CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Holland America (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/holland-america/)
-   -   Disembarkation Info Port Everglades (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/holland-america/367142-disembarkation-info-port-everglades.html)

alshasta August 16th, 2009 12:47 PM

Disembarkation Info Port Everglades

Cruising on the Zuiderdam in Oct 09. Ship scheduled to arrive in Port Everglades at 7:00 am. How do we get an early disembarkation. The only flight out was at 9:30 at Ft Lauderdale. I'm concerned we may not be able to make the flight. Any info wouod be appreciated.

DeeDee August 16th, 2009 04:34 PM

A 9:30 flight, is taking a BIG chance, unless everything goes perfectly.

IF the ship arrives on time, IF it's cleared on time, then you may possibly make it, but there are so many IF's.

You will get a letter in your cabin asking you to fill it out as to your disembarkation plans........fill it out and return it to the Front Desk immediately - don't put it in the drop box, but hand it to one of the Front Desk gals/guys. Your best bet is to take Express Luggage - you carry off your own luggage and are first off the ship.

The airport is only about 15 mins. from the port and there will be lots of taxis outside.

Good Luck!

Trip August 17th, 2009 06:59 PM

Boy, I hope everthing goes your way......also consider once you get to the airport, the security line will cut into any time you made. So many other ships as well are unloading their passengers, so, be prepared..I hope you make it

DeeDee August 17th, 2009 09:39 PM

After reading Trip's post, I forgot about all the other ships in port that day, check-in & security at the airport ......... I don't see how you are going to make a 9:30am flight. There are always long line-up for check-in and security and even if you make it off the ship in time, you could be held up at the airport.

Have you checked flights out of Miami? If there is one leaving after 12pm, you might want to consider leaving from there.

If you can't get a flight out of Miami, then I would suggest staying overnight in Fort Lauderdale and taking a flight out the next day.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck.

Trip August 17th, 2009 10:24 PM

You really need a Plan B.......:(

sail7seas August 18th, 2009 10:15 PM

Big mistake. It is almost impossible you can make that flight.

alshasta August 23rd, 2009 11:21 AM

Disembarkation Info Port Everglades

Thank you all for your assistance. At least now I know to have a contingency plan if all doesnt go well.

Kamloops Cruiser August 23rd, 2009 07:13 PM

The cruise lines usually don't recommend that you book flights that leave before 12PM for Domestic and 2:30 PM for international.

alshasta October 27th, 2009 07:28 PM

We made it, I am not sure the worry was worth it but we made our flight. We did the express check out, front desk did not want to share the disembark floor because the door area gets crowded.

We were ready to go at 7am, looked out the window and saw the ramp and stood near the door, wasn't long before a crowd gathered. Customs was quick, taxi's just out the door.

We checked our luggage at the curb and took as little as possible through security. We made it and had time for coffee, thanks so much for all your advise. If it wasn't for the difference of having a 5 hour trip home vs a 12 hour trip home we wouldn't have taken the chance.

p.s. Sorry if we stepped on toes dashing around!

Trip October 27th, 2009 07:30 PM

Good news, and I hope you had a fabulous cruise....

alshasta October 28th, 2009 10:09 AM

Thank you Trip. It was a great cruise.

karen2cruise October 28th, 2009 10:30 AM

Thanks for letting us know you made it. We have a similar thing happening (10:40 flight) and have a contigency plan as well. We plan on doing the self disembark.