belongings and using the lounges by the pool. That meant that 2 people were taking up 4 lounges instead of two. Made some of us kind of grumpy.

Check out the deck plans "Observation Deck" and you will see The Retreat. I don't know how much these cost or even if they are worth it. We wouldn't pay for them, but you might.

Hope this helps.

I just checked out the Eurodam Virtual Tours & Video - Eurodam Highlights and you get a quick glance of the Retreat on the Observation deck and the Cabanas on the Lido deck midships.
Old June 22nd, 2009, 12:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks..........I don't think we will use them either. We like to be in the sun and by the pool for easy dipping. We are going over Thanksgiving to the Carib and it might be hard to get a spot on sea days, but we usually skip breakfast and go out early
Old June 22nd, 2009, 01:47 PM
Admiral

Have fun, Di.

Do eat dinner one night at the Tamarind. We ate there twice in March and enjoyed it. Didn't try Canaletto, but may the next time.

We'll be back on the ship for Christmas.

It's a BIG ship and lots of walking.
Old June 22nd, 2009, 03:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

I just booked dinner reservations, thanks for the suggestion.

Diane
Old June 24th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaikui
I just booked dinner reservations, thanks for the suggestion.

Diane
We were on the Eurodam in April, and tried Canaletto. The food was very very good and there was no extra charge. I do suggest you make reservations, they were pretty full in our cruise. Have a great cruise.
Old June 25th, 2009, 12:35 AM
Cruise Maniac

Thank you..........they do not offer the Canaletto for reservations prior to the cruise like the other restaurants. We will be sure to book once we get on board, thanks again for the heads up
Old July 9th, 2009, 09:37 PM
Captain

We were on Eurodam two weeks in March and saw the Retreat Cabanas. They didn't appeal much to us but I can understand why a large family or group might like to have one (or a few) as a good meeting place. You can reserve it for the week and I think most were taken on our cruise.

We're another vote for Tamarind. We enjoyed two or three dinners there and thought it wonderful!

We're returning for two more cruises in January.