Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 24th, 2009, 03:13 PM
Admiral

Default Zuiderdam - Jan. 12/10 - Panama

This is our first cruise with HAL. We have done many others, primarily with RCL but, as I am in the business I felt this was another line we should be trying.

We have a VD guarantee and I'm told the balcony is deeper than others and the barrier is plexi glass. This sounds good to me as I do spend time out there reading.

Is there anything else anyone thinks I ought to know about this ship and cruise? We have been to Panama before but we usually do land vacations so, we have actually seen the canal before. We also live on the Welland Canal so we do find it interesting comparing the two.

Question about food - how are their steaks and do they have seafood, particularly lobster and shrimp? It appears we are on open seating - I do prefer traditional but I guess we'll give it a go.

Anyway, anything anyone can tell me would be appreciated.

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Sponsored Links
Old October 25th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Admiral

Steak I never order, but their roast beef is delicious.....we like it rare to medium rare - yummy!.

The only lobster you will see is small lobster tails, usually on one of the formal nights. Shrimp cocktail is served a couple of times.......jumbo shrimp maybe twice and the other times it's the small shrimps, like they have in Vancouver, BC. They might have King Crab legs one night.

I have no idea if the VD verandah's are deeper, as we always take an SS/SY, but I am sure someone on this board will know the answer.

Enjoy your cruise.
Old October 27th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Beginner

We are getting off the day you board the Zuiderdam. We are also booked on a VD and they are deeper than your regular balcony by 1.5 ft. We have had steaks and they are good specially if you go to Pinnacle Grill ($20 pp charge, but worth it!) As stated previously, the lobster tails are small but pretty good. It is served on one of the formal nights as surf and turf. We usually pass on the turf and get 2 lobster tails. the jumbo shrimp cocktail is excellent. Happy sailing!
Old October 28th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Familiar Face

We just got back from the same cruise on the Zuiderdam. Very nice ship. The service was impecible! This was some of the best food I have ever had on a cruise. We have been on other HAL ships but thye food here was far superior. I hope you have the same head chef as we did. You wont be lacking for seafood here. We had lobster two nights in the dining room, and it was excellent. If you want an excellent steak try the Pinnicle Grill on board. Also, they serve fish dishes including lobster every night of the cruise. We had a VA catagory balcony. It was a very nice stateroom. The only difference between the catagories is the location. Rooms are the same. I hope you enjoy thye cruiase as much as we did.
Old October 29th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jena1
We are getting off the day you board the Zuiderdam. We are also booked on a VD and they are deeper than your regular balcony by 1.5 ft. We have had steaks and they are good specially if you go to Pinnacle Grill ($20 pp charge, but worth it!) As stated previously, the lobster tails are small but pretty good. It is served on one of the formal nights as surf and turf. We usually pass on the turf and get 2 lobster tails. the jumbo shrimp cocktail is excellent. Happy sailing!
Jena are you on the rollcall at CC? I have seen your posts on CC, but I can't remember if you are on the rollcall? I am also on your sailing.

I have now achieved-
ONE HUNDRED DAYS ON A CRUISE SHIP!!!!!!!!!!
139 days total

Booked: Celebrity Silhouette November 23, 2014
Old November 9th, 2009, 01:07 PM
Beginner

I am on the roll call, as a matter of fact you quoted me towards the end when I said it was only 55 days, etc and you said you were counting now the weeks! See you soon!
Old November 10th, 2009, 11:10 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jena1
I am on the roll call, as a matter of fact you quoted me towards the end when I said it was only 55 days, etc and you said you were counting now the weeks! See you soon!
Yes, I saw your post after I posted here.

I have now achieved-
ONE HUNDRED DAYS ON A CRUISE SHIP!!!!!!!!!!
139 days total

Booked: Celebrity Silhouette November 23, 2014