Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 12th, 2009, 07:31 PM
Beginner

Default Holland America is Insensitive to Clients Problems

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We have been on 8 different cruises with different cruise lines. We decided to try Holland America, Princendam for a 26 day cruise. We put down a deposit for a cruise to the Amazon. That's when the problems started. Cardiac tests got booked and possibly a restriction on getting the yellow fever shot. We called the travel agent to cancel the trip and move the deposit to a different cruise.
- latter date, after the cardiac tests
- no yellow fever shots required
- shorter cruise to limit the risks of medical problems
Holland America cancelled the trip and told us the formal letter to cancel arrived 2 days after the cut off date. Of course we called the week before, drafted the letter on the weekend and sent it on Monday.
Sorry, nothing we can do!
This is the only cruise line or vacation spot that has be so insensitive to their clients.
Sponsored Links
Old August 12th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Admiral

Did you take travel cancellation or health insurance?
Old August 12th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Beginner

we were in the deposit stage. We were arranging the insurance and the final payment when the medical issues came up.
The TA asked for a formal letter to cancel. We are both at fault not realizing that the cut off date was 2 days before the formal letter was received.
Old August 13th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Familiar Face

Sounds to me Holland America did nothing wrong, you did.
You decided to cancel, not Holland America. You didn't have travel insurance at the time needed. You didn't read up on the rules.

So I don't understand why you blame Holland America for your mistakes.

I would sea: Learn from your mistakes and move on.

Have fun on your next cruise.
November 2010: Norwegian Jade: Western Mediterranean
January 2012: HAL Eurodam: Eastern Caribbean
May 2012 HAL: Noordam: Transatlantic Riviera

Upcomming:
HAL Westerdam: Panama Canal
Old August 14th, 2009, 11:57 AM
First Mate

Default Cancelled Cruise

I agree that HAL did nothing wrong. We have to remember that cruise lines are a business and have procedures in place for a reason.

I am very sorry this happened to you and hope you have no serious health issues but I would rather put the blame on the TA who should be aware of the rules and time lines. Their job is to look after you.

Tulum Mexico Resort Reviews

Splendour of the Seas 97
Veendam 05
Westerdam 06
Serenade of the Seas 07
Liberty of the Seas 07
Jewel of the Seas 08
Westerdam 09
Volendam 09
Solstice 10
Solstice 10
Caribbean Princess 11
Nieuw Amsterdam 11
Oasis of the Seas 12
Queen Elizabeth 12
Eurodam 13
Carnival Valor 13
Carnival Fantasy 14
Constellation 14
Old August 14th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Grandpap...

Even if HAL did nothing wrong legally, it is a little insensitive of people not to at least say "sorry about that."

You notified them of your intentions before the letter was due. It would have been nice if a note was placed in your file that it was being drafted and giving you a few extra days.

As always - the best thing to do is to contact the cruise line and explain the situation and ask NICELY if the deposit can be transferred to a different cruise. You have receipts, etc, right? Put together all your records and see if you can talk to a real human being. Cruise Lines aren't likely to give your money back, but they just might book you a new cruise which is all you wanted anyway.

Good luck!
Old August 18th, 2009, 10:14 PM
Captain

Please correct me if I am wrong but on the other board where you posted this, after much conversation, didn't it it end up that you notified your TA but your TA failed to notify HAL?

You may wish to update and correct this if I remember correctly.

Also...... wasn't it resolved through your TA when you confirmed with them their failure to act on your behalf in a timely manner?

It's always good to be fair and tell 'the rest of the story' as it evolves.
Old August 19th, 2009, 01:28 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail7seas
Please correct me if I am wrong but on the other board where you posted this, after much conversation, didn't it it end up that you notified your TA but your TA failed to notify HAL?

You may wish to update and correct this if I remember correctly.

Also...... wasn't it resolved through your TA when you confirmed with them their failure to act on your behalf in a timely manner?

It's always good to be fair and tell 'the rest of the story' as it evolves.
Thank you for adding this information for the rest of us, puts a lot in perspective. I think Grandpap just did at hit and run: Bash HAL (and release emotional pressure), see if he would get support........if not----> next forum, try again.
I don't expect him to return here.

Upcomming:
Old August 25th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Beginner

you are correct. The post is complete. I posted here and got little response in the beginning. I should have come back to update.

First I notified the TA, then asked to have the deposit moved to another cruise. HAL refused to transfer the deposit.

The TA came back with the complete deposit. It was her fault. She did indicate a latter date for the full refund. It was the TA's mistake.

I was surprised that HAL did not try to help when we suggested a different cruise.

Sorry to leave everyone hanging. I did forget to come back.
Old August 27th, 2009, 10:50 PM
Captain

I don't understand why you continue to say HAL should have done more.
Your TA has refunded all your money. What is the problem if you want to book a different HAL cruise...... simply book it. HAL has no need to do anything other than take any new bookings you wish to make. What is this about they should transfer your money. It's even better; they gave it back to you. Do with it what you wish.

The original cruise was cancelled and you got your money back. It is over.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 10:34 PM
Admiral

"Thank you for adding this information for the rest of us, puts a lot in perspective. I think Grandpap just did at hit and run: Bash HAL (and release emotional pressure), see if he would get support........"

There has been a considerable amount of such sour grapes around here of late. HAL seems to be a favorite whipping boy.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old October 26th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Beginner

Default Maybe Holland America deserves sour grapes!!

Sometimes I wonder if companies are living in the same environment that my business does? Attitudes like Holland America's, is what causes otherwise docile, complacent citizens to create "CompanyName"Sucks.com web sites!!!

Companies need to provide a basic level of service to help customers. Being a customer advocate is a simply a price of entry for successful companies today. No customer wants to hear readings from an organization's policy manual about what a company will or won't do because a deadline was missed by a day. Employees of the best companies have latitude to make decisions. And, if HA worries that making small refunds might bankrupt them, then we have much more to worry about booking any Holland America cruise.

The facts are that when customers have good customer experiences they become advocates for the company. Big supporters, and defenders. When they have bad customer experiences, they become detractors, spending their own time writing about how bad the customer experience is on message boards.

I am going through my own nightmare with Holland America just now. Curiously, they have told me that everything revolves around the TA... So, contacting the agent seems to be what Holland America wants their customers to do.

They can't have it both ways.
Old October 27th, 2009, 12:56 PM
Familiar Face

Default Re: Maybe Holland America deserves sour grapes!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmprof
I am going through my own nightmare with Holland America just now.
NO, you're NOT. You're going through a nightmare with your travel agent. Don't try to blame this on HAL. People like you are trying to get compensation from the rest of us just because you made a poor judgement.

Good luck with your TA

Boudewjin

Upcomming:
Old October 28th, 2009, 10:55 PM
Captain

As everyone pointed out to you 'on the other board' where you told your tale of discontent with HAL, you must go through your TA to handle any booking arrangements with HAL. YOU CHOSE THAT TA and you booked with him. You made it clear on the 'other board' that your TA refused to take your calls or contact you. Why is that HAL's fault?

Get a better TA next time.

This is the same story as the OP....... a bad TA messed up your reservation as well as the OP of this thread.

Put the blame where it belongs.... on the TA you chose to book with.