Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 26th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Beginner

Default Trays in Lido

Hi all! I heard on the HAL facebook that they took the trays from the Statendam Lido due to food being wasted. Has anybody heard this? Are they doing this on every ship! Sailing on the Statendam 10/16, so I'll let you know! Thanks for your response & happy cruising!
Sponsored Links
Old September 26th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Admiral

I don't know if it was because of food being wasted, but I've heard that the trays have been taken away in the Lido on all the ships.

Also read somewhere that they will not allow you to bring your own tray.

Don't know how this will work out for us, but we'll know on our next cruise.

Please come back and let us know your feelings about "no trays" after your cruise.

Have a great one.
Old September 26th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Captain

Trays have been removed from Lido on all HAL ships.

We sailed Maasdam three cruises this summer without use of trays and I found it a little annoying. I much prefer having them but.......

I do not believe they will permit people to bring their own trays.

We managed fine but given the choice, I would opt for them to return trays for our use but that is highly unlikely to happen.
Old September 27th, 2009, 02:17 AM
Admiral

I have heard of people using the trays from Room service and bringing them to the Lido restaurant and using them there.
Old September 28th, 2009, 11:19 AM
Beginner

Default Thank you!

Very interesting! Thank you for your responses!
Old September 28th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Passenger

I wonder why they removed the trays, was it because of a health hazard, if if was for less food on your tray that would not make any sense because you can always go back for a second helping if you needed it.
Zuiderdam 2006
Westerdam 2007
Statendam 2008
River Odyssey 2008
Prinsendam 2009
Volendam Booked for 10-26-09
Bizet Booked for 5- 7-10
Old September 28th, 2009, 12:14 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsalt
I wonder why they removed the trays, was it because of a health hazard, if if was for less food on your tray that would not make any sense because you can always go back for a second helping if you needed it.
Just as when Princess removed trays from the lido I would believe it was done for cost savings. Removing the trays saves labor and water from having less to wash. Gee: It can be considered "green".

With no trays it also "encourages" people to not over indulge and waste food.

I know trays can be helpful if you have a mobility problem but otherwise I personally find them an unneeded addition.

As Oldsalt said: "You can always go back for a second helping."

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 28th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Admiral

The cruiselines figures if there are no trays will take less and they save money .
Old September 28th, 2009, 09:50 PM
Captain

Room Service trays are too large to use. Not suitable at all IMO

I have heard of them asking people to not use their own trays so I wouldn't recommend bringing one.
Old September 29th, 2009, 10:29 AM
First Mate

Default HAL Taking Away Trays

Thanks for the posting on the trays. No doubt the question---what next? I will pass along this story that originated many years ago in the New York Times. There was an offshore service company out of Louisiana, that provided employees for off shore rigs. The company decided to recover some of their cost so they started charging the people for silverware. I hope I don't put any ideas into HAL management's head!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:
Old September 29th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I hate this...trying to carry the plate, the drink, the cutlery,and, making it to the table is a grrrrrr

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old September 29th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Passenger

Trip, you will have to buy one of those khaki vests with all the pockets,cutlery in one pocket,bread rolls in the other,for the bread pudding you will have to line your one of your pockets with a zip-lock bag.
Zuiderdam 2006
Westerdam 2007
Statendam 2008
River Odyssey 2008
Prinsendam 2009
Bizet Booked for 5- 7-10
Old September 29th, 2009, 06:49 PM
Admiral

Old Salt, Yes, we can design a real trendy & fashionale one.. great colors, ships logo's, multi pockets, with velcro! To be sold in the ship boutiques, at a highly inflated price, and, we will become rich..just you and moi lol

Old September 29th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Passenger

Lets not forget to add a bladder for the booze complete with a rubber hose for sipping the nectar.
Zuiderdam 2006
Westerdam 2007
Statendam 2008
River Odyssey 2008
Prinsendam 2009
Bizet Booked for 5- 7-10
Old September 29th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Admiral

Ok good idea!!! I even have a name for them. Tres Chic

Old October 6th, 2009, 09:39 AM
Passenger

We first experienced "no tray syndrome" on the Eurodam in April and assumed it affected just the big new ships, so sad to hear it is across the fleet.

We were told that it was "hygiene" but cost is probably the real reason.

We pointed out that, while we could go back several times, that would increase the to-and-fro traffic in the Lido (which, on the Eurodam, was a problem) but that too fell on deaf ears.

Anyway, put us down for a couple of those jackets, please :-)
Old October 6th, 2009, 10:16 PM
Admiral

I know this may seem odd or funny but HAL removing the trays from the buffet reminds me of Walmart.
It seems that every year around the last of Sept-Ist of October the little hand baskets disappear from the Walmart stores--at least here where I live. I've noticed this for the past few years and have asked the same question of several " management " people---" what happened to the hand baskets?" --always get the same pat answer--" people carry them out and take them home so we're out of them"---then after Christmas season-first of the year, they reappear.
What I do to get around this-- (if I'm only getting a few items) I first go to the paint or hardware area--pick out a bucket that's the size I feel I'll need to hold my few purchases-- place my items in it--when I get to the check out, I'll unload the bucket and then tell the check-out person--" I don't want this bucket ". Sounds mean of me in a way but I figure Walmart takes away the hand baskets purposely until the holiday season is over-- So, whatever they can come up with, I can figure a way around it.
Maybe the next time I sail HAL I'll bring an old Army mess kit !!
Old October 7th, 2009, 08:05 AM
Passenger

I think I'll take a bar stool and just sit at the counter to eat my breakfast.

If enough people do that we can pass stuff along to each other - someone by the coffee machine, someone near the cereals - without anyone having to get up.

And we won't really be in the way because no-one will have a tray that they need to push along the rails.
Old October 7th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Passenger

No need for the bar stool, just take one of those walking sticks that come with a pull out seat.
Zuiderdam 2006
Westerdam 2007
Statendam 2008
River Odyssey 2008
Prinsendam 2009
Bizet Booked for 5- 7-10
Old October 12th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Admiral

After my Carnival cruise, last week, I sure needed the trays..with my sometimes cane, it would have been a bit hard, but I always had a crew member, helping me if need be...

Old October 12th, 2009, 11:31 PM
Passenger

We just came of NCL. They used to have "platters" that were large enough to place food and drink onto. They now have standard size plates but they did add baskets of flatware rolls to each of the tables. I didn't realize that this was industry-wide.
Old November 21st, 2009, 06:56 PM
Familiar Face

Default Trays Anyone?

We travel many different cruise lines and, as indicated in some responses, policies do change. That is why I do drop by a 'dollar' type discount store in the cruise port area before boarding a buy an inexpensive tea tray. Then , while on board, I can (for example) graze the early morning danish buffet & coffee stations for treats to bring back to family members in our respective cabins. I especially find it useful again in the mid-afternoon during a lido stop-over for aquiring a tea and sweets selection to enjoy on our balcony. Our tray idea has proved especially useful during the lunch buffet at Half-Moon Cay wherein the walk to our cabana can be considerable. It works for us.
Old January 17th, 2010, 08:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

We were onboard Westerdam last week and during the "behind the scenes tour" it was stated that by removing the trays from Lido,the cruiseline is saving $20,000/week in wasted food.

I have no problem with them doing away with the trays, but I wish they would keep them if you opt to eat dinner in Lido. When they handed me a dish at dinner, the plate was so hot I almost scolded my hands. It was cumbersome trying to carry a very hot plate to my table without burning my hands. What annoyed me was that several staff members walked right past me and didn't offer to assist me, even though they could clearly see I was juggling the hot plate.

We love Westerdam, but the service this past week wasn't up to par with our two previous Westerdam cruises.

Jo-Ann