Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 21st, 2009, 09:53 PM
Beginner

Default Eurodam Family Cruise

I’m taking my family on the Eurodam for a Southern Caribbean Cruise. First time on Holland America. Any advice? Looking forward to a great vacation.
Sponsored Links
Old August 22nd, 2009, 01:28 PM
Admiral

Have drinks in the Silk Den and then dinner in the Tamarind - I think it's $10.00pp for dinner. They also serve lunch which is free. We ate dinner there twice on our last cruise and thoroughly enjoyed it. Going again in December and will no doubt have dinner there again.

Have a great cruise.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 09:38 PM
Beginner

Thanks Dee Dee.
I have one more questions. Can you bring a bottle of wine on board Holland America?
Thanks again.
Old August 23rd, 2009, 07:16 AM
Admiral

Dan - you can bring as much wine/champagne as you want on board. Just no liquor or beer.

Also people take cases water on board - why I don't know because HAL's water is just as good or even better than all this bottled water. At least you know where HAL's water comes from......they have a desalization plant on board. Water from the tap or the Lido is free, but they charge for bottled water. I always take a wide-mouth water bottle with me or buy one in the shops; then I fill it with ice and water from the Lido.

Also they allow you to bring on soda pop - HAL only sells Coke products; this includes Sprite.

Any more questions, please just ask. When are you going on the Eurodam?

Dee
Old August 24th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Beginner

Dee,
We will be going on the New Years cruise to Aruba. My family can not wait!
Old August 24th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-O
Dee,
Too bad, we'll be getting off as you get on. Have a WONDERFUL time. You are probably doing the same itinerary as we are - lots of sea days - yippee....... Half Moon Cay, Curacao and Aruba.
Old August 28th, 2009, 11:10 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Joko Joan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-O
Dee,
Too bad, we'll be getting off as you get on. Have a WONDERFUL time. You are probably doing the same itinerary as we are - lots of sea days - yippee....... Half Moon Cay, Curacao and Aruba.
I'm assuming that you are going on the Christmas cruise? If so, we will be joining you. Have you been on this ship before?

Future Cruises:
9/12/09 - Carnival Glory
11/21/09 - Carnival Freedom
12/19/09 - Holland America's Eurodam
Old August 29th, 2009, 08:36 AM
Admiral

Jocko Joan "I'm assuming that you are going on the Christmas cruise? If so, we will be joining you. Have you been on this ship before?"

Yes, we will be on the Christmas cruise and we were on the ship last March. Although I found the ship very large, we did enjoy ourselves.

We had dinner in the Tamarind twice and enjoyed it very much. We didn't eat in the Pinnacle as we have had dinner there many times on other ships and we wanted to try something different. We also didn't eat in the Canaletto but plan to do so this time.

Any questions, please ask and I'll try and help you.

Dee
Old August 30th, 2009, 01:46 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDee
[b]
We had dinner in the Tamarind twice and enjoyed it very much. We didn't eat in the Pinnacle as we have had dinner there many times on other ships and we wanted to try something different. We also didn't eat in the Canaletto but plan to do so this time.

Any questions, please ask and I'll try and help you.

Dee
Dee: As I haven't sailed on HAL for a long time now, I was wondering if the eating places that you mentioned are specialty dining areas at an extra charge?

A relative's family were going to cruise with HAL but cancelled when they felt that they were being "nickel & dimed" to death including the children's area. I sensed that this might start a trend in the future to help them make ends meet especially when they sail without having all the cabins filled. What are your feelings, if I might ask?
Joko Joan

Future Cruises:
9/12/09 - Carnival Glory
Old August 31st, 2009, 01:16 PM
Admiral

[/quote]

Dee: As I haven't sailed on HAL for a long time now, I was wondering if the eating places that you mentioned are specialty dining areas at an extra charge?

A relative's family were going to cruise with HAL but cancelled when they felt that they were being "nickel & dimed" to death including the children's area. I sensed that this might start a trend in the future to help them make ends meet especially when they sail without having all the cabins filled. What are your feelings, if I might ask?
Joko Joan
[/quote]

Joan - yes three is an extra charge for the 2 speciality restaurants. I believe it's $20.00 pp at the Pinnacle and $10.00 pp for dinner at the Tamarind - both well worth the extra charge. Lunch at Tamarind is free and also dinner at Canaletto is free.

Rarely does a ship sail without having all the cabins filled, so I doubt it's the start of a trend help them make ends meet. They have always charged for the Pinnacle, and often you can't get a reservation there. The 2 nights we ate at the Tamarind, it was very busy.

I don't understand why your friends think HAL was nickel and diming them to death, especially if they've never sailed on a cruise ship before. Every cruise ship/line charges extra for the specialty restaurants, as far as I know. And I don't understand what you mean by them being nickel & dimes re the children's area. Club HAL is FREE to all children who want to join up - there's no charge for HAL. I think your friends are getting some inaccurate information from someone. Too bad they cancelled.

HAL does have FREE ICE CREAM - many, many lines charge for the ice cream bar.

I'd like to know where these folks thought there were being nickled & dimed before they even set foot on the ship.
Old August 31st, 2009, 03:34 PM
Passenger

[b]
I'd like to know where these folks thought there were being nickled & dimed before they even set foot on the ship. [/quote]

DeeDee: I really don't know where they got there info. from, but for myself, personally, I am so looking forward to this cruise. I am one who likes to form my own opinions on the ships, ports of call, etc. I chose the Eurodam particularly for its itinerary, which seemed very interesting to me, and I look forward to exploring the ship.

We have never cruised over the Christmas holiday. I was wondering if anyone else has done this? Do they have any extra activities at this time?

Future Cruises:
9/12/09 - Carnival Glory
Old August 31st, 2009, 05:21 PM
Admiral

Quote:
We have never cruised over the Christmas holiday. I was wondering if anyone else has done this? Do they have any extra activities at this time?

We've been many times over the Christmas holidays. The ship is beautifully decorated - flowers, decoration, Christmas trees, a Hanukah Menorah; Santa arrives Christmas morning for the children; there's a Carol Sing in the Show Lounge with the many of the Officers and crew one evening - I think it was held Christmas Eve, but I'm not sure.

I can't think of any particular extra activities but as we have so many sea days this year, they may do something extra.

It's so different being in a hot climate at Christmas instead of at home with ice and snow.
Old August 31st, 2009, 07:29 PM
Passenger

[quote="DeeDee"]
Quote:
It's so different being in a hot climate at Christmas instead of at home with ice and snow.

DeeDee: We've pretty much have gotten used to doing Christmas in a hot climate when we moved down here to Florida.

I've just gone through HAL's site and read up on all the happenings on the Eurodam. All the restaurants sounds exciting. I've read over the tours but I'll have to look them over again before I decide what we'll be doing.

Since we have a cruise in 12 days and another one for Thanksgiving - I'm tending to get them all jumbled together.

Future Cruises:
9/12/09 - Carnival Glory