CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Holland America (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/holland-america/)
-   -   Booking Glacier Cruise May 2010 North or South Bound Better? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/holland-america/368711-booking-glacier-cruise-may-2010-north-south-bound-better.html)

nancymac623 October 13th, 2009 02:03 PM

Booking Glacier Cruise May 2010 North or South Bound Better?

My husband and I are booking a second Alaska cruise for May 2010. We took our first one (a 14 day tour / south boung cruise) 5 years ago and were very disappointed. We were disappointed because we expected to see lots of ice and snow, it's Alaska after all. But we went in late June (for our anniversary) and saw very little.

This time we are going on one of the first cruises in early May and we're booking a Glacier Discovery Cruise. We are just wondering if anyone who has taken these cruises has a preference for North or South bound cruising.

Thanks for any input.

DeeDee October 13th, 2009 02:26 PM

We did a 7 day trip last year early May - Vancouver to Vancouver......, Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay and Ketchikan. All we had was rain and fog and it was so bad that we never did make it in to Ketchikan as the seas were very rough and Ketchikan was fogged in.

I don't think you are going to see anymore snow or ice early in May, except maybe in Skagway. I have seen pictures of the White Mountain Pass Railway excursion showing lots of snow and it was beautiful.

Mind you living in Northern Ontario, we get enough snow and ice all winter so we couldn't have cared less whether we saw snow.

Glacier Bay was wonderful, but comparing pictures I took back in the 80's to the ones I took on the May cruise you can see just how the Glaciers are receding.

nancymac623 October 13th, 2009 02:29 PM

Goodness, that sounds discouraging. I know the glaciers are receding. I guess I need to do more research before I book.

Thanks for the input.

Mike L October 14th, 2009 05:44 PM

Alaska

We did Vancouver-Vancouver back in June. Junneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay and Ketchican. The weather was perfect all week. Highs mid 60's, lows upper 40's.

It was our first trip to Glacier Bay so to us it was spectacular....

zdgp October 26th, 2009 06:12 AM

We always go southbound so the shorter air travel is at the end of the cruise -- of course you pay a premium for southbound since it is more in demand.

billbelt December 31st, 2009 06:33 PM

Alaska

We have traveled to or from Alaska somewhere around 8-10 times (we lose count) and the only cruises we have not expierenced great glacier sights was in late summer. Every early cruise has been great with lots of snow and great glacier viewing, not to mention the winter fun along the way. We like the southbound trips out of Seward or Whittier. We always rent a car to get to the port and take some side trips along the way. Rentals are not pleantiful however each port has a major rent car company.Have a great trip!LOLLOL

Kamloops Cruiser January 9th, 2010 11:26 AM

We did a NB/SB on the Veendam in 2008 . We saw Hubbard glacier twice on one trip.
NB was cloudy and SB was sunny. In either case we got to within .5 miles of the face.