Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 7th, 2009, 08:23 AM
Beginner

Default HAl versus Cunard?

Hi there, I have just joined this forum since I am looking for some info that I don't seem to be able to find on the website in question. So I hope that someone can maybe help me.
In August 2009 we sailed aboard the QM2, translatlantic from New York to Southampton and we had a WONDERFUL time. Nice and lively, LOADS to do every day and in short the trip just wasn't long enough.
We have also sailed on the Veendam and on the QE2.
By far the trip on the QM2 was the best.
While on board in August we booked 2 new consecutive trips on the QM2. One from NY to Halifax and Boston and then Transatlantic to Southampton.
However my dh has found a nice cruise in the new HAL brochure which would also take us from Boston to Amsterdam (on board the Maasdam) which would be great since we then don't have to fly from Southampton but sail directly into Amsterdam which I think would be really nice. Also the cruise with Holland America would stop at various places that I have always wanted to visit.
Now my question.
Our trip last year on the Veendam - except for the fact that we were in the most beautiful place in the world - Alaska - was VERY quiet. Night life was almost non-existent and what there was, was very sedate and not very well attended at all.
Dh and I are in our 50's but we definitely brought the average age of the passenger list down a bit.
Is this typical of HAL or just for this trip?
If we will be sailing for 17 days then I do want to have a livelier trip than the one last year in Alaska.
Any advice will be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old November 15th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Passenger

Smile

No comparison in ships,your mixing apples and oranges.
Zuiderdam 2006
Westerdam 2007
Statendam 2008
River Odyssey 2008
Prinsendam 2009
Volendam Booked for 10-26-09
Bizet Booked for 5- 7-10
Old November 15th, 2009, 08:45 PM
Admiral

Default HAL Versus Cunard

I don't know that you can compare. I think every cruise is different. I'm not a night-life person, either. I probably haven't answered your question, but like all travel, you have to take it as it comes.

Judy
Old November 17th, 2009, 05:09 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I have sailed on both ships, and the main thing to understand is that QM2 is in the business of selling transatlantic cruises. They have all kinds of onboard activities scheduled for cruisers every day which are fun and informative.

Holland America was once a "liner" company, but they are now a cruise line. The transatlantic portion of your cruise will be nothing like what you had on QM2, it will be much more like the Veendam - except without the ports. In other words, my guess is that you would find it to be extraordinarily quiet.

At age 50 I would fly to Europe and spend more time on a cruise that visits plenty of ports. I love Holland America, but they are qiuet ships best suited for port-filled itineraries, where you get an action packed day and a good night's sleep. You will not find much to do on a transatlantic on any HAL ship, sorry to say. Queen Mary 2 was one of the best cruises i have ever taken in terms of onboard activites however - surprising for 6 straight days at sea. I can see why you liked it.

Last edited by Paul Motter; November 17th, 2009 at 05:12 PM. Reason: spelling